Seeing your little one in pain, discomfort and upset from too much wind is really tough. It can break your heart so in the following post I explore the best ways to minimize any gas and reflux issues while feeding as well a recommend the best formulas for this.
There are actually many different formulas for gassy babies on the market that can reduce and ease the discomfort.
It is also important to note than gas is not normal and a baby should be able to feed and digest without being in pain or uncomfortable. Telltale signs of abnormal gas includes crying, a hard tummy, irritation, burping and farting a lot.
What Causes a Gassy Baby?
The ingredients in many formulas can lead to side effects in a little ones sensitive stomach. Side effects include being overly gassy and also diarrhoea. This is because nearly every formula is made from cows milk and there are many babies that cannot tolerate this.
If you switch from one cows milk formula to another you won’t fix the problem and every time the little one drinks it the same result will occur. Ideally you’ll need a soy based formula or alternative animal milk such as goat. Lactose is generally the culprit so avoiding this is key.
In some instances the type of bottle you use can cause the gas. When suckling they can often intake a lot of air bubbles which can cause discomfort and gas. Switching your bottle could be a simple solution if you haven’t already tried that.
Best Formulas for Gassy Babies Available
Enfamil ProSobee Soy-Based Infant Formula
- Contains 4 20.9 ounce containers of baby formula soy milk powder (Total = 83.6 ounces)
- Gentle, complete nutrition tailored for your baby through their first 12 months
- Enfamil is the #1 Infant Formula brand recommended by pediatricians*
- Enfamil ProSobee has the same brain-nourishing DHA levels** as Enfamil routine formula to foster cognitive brain development
- SNAP ELIGIBLE - Eligible to be purchased with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits
Enfamil Prosobee is a soy based alternative that is completely free of cows milk and lactose. As mentioned the majority of formulas are based on cows milk which can be what causes the gas.
This formula can be used up to 12 months of age and will meet the nutritional profile your infant needs.
Enfamil Prosobee has crucial nutrients required to develop cognitive function including DHA and choline. The blend of vitamins is designed to promote a healthy immune system.
This formula comes at a premium price but if your baby is suffering after trying many alternatives then give this one a try. It could be the one that works!
Enfamil Nutramigen Infant Formula
- Fast relief NOW - Manage colic due to cow’s milk allergy as early as the first feeding, with 90% of infants improving within 48 hours
- Fewer allergies LATER - Specially formulated to reduce the incidence of future allergy challenges by 50%
- Helps support baby's immune system to return to consuming traditional milk protein formula without an allergic response
- Includes the probiotic branded LGG—the most extensively studied probiotic for allergy management & supporting the digestive health of your baby
- Complete lactose-free and sucrose-free nutrition for the first 12 months. From Enfamil, the No.1 Infant Formula brand recommended by pediatricians
Enfamil Nutramigen is a hypoallergenic formula that is lactose and sucrose free.
Studies have shown that this formula can combat colic fast with 90% of infants improving within 48hours.
In addition it has been clinically shown to reduce any future allergy challenges as well. How? Well this formula helps your baby’s immune system develop to tolerate milk proteins, meaning you can switch back to other formulas sooner.
Along with being hypoallergenic this formula also has a probiotic to improve digestion and reduce any gas in the intestines.
Enfamil Nutramigen is suited to newborns aged 0-3 months.
3. Similac Sensitive Infant Formula with Iron, For Fussiness and Gas, One Month’s Supply, Baby Formula
Similac Sensitive Infant Formula with Iron
- Similac is the first leading infant formula brand with no artificial growth hormone* (*no significant difference has been shown between milk derived from rbST-treated and non-rbST-treated cows)
- Similac Sensitive Infant Formula is a milk-based formula for your baby's first year that is specially designed for fussiness and gas due to lactose sensitivity
- NUTRIENTS: Features OptiGRO, our exclusive blend of DHA, Lutein and Vitamin E, special nutrients found in breast milk that are important for helping support baby's brain and eye development
- TRUSTED FORMULA: Similac is the #1 brand chosen by moms§ (§Total US infant formula, all outlets as of 3/31/2018, Nielsen data)
Similac Sensitive is similar to the Enfamil Gentlease but a bit more affordable.
This is a milk based formula but it is designed using a unique carbohydrate which can help to reduce gas in infants.
A complete formula this uses OptiGRO which is a blend of DHA, lutein and vitamin E all of which are important nutrients in breast milk. This formula offers a complete nutrient profile.
It must be noted that Similac Sensitive is not suitable for babies with galactosemia.
Enfamil PREMIUM Non-GMO Gentlease Infant Formula
- The first and only Infant Formula to have both the amount of brain-nourishing inositol and DHA* found in Breast Milk
- Unique Triple Health Guard blend that has 30 nutrients for growth, twice the Omega-3 DHA as the other leading brand, and vitamins & minerals to support immune health
- Enfamil PREMIUM Gentlease Infant Formula brand is also recommended by pediatricians 2x more than the competition
- Closer to breast milk than ever before
- Made with non-GMO ingredients** that have not been genetically engineered.
Enfamil Gentlease is a milk based formula but has significantly lower levels of lactose than other formulas.
Gentlease uses 30 nutrients for growth including significantly high amounts of omega 3 DHA.
This formula uses an easy to digest protein blend which is already partially broken down making it very easy on sensitive stomaches.
Enfamil Premium Gentlease Infant Formula is made with an easy-to-digest protein blend that’s been partially broken down & is gentle on your baby’s tummy.
Gerber Good Start Gentle (HMO) Non-GMO Powder Infant Formula
- Brand New in box. The product ships with all relevant accessories
Gerber Good Start is a non GMO formula that can be used from newborns to 12months.
The difference with Gerber is that they manufacture their formula using easy to break down proteins (comfort proteins) from 100% whey protein.
As well as offering a complete nutrient profile they also had prebiotics and probiotics which are important compounds found in breastmilk.
Specifically, Gerber Good Start uses probiotic B. lactis which is supportive to digestive health and immunity.
6. Earth’s Best Organic Low Lactose Sensitivity Infant Formula with Iron, Omega-3 DHA & Omega-6 ARA, 23.2 Ounce
Earth's Best Organic Low Lactose Sensitivity Infant Formula with Iron
- Easy-to-digest organic formula for baby's first twelve months for babies with sensitive stomachs
- Reduced lactose milk-based powder formulation for easy digestion; our closest formula to breast milk
- Omega-3 DHA and Omega-6 ARA fatty acids naturally found in breast milk to support brain and eye development, Iron for healthy development
- Easy to Digest and Nutritionally Complete With Lutein for Eyes and Prebiotic Fructooligosaccharides for Immunity
- Kosher; no artificial flavors, colors; Made without prohibited synthetic pesticides and fertilizers
Earths Best Organic Low Lactose Formula that can be used from newborn to 12 months.
This formula has 95% less lactose when compared with standard baby formulas meaning if your little one has a sensitive stomach then try this.
The formula is also fortified with iron, DHA and ARA which are all essential nutrients found in breast milk. In addition there is also lutein as well as prebiotics.
Free of any corn syrup Earths Best Organic Low Lactose Formula is non GMO, organic has no artificial flavors or colors and is made without synthetic pesticides and fertilizers.
As a growing baby their stomachs can be very sensitive. They may go in and out of phases of sensitivity and others may suffer from allergies, gas and reflux. A simple solution can be changing the type of formula you use. Through trial and error you can find what works best for your little one.
Best Formulas for Gassy Babies
Changing your infants formula might be all it takes to reduce the gas and suffering. There are many different types on the market so I suggest trial and error until you find what works best for your cherub.
- Enfamil ProSobee Soy-Based Infant Formula
- Enfamil Nutramigen Infant Formula
- Similac Sensitive Infant Formula with Iron
- Enfamil PREMIUM Non-GMO Gentlease Infant Formula
- Gerber Good Start Gentle (HMO) Non-GMO Powder Infant Formula
- Earth's Best Organic Low Lactose Sensitivity Infant Formula with Iron