A fishing rod to a fisherman is what a sword is to a knight. Whether you’re an expert or a novice, you’ll need the best all around fishing rod to catch your next target.
Fishing is not just a hobby, it’s an art. You need to know not just basic techniques such as sidearm cast, overhead cast and drop cast, but also advanced techniques such as flipping, skipping, and pitching.
However, a lot depends on the fishing rod as well. Hence, you need to be careful when picking one. Sadly, it can be quite a task, especially if you have no experience.
There are dozens of products out there but they are obviously not made equal. You need to be careful when selecting a rod.
Fishing rods can be categorized on the basis of length, fishing line, type, etc, but mostly, they are picked on the length factor and can vary from 2 feet (ice fish rods) to 14 feet (surf rods).
To make the job easier for you, we have listed down ten of the best all around fishing rods on the market. We studied all options, compared them, and created this list.
Best All Around Fishing Rods
Sougayilang Fishing Rod
- The Sougayilang Telescoping Travel Spinning Fishing Rods Are Made of High Density 24 Ton Carbon Fiber and E-Glass Composite for Great Power and Sensitivity. It's Light Weight and Perfectly Balanced, Thus Less Fatigue. Great Gift for Our Fisherman!
- The Exquisite Reel Seat Is Made of Corrosion Resistant CNC Machined Aluminum for Years of Worry Free Fishing.
- Three Point Welded Stainless Steel Guides with Ceramic Inserts for Use with Braided or Mono Fishing Line and Providing Saltwater Approved Corrosion Resistant and Power Control.
- Light Weight and Portable, Easily Fits In Car Trunk, Boat Hatch or Backpack. Sougayilang Telescopic Rods Allow You To Travel To Your Favorite Fishing Spot and Enjoy Fishing Whenever and Wherever You Want.
- Various Sizes and Lengths Available for Freshwater Bass Trout Fishing, Saltwater Surf Fishing or Inshore Fishing.
When it comes to best fishing rods, Sougayilang packs quite a punch. It’s affordable and offers great functionality.
Manufactured with graphite carbon fiber, it’s a durable product that makes is perfect not only for freshwater but also for saltwater.
- Corrosion resistance.
- Braided or mono (fishing line type).
- High density (24-ton carbon fiber).
- Telescopic rod.
- Lightweight – 1.1 pounds
This serves as the best fishing pole because it is telescopic. The telescope contains an E-glass and a carbon fiber which lets you spot and catch fish that are deep in the water.
There’s also a graphite coating on the top which protects the rod from corrosion. Therefore, this fishing rod is meant to survive for a long time even if used in saltwater.
It comes in a variety of lengths, ranging from 5.91 feet to 11.81 feet. Pick one that suits you the best. If you’re a beginner, we’d suggest you to start small as long rods can be a bit difficult to handle but they obviously offer more range.
This fishing rod provides medium pulling power and since it’s a lightweight rod, it won’t cause you any fatigue.
The reel seat has CNC machined aluminum coated on it which makes it corrosion resistant. Other than that, it can also be used as a spinning rod.
- 1-year warranty.
- Lifts 10 pounds of dead weight.
- The guide frame feels a little bit bulky.
- Difficulty in casting lures over 2 ounces.
- Difficulty in lining up the guide.
Fishermen who want to have a fishing rod that provides accuracy should go for the Sougayilang fishing rod.
UglyStik GX2 Spinning Rod
- Strong, yet balanced graphite and fiberglass construction
- Durable Ugly Tuff one piece stainless steel guides
- Clear Tip design for strength and sensitivity
- Durable and lightweight EVA grips
- 7-year warranty
Don’t let the word ‘ugly’ confuse you. This beauty has some amazing features to offer. Plus, it’s not even ugly to look at.
UglyStick is an ideal and calculated combo of balance and weight which makes it perfect for both big and small fish. The rod is quite long and allows deep fishing. Plus, it’s highly durable.
- 6 feet 6 inches length
- Medium-heavy pulling power.
- Perfect for both left and right-handers
- For both salt and freshwater use.
This is one of the best fishing rods because of its durability. It is constructed with fiberglass and graphite which gives it a sturdy coating.
If you are one of those fishermen who like to catch fish in style then you should consider this stylish fishing rod. It is easy to carry and lightweight as well. You can take it along, place it in your car trunk, too, without any trouble.
This is both the best fishing rod and reel because not only does the body have fiberglass and graphite but the reel seat, too, is made of the same materials. So expect the same durability in the reel seat as well. Moreover, the real seat is can carry dead fish weight of up to 30 pounds.
- Lightweight and durable.
- Strong enough to carry a lot of weight.
- Not much sensitivity.
- People prefer old ceramic guides over stainless steel.
- Real seats can be a bit flimsy if not maintained.
If you are looking for a durable fishing rod that’s light and stylish, then UglyStik GX2 will not disappoint you.
St Croix Triumph Spinning Rods
- PREMIUM SCII GRAPHITE CONSTRUCTION: Perfect for anglers who appreciate high-performance without high cost; Mid-modulus graphite fiber with a higher strain rate than common fibers; Most popular material that is lightweight, durable and sensitive
- PREMIUM-GRADE CORK HANDLE: Ensure you maintain a strong grip on your fishing rod
- MORE FEATURES: Fuji DPS reel seat with frosted silver hood; Hard aluminum-oxide guides with black frames; Two coats of Flex-Coat slow cure finish
- SPECIFICATIONS: Length – 7’; Power – M; Action – Fast; Pieces – 2; Line Wt. – 6-12 lbs; Lure Wt. – 1/4-5/8 oz; Rod Wt. – 4.5 oz; Handle - 5
- 5-YEAR WARRANTY: Backed by St. Croix Superstar Service
The St Croix Triumph fishing rod is a bit expensive but it’s worth the price. It has all that a fisherman dreams of. In short, it’s the best all around fishing rod on the market in terms of weight, performance, length, and durability.
- SCII graphite (premium quality).
- Reel seat has frosted silver hoods.
- 7 feet in length.
- 4 pounds only.
- Lure weight: ¼ – ⅝ oz.
- Line weight: 6 to 12 pounds.
It’s quite durable thanks to the aluminum oxide guides on it and the body being coated with graphite. You can expect the rod to last for many years.
The sensitivity factor in the rod is commendable. It lets you feel even the tiniest touches that happen on the rod underwater.
The length is 7 feet which is enough to lure a fish.
- Good sensitivity.
- Feels ultralight.
- No strain on the hands.
- Not much stiff.
- Foam handle gets wet when sweating.
- Might squeak a bit after months of use.
Everything about the St Croix Triumph fishing rod is premium and makes a huge impact. If you want to add professionalism to your fishing then this product will help you.
Fiblink Travel Casting Rod
- Sensitive and Solid Carbon Fiber Construction - Enhanced sensitivity of carbon composite rod. The rod delivers the extraordinary toughness of solid carbon fiber construction and precisely tuned action. Light weight with tremendous overall strength, though and strong solid carbon fiber construction, maximizes strength while maintaining sensitivity.
- High-Quality Guides - Guides with stainless steel frames and ceramic inserts. Stainless steel mixed with ceramic guide makes it more smooth, aviods line stucking in the guides, minimize friction for smooth, long casts, while also enhancing sensitivity by transferring vibrations from the line through the guide to the rod and to your hand.
- Portable Design - 4-piece design & Durable rod protect bag make it easy to carry. Great for carrying out and having a fishing trip. A multi-purpose hook holder, effective hook keeper.
- Extreme Exposure Reel Seat - Enhanced reel seat with corrosion resistant stainless steel hoods.
- Ultra-premium-grade cork grip - Non slip high density cork handle and foregrips; Handles and butts grips that provide comfort and a sure grip in all conditions. Durable cork grips offer light weight and all day comfort.
The Fiblink is the best cheap fishing rod out there. It comes with amazing sensitivity and resistance. The reel seat is protected with outside elements as it is corrosive resistant. So, expect this rod to be durable, light, and sensitive. Hence, a good option for beginners as well as experienced fishermen.
- Solid grip – High-density EVA.
- Slick aluminum chloride coating on the top.
- Soft cork handle.
- Lure weight is 1/4-5/8 oz, 3/8-1oz, 3/8-1/2 oz.
- Full carbon body.
It’s a spinning rod with amazing grip and power that’s also lightweight and durable. Besides, it has high-density EVA handles for a better grip. Moreover, it is also very easy to carry thanks to the material.
Since the frame is stainless steel, the sensitivity of the rod is quite commendable. Other than that, the highlight of the rod is its ability to cast fiction free line flow. This feature makes it easier to run the reel.
- Suitable for catching all kinds of fish.
- High sensitivity.
- 7+1 stainless steel guides.
- 4 piece design (assemble/disassemble easily).
- Corrosion-resistant steel hoods.
- Feels a bit heavy.
- A bit daunting to assemble.
The Fiblink is an ideal fishing rod for people who travel a lot as it comes in 4 pieces and has some amazing professional features too.
Okuma Longitude Surf Graphite Rod
$75.87 in stock
- SENSITIVE AND DURABLE GRAPHITE COMPOSITE BLANKS – The Longitude Surf Rods are built with durability and comfort in mind. Equipped with a sensitive graphite composite blank and enough back bone to cast heavy baits a long way yet feel the lightest of bites
- PREMIUM QUALITY COMPONENTS – Components built to withstand harsh conditions and the rigors of all day fishing. Aluminum oxide guide inserts are braid compatible and the double footed stainless steel guide frames keep your line running straight
- COMFORT AND FUNCTIONALITY – The butt section of the Longitude Surf Rods are wrapped in premium cork for a non-slip fore and rear grip feel for all day casting. The stainless hooded reel seat keeps your reel in place as you cast and wind down on big fish
- MULTIPLE LENGTHS AND ACTIONS – Longitude Surf Rods are available in five different lengths to cover your needs. Custom Non-Slip Cork Wrapped Handles
If casting longer distances is your jam then bring home Okuma Longitude Rod. It’s an all rounder that offers amazing durability, grip, and length.
- 12 feet in length.
- EVA grip handles.
- Graphite body.
- Ideal for beginners.
There’s a double foot guide made up of stainless steel which makes it easier to handle the rod. This way you can catch all kinds of fish, even small ones. But don’t worry if you want to go for a big catch, this is suitable for big fish as well.
The entire body of this rod is composed of graphite composite blank, it’s very light and offers good maneuverability.
This is one of the best fishing rod and reel units. The reel seat angling is smooth so you will have no difficulty in running the reel.
- 6+ tip guides.
- Extensive length.
- 2 piece fishing rod (easy to carry).
- 1-year warranty.
- Stiffer in the tip.
- Reel seat feels huge.
People looking for a large fishing rod in a friendly budget can turn to the Okuma Longitude fishing rod.
Berkley C-Series Crappie Pro Spinning
- 24 Ton Carbon Fiber-Carbon graphite fibers create a more light weight and sensitive rod blank
- EVA Power Grip-Ergonomically designed for more control and less fatigue
- Titanium Oxide Insert Guides-Durable, high strength-to-weight titanium oxide insert stainless steel guides
It is vital to opt for a fishing rod that is easy to handle when searching for a good crappie rod. Here’s where Berkley C series comes into play. This fishing rod offers water-like handling without putting any pressure on your hands.
It is made up of titanium oxide and stainless steel hence is very durable as well.
- 14 feet in length.
- Spinning rod.
- 24-ton carbon body.
- Bell-shaped rear handle for better grip.
People who are fond of catching large fish know the hassle of pulling a rod. Thankfully, you won’t have to twist, turn, and pull a lot with this rod because the carbon fiber tip offers a good grip and doesn’t stress out the user.
Fishing rods are prone to breakage. However, this one has titanium oxide and stainless steel inserted in it. These two components are not only light but extremely durable as well.
24 carbon fiber is responsible for making the rod highly responsive and sensitive. You’d feel both, heavy and light strikes on the rod and know something’s in the vicinity.
- Ideal for beginners and advanced fishermen.
- Comes in 2 pieces for portability.
- Comes with 11 guides.
- Great for casting.
- Not for surfcasting.
- Feels a bit heavy.
The Berkley C series fishing rod is for professional users. Beginners will have a tough time carrying and handling it due to the size, angling, and length.
TICA Surf Spinning Fishing Rod
- High modulus TC2 graphite construction
- High-grade titanium oxide ring guides; FUJI aluminum oxide ring tip top guide
- Superior non-slip cork tape handle
- Tica APS graphite reel seat
- Perfect match for SCEPTER (GX/TL/SBAT) reel series
The Tica surf spinning fishing rod offers smooth control and has good durability as well. It may be a bit expensive but that’s because of the presence of titanium oxide ring guides for extra durability.
- Lure weight – ½ – 2 oz.
- Strong graphite construction.
- FUJI aluminum oxide ring tip.
- Non-slippery cork tape handle.
Tica UEHA provides amazing casting and is meant to help catch fish for hours without making you feel tired. Plus, there is no fear of slippery hands thanks to a non-slippery cork tape handle.
The rod is extremely flexible and you won’t be feeling any stiffness while it’s underwater.
As far as the sensitivity is concerned, this rod is amazing at giving the vibes when something hits it.
- 30-40 pound braid works perfectly on the rod.
- Good handling.
- Available in 7-12 feet.
- Can’t handle big fish.
- Becomes a bit sluggish after use.
The Tica surf spinning fishing rod is a quality packed rod that let you fish for longer hours without causing fatigue.
Fenwick HMG Spinning
- Carbon Veil hoop fibers surround the high modulus graphite blank
- Fuji VSS reel seats secure your reel, and Alconite guides lighten the feel of the rod
- Fenwick HMG Spinning Rods also feature TAC handles to maximize grip in all weather conditions
Fenwick is considered to be a pioneer in the fishing accessory industry. It brought the graphite fishing rod to the market and still continues to come up with quality products.
The Fenwick HMG spinning rod is an excellent fishing rod due to many reasons. It is known for being extremely light when carried and used, and also has good sensitivity.
- Lure weight: ⅛ – 1
- HMG spin handle.
- Handle length: 14-¾.
- Line weight: 6-12 pounds.
Fenwick tops the chart when it comes to durability. Its handles are made up of TAC, which is more durable than cork handles. Apart from that, TAC continues to offer a firm grip even if the user has wet hands or if the handle itself is wet.
The spiraling of carbon thread is the reason this rod has such high sensitivity. It can detect even the lightest of fish attacks and alert you.
It comes in two lengths, 6’6 and 7.
- Ultra sensitive.
- Fuji reel seats provide a good balance.
- The hook holder may sometimes catch your line.
- A bit difficult to handle for beginners.
If you are looking for a fishing rod that will stay by your side for years then the Fenwick HMG spinning rod is your best bet.
Abu Garcia Veritas 2.0
- White in color
- Lightweight Balanced Design
- Texas rigged for all bait application
If you’re new to fishing then Abu Garcia Veritas can be your long-time companion as it offers great handling to first-timers. Durability is another important trait of a fishing rod and luckily, this one has a 30-ton graphite body which makes it very durable.
- 9’6 feet.
- Line weight 6-14 pounds.
- Pulling power medium to heavy.
- Lure weight 1/8-3/4 oz.
When you’re a beginner, you know the hassle of dealing with the reel. It can tire you and even cause panic. However, Abu Garcia has a micro-click reel hood mechanism that lets you spin the reel at a much faster pace and very easily too.
The tip of the road is highly sensitive and gives instant alerts to the user when something hits the rod. This is an important feature, especially for people who are only beginning to get into the game.
- Strong and sensitive.
- Good for drop shotting.
- Good backbone.
- The hook is of poor quality.
- Might not handle a large fish.
The Abu Garcia Veritas is a mid-heavy fishing rod that is suitable for both inexperienced and expert fishermen.
Redbone Inshore Spinning
- Fishing rod
- Made of the highest quality materials
- Another great Redbone product
Not many fishing rods are made up of IM7 graphite like the Redbone hurricane. This makes it super durable and a favorite for experts.
- 34” strip length.
- Lure weight 3/8 to ¾ oz
- 8-17 pounds line weight.
- IM7 graphite body.
- Line weight 10-20 pounds.
Fuji aluminum oxide guides make it smooth to use the rod. The reel seat is also made up of graphite, which adds durability. This is what makes this rod pull up heavy weights easily.
It’s a sensitive rod that will respond to attacks since it is designed for bait fishing.
The highlight of the rod is its capability to bend a little but not break. This is due to the hand-rolled graphite blanks on the rod which prevents it from snapping into two.
- Lifetime guarantee against defects.
- Elastic in nature.
- 7 feet in length.
- Can pull both medium and heavy fish.
- The tip is not much durable.
Experts will love the Redbone hurricane as its stylish, fun to use, and durable as well. Plus, the lifetime guarantee can be quite a charm.
Okuma Celilo Graphite Salmon/Steelhead Casting Rod
- Made using the highest quality materials
- Tested for reliability and quality
- Used by professionals worldwide
- Sensitive Graphite Blank Construction
- Aluminum Oxide Guide Inserts
The Okuma Celilo Graphite is a rugged graphite fishing rod with a high-quality baitcasting reel.
- Graphite construction
- Medium-heavy action
- 8 feet, 6 inches in length
- 15-30 pound line weight
- Weighs 7 ounces
The Okuma Celilo Graphite is a rod and reel that’s purpose-built for baitcasting in a saltwater environment. The rod measures 8 feet, 6 inches in length, and has a medium-heavy action that will only flex slightly under tension. This rigid design is great for use in deep water, where fish are more likely to be beneath you than they are to be off to the side.
The real attraction of the Celilo Graphite, though, is the reel. It features magnetic brakes to help you fight that big lunker, so the fish won’t be able to pull out twenty feet of line while your hand is worn out from working the crank.
This rod and reel are also exceptionally lightweight, only weighing 7 ounces. This makes it very easy to carry and cast. And the 15-30 pound line weight limit is impressive for a lightweight rod.
- Rated for saltwater
- Rugged, durable design
- Very lightweight
- Handle is not very durable
This is a marine-rated rod that’s perfect for saltwater fishing.
KastKing Blackhawk II Telescopic Fishing Rods
3 used from $43.00
- SOLOSCOPIC PERFORMANCE TECHNOLOGY – KastKing KastFlex Toray 24-Ton Carbon Matrix blank and solid glass tip section deliver unmatched durability, sensitivity and performance. One-piece performance in a six-piece telescopic rod design. Multiple floating line guides improve casting performance, deliver a consistent and smooth taper and eliminate flat or dead spots in the blank. Snug-Fit ferrules provide full length power transition and allow these rods to perform and feel like a 1pc rod.
- MULTIPURPOSE – The KastKing BlackHawk II travel fishing rod is available in 14 lengths and actions in travel spinning rod and casting rod models. You’ll find the perfect spinning fishing rod or baitcasting rod for almost any fresh or saltwater fishing situation whether your trout fishing, bass fishing, kayak fishing or even as a n inshore fishing rod for saltwater fishing from the bank or boat. KastKing travel rods feature amazing design and perfect balance.
- CONVENIENT- Besides the obvious advantage of easy travel over the traditional 1 & 2 pc fishing rods, they save valuable fishing time because you can leave the reel on the rod, line through the guides and fully rigged. Simply open the bail with line through the guides and hook attached, extend the rod to its working length and you'll be fishing again in seconds without re-rigging. Telescopic rods are portable, convenient, and easy-to-carry. Travel anywhere with your Blackhawk II travel rod.
- SUPERIOR QUALITY - Only high-quality components including stainless steel line guides, graphite reel seats and comfortable EVA handles are used in the construction of the new and improved, KastKing BlackHawk II telescopic rods. The entire series of spinning rods and casting fishing rods makes a great travel fishing pole or back-up telescopic fishing pole.
- QUICK ASSEMBLY - Extending the rod starts at the tip section! As shown in the video, extend each section while aligning the guides one section at a time. Simply extend the tip section until it stops, align the guides to the tip top guide and repeat with all sections. To collapse the telescopic fishing rod to its travel rod length, start at the bottom of the rod and collapse each section with a simple twist as you work your way to the tip of the fishing rod.
The KastKing Blackhawk II is lightweight and collapsible, perfect for hiking or camping trips.
- Carbon fiber construction
- Medium-heavy action
- 11 feet in length
- 8-15 pound line weight
- Weighs 12 ounces
- Telescoping design
The KastKing Blackhawk II is a carbon fiber fishing rod that’s designed to be as portable as possible. In the past, telescoping rods have often been criticized for being unreliable and easy to break. Thankfully, with advances in engineering, there are some well-built options. This rod is one of them.
Now, we obviously would prefer to use a standard rod for most trips. But when you’re camping or hiking, space is at a premium. You can’t exactly hike a 20-mile trail with a fully extended Ugly Stick on your back. So what’s the solution? A collapsible rod you can slip right into your backpack.
All of that being said, this rod does have a relatively low line weight limit, maxing out at 15 pounds. On the other hand, it’s marine rated, so you can also use it in saltwater if you prefer.
- Compact and easy to transport
- Rated for saltwater use
- Rugged construction
- Relatively low line weight limit
If you’re looking for a collapsible fishing rod that’s also durable, this is a good choice.
TALORA 7'0" MED LT/MED FAST
- coupon, prop65, trolling-rods
The Shimano Talora is a tough graphite fishing rod that comes with a Talora trolling reel.
- Graphite construction
- Medium-light action
- 8 feet in length
- 10-20 pound line weight
- Weighs 1.5 pounds
The Shimano Talora is engineered specifically for trolling. It has a medium-light action, which allows it to flex freely as the current – and your boat’s wake – move it from side to side. When a fish bites, it’s going to bend rather than break, and the sight of a bent rod will give you an immediate heads-up that you’ve got one on the line.
Be aware, these rods aren’t marine rated. They’re strictly designed for use on a lake. That said, you’ll be able to snag even the heaviest freshwater lunkers, with a 20-pound line and a rugged, graphite rod that won’t fail in the middle of a fight.
Overall, this rod and reel is a great value. We especially appreciate the fact that Shimano includes a tough aluminum oxide line, so there’s minimal setup involved. Just attach your bait and tackle, and you’re ready to go.
- Very rugged design
- Built-in aluminum oxide line
- Ideal choice for trolling
- Not marine rated
This is a well-engineered fishing rod that’s designed specifically designed for use for trolling.
PENN Carnage II Boat Casting
- Sls3 blank construction
- Fuji K guides with alconite insert
- Non slip fore grip
- Pack Bay aluminum reel seat, aluminum gimbal
- Rod Length 7 inches, Rubber handled
The Penn Bluewater Carnage II is a beefy saltwater reel that can bring in even the biggest fish.
- Graphite construction
- Light action
- 6 feet, 6 inches in length
- 30-80 pound line weight
- Weighs 11 ounces
The Penn Bluewater Carnage II comes courtesy of Penn rods. This company has a reputation for being one of the best on the market for saltwater fishing. The Carnage II is an upgrade to their original Carnage, with upgraded hardware that’s constructed from aluminum and ceramic for improved salt resistance.
These rods feature a rubberized grip that’s virtually impossible to lose hold of. The frame itself is carbon fiber and can support the graphite rod with ease. Both of them will support up to 80 pounds of weight, so you can haul in large saltwater fish. Anything short of a shark, marlin, or tuna fish is fair game.
The Carnage II has heavy-duty seating for the reel, which is able to take a lot of abuse while you’re cranking. As long as you’re willing to pay the price, it’s a great value.
- Rated for saltwater use
- Non-slip grip
- Heavy-duty reel seats
- One-piece construction
For serious marine fishing, this rod and reel is an excellent choice.
Daiwa Beefstick Surf Rod
- Package quantity: 1
- Package weight: 0.771 kg
- No batteries required
- Product Type: FISHING EQUIPMENT
The Daiwa Beefstick Surf is designed for a long cast and an easy retrieve.
- Carbon fiber and graphite construction
- Medium action
- 8 feet in length
- 12-30 pound line weight
- Weighs 1.5 pounds
The Daiwa Beefstick Surf is a long-casting rod with a medium action. This is flexible enough to provide an effective slingshot-style cast, while still remaining rigid enough that you’ll feel every nibble. The carbon fiber construction itself is very strong, with a high glass content that offers extra support when the rod is under stress.
As its name implies, this rod is designed for fishing in the surf. If you like to fish in saltwater, whether from the beach or from a jetty, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a longer-casting rod or one that stands up to the salt spray as effectively.
- Rated for saltwater
- Powerful, rugged rod
- Built specifically for long casts
- Relatively heavy
There aren’t many fishing rods on the market that are as effective as this for long-distance casting.
Key Information About Choosing a Fishing Rod
It’s wise to first get some things straight before stepping into the market to purchase a fishing rod. There are several factors that need to be considered as they will help you pick the best all around fishing rod on the market. Other than that, one must know the basics of how to use the rod.
Here’s what you need to know:
The weight of a rod matters a lot because it is associated with handling and everything that’s tied to the other end. If you are skinny then casting a fishing rod that’s quite heavy can be a bit of a problem. It’s simple physics, the more mass you have, the more force you can apply; the more force you can apply, the better will be the casting.
Therefore, the first thing to look into a rod is its weight. Although most fishing rods weight just a few pounds, still, it’s better to choose one that’s good for you.
Here’s where luring weight also counts because it tells you how much of casting weight the rod can withstand.
So, if you are wanting to cast longer distances with a fishing rod, you must keep lure weight and the weight of the rod in mind.
You can get a rod as short as two feet and as long as fourteen feet. The length of the rod decides what kind of distance you can cast.
If you’re a kayak angler or if you love to bait big fish then short length cords are good for you because they offer good close combat situations. You won’t have to bend a lot and pull a lot with a short rod.
On the other hand, longer rods are for experts who prefer fishing in saltwater. They require longer rods to serve as a walking bait. Longer rods travel quicker, however, they require good handling and strength as well.
Types Of Fishing Line
The fishing line serves as a connection between the fish and you, which is why one needs to consider it.
Here are various kinds of fishing lines:
- Monofilament Line: It is one of the most common and popular kinds of fishing lines used. It’s affordable and offers many benefits such as easy tying of knots, great shock-absorbing capabilities, and an amazing capacity to stretch. Plus, it can vanish underwater, if you choose the right shade. This is why it is also a good option for saltwater fishing.
- Braid Line: This is one of the most widely used fishing lines. It’s more durable than monofilaments and offers additional benefits. It’s suitable when casting longer distances.
Another benefit of braid over mono is its ability to troll much deeper than mono. They don’t fall prey to loops and twists as there’s no memory on them, unlike monofilament.
They, however, may be a bit expensive than mono but in the long-run, they help you save money as they are more durable and can handle sunlight well.
On the downside, they can be very slippery so make sure to tie knots as hard as you can for better results.
- Wire Line: This is suitable for when you want to bait a toothy fish such as tuna and mackerel. It can sink in deep easily, however, it requires stronger reels.
- Fly Fishing Line: These are for experts to catch big fish. Mostly, they are used with fly fish rods. In this technique, patience, stealth, and tremendous skills are needed to lure in the victim. Here, one needs to mimic the fly bait as if it’s food for the fish. It is ideal for freshwater lakes and mountain streams.
- Fluorocarbon Fishing Line: Fluorocarbon becomes completely invisible when in water. It is ideal for both, beginners and experts as it lets them catch fish quickly and easily. Other than that, it is also abrasion-resistant, which makes it highly durable.
Changing Reels Between the Rods
It is important to know how to change the reels between the rods. You never know when you might have to do it on your own. So, learn the basics. It’s quite easy to do.
Here are the steps:
- Lift the wire arm by opening the bail on the road.
- Remove the line.
- Take the new line and begin to wrap it slowly through the line guides.
- Tie a knot on the reel spool.
- Now, lower the arm and close the bail.
- Crank the bail a little. This will let you know the correct direction – the direction in which the bail rotates. It’s important that the line is in the same direction.
- Once the direction is set, hold the line with your index and thumb.
- Turn the handle at least twenty times so that the reel is loaded.
- Let go of the line until it hits the ground.
- Keep loading the line until the spool gets full.
- Now secure the line with the tab on the side of the rod.
Freshwater Vs Saltwater Fishing Rods
There are many differences between the two.
- Freshwater fishing rods are mostly made up of basic materials while saltwater rods are made up of materials that are corrosion resistant.
- Freshwater rods have components that aren’t sealed and are easy to disassemble. The components of saltwater rods are usually sealed because water can reach into the inner parts and cause corrosion.
- Saltwater rods are designed to withstand more weight which is why they can bear heavier lines.
- Saltwater fishing rods are usually more expensive than freshwater rods.
Care And Maintenance
- Replace guide rings if they appear rusted.
- Rods can break easily. Always keep them safe in a case.
- It is important to clean the rod after fishing. Use a mixture of vinegar and warm water to clean it.
- Apply candle wax on the ferrules (joints) of the rod to prevent friction.
- If the rod has a cork handle then make sure you wear gloves to avoid injury and slippery hands.
It is important to know which kind of fishing rod will serve you best. For this, you must choose separate rods for fishing in separate waters (salt and fresh). This is important because a freshwater rod will corrode in saltwater.
The length of the rod plays an important role in handling. If you’re a beginner then make sure to choose a rod that has less weight and is easy to handle and maneuver. You can gradually move to bigger rods.
Almost every fishing rod in this article has amazing features, however, make sure that you keep the budget in mind before buying one.
Best All Around Fishing Rods
Choosing a fishing rod can become confusing really fast so we've tried to make the decision easier! Read through our detailed reviews before making your purchase.
- Sougayilang Fishing Rod
- UglyStik GX2 Spinning Rod
- St Croix Triumph Spinning Rods
- Fiblink Travel Casting Rod
- Okuma Longitude Surf Graphite Rod
- Berkley C-Series Crappie Pro Spinning
- TICA Surf Spinning Fishing Rod
- Fenwick HMG Spinning
- Abu Garcia Veritas 2.0
- Redbone Inshore Spinning
- Okuma Celilo Graphite Salmon/Steelhead Casting Rod
- KastKing Blackhawk II Telescopic Fishing Rods
- TALORA 7'0" MED LT/MED FAST
- PENN Carnage II Boat Casting
- Daiwa Beefstick Surf Rod