High-spirited, energetic, and happy are just a few of the words that sum up the Boxer’s character, and are why the breed has such devoted pet parents.
Originally bred as a working dog in Germany, the muscular bundle of mischief that is a Boxer have bounded their way into people’s affections since they came to the US shortly after World War I.
Best Foods For Boxers
Thus, the caring owner should be knowledgeable about the best food for boxers so as to keep their dog in tip-top condition.
However, with this breed perhaps more than any other it is important to offer top-rated dog food for boxers because as a breed they are notorious for having sensitive stomachs, plus they can run to fat if they don’t get enough exercise.
Get your four-legger off on the right paw with the best dog food for a boxer puppy.
This Royal Canine food is adjusted to meet the specific needs of a growing boxer dog. It helps meet the nutritional needs of a dog that multiplies his birthweight 70 times by the time he is an adult.
The formula is designed to nurture the digestive tract, which is especially important in boxers with their tendency towards inflammatory bowel disease.
Marketed as the best food for boxers with sensitive stomachs as it is rich in antioxidants so as to support and strengthen the developing immune system.
The downside of this best boxer food for sensitive stomach is the main protein content is derived from chicken by-products, which means that your puppy could be eating a variable feast ranging from organs to undeveloped eggs.
It also relies heavily on grains for carbohydrate energy, which can be undesirable if your dog has gluten sensitivity.
However, there is much to like about this food.
For example, the shape of the kibble biscuit makes it easier for the boxer pup, with his squished face, to grasp and chew.
It is also rich in L-carnitine, which nourishes muscle and promotes a healthy heart. So to get your pup off to a good start considering this Royal Canin puppy option.
Royal Canin Sensitive
- Royal Canin Large Sensitive Skin Care dry dog food is tailored nutrition for large adult dogs 15 months and older with sensitive skin and dry coats
- Reinforces the skin barrier with essential nutrients to support skin health in dogs with skin sensitivities
- Nourishes coat health with an exclusive complex of nutrients and amino acids
- Selected aromas help satisfy the appetite of large breed dogs
- Supports healthy digestion and optimal stool quality with highly digestible proteins
Unfortunately, the boxer breed is prone to a sensitive gut and food allergies. Royal Canin is great for boxers with allergies because it contains hydrolyzed protein.
For dogs with food allergies, the hydrolyzed protein molecule is too small to bridge the triggering receptor in the gut wall and is thus much less likely to cause symptoms.
For this reason, Royal Canin HP is also the best dog food for boxers with gas as the latter can be a symptom of food intolerance, along with sickness, or diarrhea.
But the good news doesn’t end there because this is the best dog food for boxers with skin problems of food allergy origin.
Again, this food is not cheap, but if you are struggling with a boxer dog that has repeated tummy upsets then Royal Canin HP is worth trying for 8 – 12 weeks, to see if dietary allergy could be part of the problem.
However, if you do undertake a dietary trial be aware that you must cut out all titbits and feed on the HP, or allergens in the treats may covertly feed the intolerance.
Taste of the Wild
- A taste of the wild with ROASTED BISON; REAL MEAT is the #1 ingredient; optimal amino acid profile, protein rich for LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- High protein ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; fruits and vegetables as SUPERFOODS for hard-working ANTIOXIDANTS; fatty acid blend for SKIN & COAT
- Ingredients from TRUSTED, SUSTAINABLE sources around the world; made with NO GRAIN, corn, wheat, filler; no artificial flavors, colors, preservatives
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY DIGESTIBLE with guaranteed species-specific, PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS that survive and thrive in the GI tract
For the discerning owner determined to feed only the best dog food for boxers then the premium food that is Taste of the Wild is a good choice.
The philosophy behind Taste of the Wild is to offer foods based on whole roasted meats (no meat meal or meat by-products here) formulated with fresh fruit and vegetables to provide carbohydrate (a grain-free food) and fortified with natural antioxidants for a healthy immune system.
Bison and venison meat ensure they will eat with enthusiasm and benefits their health to boot.
The reviews make enlightening reading with owner after owner recounting stories of how this food has improved their dog’s health, and in some cases meant they no longer needed medication for skin or bowel conditions.
Whilst Taste of the Wild isn’t cheap food, many consider it a small price to pay considering the benefits.
- For adult dogs over 1 year of age
- Contains no meat by-products
- All natural ingredients
- No grain, corn, soy or wheat gluten
- Fish and flax omega blend for healthy skin and coat
In an ideal world your dog would run off any excess calories, but life being busy it’s not always realistic to walk your dog for hours. One way to ensure your boxer doesn’t pile on the pounds is to feed a low-fat food with a reduced-calorie content.
Wellness Core is not a diet food as such, but when fed to the recommended amount the low-fat formulation is less calorific and therefore less likely to cause weight gain.
It is recommended as the best boxer dog food for the fur-friend who doesn’t get quite as much exercise as he would like.
The food itself has the nutritional content that is second to none.
With chicken as the main ingredient, this grain-free formula includes delicious-sounding ingredients such as apples, parsley, blueberries, carrots, and kale, and has added probiotics to feed a healthy gut.
Made in the USA and free from artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives Wellness Core has thousands of glowing reviews and never a bad word to say about it.
- Eukanuba adult large breed dry dog food is complete and balanced nutrition for large breed dogs 15 months or older, weighing over 55 pounds
- Promotes lean muscle development and joint health in active adult dogs with a combination of animal protein, chondroitin sulfate, and 50% more glucosamine vs. Eukanuba Adult Medium Breed
- Helps keep dogs sharp and supports healthy brain function with DHA and vitamin E
- Fuels an active lifestyle with optimal levels of fats and carbohydrates
- High-quality chicken is the first ingredient for protein that powers their day
It might be you chose a boxer dog because you wanted an athletic energetic dog as a family guard dog or to accompany you whilst jogging.
If this is the case and your dog is very active and burns lots of calories, he will struggle to maintain his weight when fed regular biscuits and you need to offer a food designed for working animals.
It offers balanced nutrition without fillers that are high protein and fat to promote energy for exercise and lean muscle growth.
It has added calcium for strong bones, added chondroitin and glucosamine for those vital healthy joints, and Eukanuba’s 3D Dentadefense system to reduce tartar formation and keep teeth healthy.
This is a specialized diet that won’t suit every boxer dog as it does promote weight gain.
However, for the right dog, this is a tasty food that ticks all the right boxes.
Royal Canin Boxer
- Royal Canin Boxer Adult dry dog food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred Boxers 15 months and older
- Exclusive tailor-made kibble design helps Boxers easily pick up and chew their food
- Maintains a Boxer’s powerful muscles and low body fat with precise protein content and L-carnitine
- Promotes cardiac health with specific nutrients including taurine, EPA, and DHA
- Breed-specific formula features antioxidant complex for cellular health and optimal nutrient absorption
This food scores top marks for having named meat, chicken, heading the ingredients list; and is rich in natural sources of chondroitin and glucosamine to nourish the joints and keep them healthy.
It’s also rich in L-carnitine and taurine, both of which are important for a healthy heart (an additional weakness of the boxer breed).
The fore-shortened jaw and face of the boxer can mean the teeth are crowded together with lots of nooks and crannies for food to build up and encourage plaque and tartar formation.
This diet goes part way to keeping food debris at bay to reduce the risk of dental problems.
And finally, owning a joyful, exuberant boxer is a wonderful thing, but it’s important to feed the best dog foods for boxer needs.
This can mean feeding a low or high-calorie food, depending on his activity level, whilst a hypoallergenic diet may suit the boxer with a sensitive stomach.
Whatever food you choose, be careful not to overfeed since boxers have a notoriously voracious appetite, and carrying too much weight will do your dog no favors.
Find a food your boxer thrives on and your dog will keep you company for many happy years to come.
Best Dog Food for Boxers
The 6 best dog foods available for Boxers rated & reviewed!
- Royal Canin Puppy
- Royal Canin Sensitive
- Taste of the Wild
- Wellness CORE
- Royal Canin Boxer