For Generation X to baby boomers and beyond, it may seem bizarre to not teach cursive in schools. Groups older than millennials remember the days of sitting in class with their best pencils, learning to trace fancy letters. And as these groups grew older, out came their best fountain pens to write actual letters that went into mailboxes with postage stamps. In a technology age, this may seem completely outdated. But millennials are bringing back the love of the top fountain pens. How?
First, cursive handwriting has made a comeback in schools in recent years.
Second, according to Hallmark data, millennials now account for 20 percent of holiday greeting card sales with actual handwritten messages and personalized photos. And the cards are going into regular mailboxes instead of instant social media posts.
Third, maybe younger groups have heard the cool news that first-graders who learned to write in cursive earned higher scores in reading and spelling.
While you explore the best budget fountain pens under $200 below, enjoy fun facts about handwriting, too.
Best Fountain Pens Under $200
Parker Sonnet Black Lacquer Fountain Pen
- Black lacquer barrel
- 18K gold trim
- Capped; gold clip with signature arrowhead design
- Fine nib
- Fountain pen with black ink
Enclosed in a Parker gift box, this black ink fountain pen comes with a fine nib, just waiting for your signature, greeting card messages or journal notes.
- Black lacquer barrel
- 18K gold trim
- Black ink included
This 17-piece, capped pen has a gold clip with a signature arrowhead design. All pens, plus nibs, are checked by hand for quality. These stainless steel tip pens are also available in black lacquer and palladium; chiseled silver and black with gold trim; metal and pearl lacquer; prestige brown rubber and rose gold; prestige chiseled purple and rose gold; prestige chiseled silver and gold; prestige chiseled silver and rose gold; and prestige pearl lacquer and rose gold.
- One reviewer reported ink doesn’t come out fluidly
Along with your pen, you’ll get a welcome card with information on the product line and warranty, and two loose standard black cartridges. Inks or refills are underneath the pen frame in the box as well.
4 PCS in Set Gullor 450 Fountain Pen
- Package included: 4 Pens, 4 Original Gullor pen pouch, 1 Gullor PU leather pen pouch
- Removable Converter & Refillable, Come with Converter for each pen (Work with bottled ink)
- Works with International Ink Cartridges. Ink cartridges are not included for safety. You may refer to the matching cartridges with ASIN B011QW2R7Y
- Nib point: Medium. Cap: Push type. Material: Metal. Classic Smooth Writing Pen.
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - before you leave us any feedback, please message us to make things right to you - we care and we will make sure we do everything we can to make you happy with our products.
In author Anne Trubek’s book “The History and Uncertain Future of Handwriting,” she challenges whether cursive is any more necessary to learn in school as learning to play a musical instrument. But reportedly children who take 14 months of musical training have more powerful structural and functional brain changes. The brain games associated with memory, spelling and reading comprehension seems like a win all around, so make sure you have the right supplies to do so.
- Four pens
- Four original Gullor pen pouches
- One Gullor polyurethane leather pen pouch
While these pens are already filled with ink and can be refilled afterward, they also work for bottled ink and international ink cartridges. These capped, metal pens have a medium nib point.
- Ink cartridges not included
- Bottled ink not included
- One reviewer found ink leaking in the cap
As with any fountain pen, be aware of the nib point size. Fine nib pens may be a little stingier with ink than medium nib pens. For newer hand writers, a medium pen may be ideal to avoid potentially tracing more than once.
Fountain Pen Set
- CONFIDENCE IN YOUR HAND - Let the pen do the work for you! Effortless writing will bring out the journalist in you! Experience smooth writing with no smudges. Show off your finest and most beautiful handwriting!
- THE PERFECT GIFT - This handcrafted fountain pen makes a perfect and sophisticated gift! It's elegant case makes it both attractive and ideal for travelling. “Congratulations on your Graduation/ Promotion/Retirement”, “Happy Birthday” or even a simple “Thank You” - This pen says it all in style!
- CLASSIC STYLE - The perfect combination of modern luxury and traditional beauty. The luxury details, the light materials and the unique design have earned this pen the respect of many and are glad to have finally found a pen to match their undeniably distinguished taste!
- INK CONVERTER INCLUDED - With every pen we supply a converter to enable you to seamlessly switch between cartridges and bottled ink. NOTE: Ink cartridges are NOT included, so please do not forget to head on over to our Amazon store and grab a pack or three of our top quality, fantastic value Monaggio cartridges!
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: We are a US-based, family-owned business that promises superior customer service including excellent communication and easy returns.
Dianne Peterson, the owner of Forensic Document Investigations, asked a thoughtful question: “What if every sign you looked at looked exactly the same, and there was no difference in font? It would be a pretty boring world.” For valuable equipment, identity theft, last wills and testaments, medical records and beyond, having a unique signature makes all the difference. And sometimes that “signature” could be the pen you write with too.
- Luxury bamboo wood
- Twist converter
- Fine point nib
This bamboo wound fountain pen comes in an eco-friendly, handcrafted, engraved box so it will never get lost. Whether you’re writing a letter in fine print or using it to write calligraphy, this pen should be able to be used anytime you need it. When it’s empty, just use the twist converter to refill with more ink.
- No refillable ink cartridge included
If red is your favorite color, there is an additional pen-and-case version available in this color scheme too. Blue and black ink cartridges are sold separately.
Edesa Fountain Pen Set
- ❤️ A BEAUTIFUL PEN FOR EVERYONE: This classy fountain pen is essential for men, women and children of all ages, as it will give you the sophistication you need in your everyday life at the office or at school. The luxurious pen will make you stand out and give you impressive results no matter what you do, from practicing calligraphy to journaling and signing your name.
- ❤️ UNIQUE ELEGANCE: No pen can give you more vintage luxury and status like a fountain pen does. This calligraphy pen has a classic design that is of everlasting elegance. The fancy pen will not only make you more efficient at your job, but it will also elevate the style of your office, simply by placing it on your desk
- ❤️ PREMIUM QUALITY: The fancy calligraphy pen is crafted to perfection with special attention to every little detail to give you amazing results. The fountain pain has a beautiful ink flow that will not create a mess for clear and easy to read writing. It also has a fine point tip that will allow you to create stunning calligraphy and sign every document with unique precision and ease.
- ❤️ WITH INK REFILL CONVERTER: Forget about the hassle of changing the ink cartridge of your fountain pen. This calligraphy pen comes with an ink refill converter that will allow you to draw ink directly from any cartridge and make refilling extremely easy and mess-free.
- ❤️ AMAZING GIFT IDEA: This stunning fountain pen comes in a luxurious gift box that will make the most unique present for your loved ones for every special occasion. Get this calligraphy set for your kid’s graduation or first day of college, to congratulate your friend on their new business and more!
Did you know January 23 is National Handwriting Day? Maybe you missed John Hancock’s birthday this year, so gear up for next year by getting your favorite fountain pen and a few history tidbits. This celebration was established by the Writing Instrument Manufacturers Association in 1977. Their goal is to promote and encourage people to purchase pens, pencils and writing paper.
- Fine point nib
- Ink refill converter (included)
- Pen gift box
Whether your preference is rose gold or black, this calligraphy pen adds extra pizzazz to your writing. Use the ink refill converter to add more ink when needed.
Save yourself the money and time buying extra pens. If taken care of, this pen could become a family memento. With its ergonomic design, it should also be easy to hold and write with for long periods of time.
- No Edesa-only converters available to purchase
- Pen cap does not lock into place on top of pen
- No ink included in the pen
There’s a little back-and-forth with reviewers regarding this pen being too heavy to write with. While some prefer the more solid, fuller weight of a fountain pen, others may find this weight (1.44 ounces) to be too heavy. If weight is an issue with your writing, test out a few in-person before purchasing one online.
HENZIN Fountain Pen
- ❤[HANDMADE PEN] HENZIN 100% natural wood pens handmade of walnut, enables you an antique fountain pen with comfortable grip.
- ❤[MEDIUM NIB] The hand turned fountain pen has a nice medium nib which is best for calligraphy business executive and signature writing, writes smoothly.
- ❤[REFILLABLE FOUNTAIN PEN] Easy for you to refill ink from ink cartridges(not included for safety) with ink refill converter includes inside the pen's barrel in seconds.
- ❤[VINTAGE GIFT] This cool fancy wooden pen comes with a luxury wood gift box, ends at an elegant vintage gift pen set for men and women, beginners, writers, students, colleagues and business.
- ❤[WARRANTY] 30 days hassle-free warranty and 24h customer service.
If you’ve ever struggled to read someone’s handwriting, you are not alone. It’s not always the pen nor is it the handwriting. Some people just write in a unique way. That includes historical documents. Paleographers (professionals who study ancient or antiquated writings and inscriptions) spend years trying to examine certain scripts. So the next time someone criticizes your writing, remind them of how pretty medieval book scripts look and that writing requires paid professionals to get through it.
- 100 percent natural walnut wood
- Medium nib
- Ink refill converter (included)
Inside of a luxury wood gift box, this elegant pen set has a 30-day, hassle-free warranty. Ideally, this pen should result in smooth writing and no leakage. If you’re interested in calligraphy, this may be the best fountain pen to try first.
- No ink included in the pen
If you have issues with this pen, there ais 24-hour customer service to try to troubleshoot before (potential) returns.
4 PCS Wingsung Fountain Pen
|MPN||4 PCS Wing Sung 3007 FP Fine US|
|Package Dimensions||Height: 100; Length: 600; Weight: 25; Width: 200|
|Part Number||4 PCS Wing Sung 3007 FP Fine US|
|Product Group||Office Product|
|Product Type Name||WRITING_INSTRUMENT|
|Title||4 PCS Wingsung Fountain Pen Metallic Color,Fine Nib Mini Pocket Light Weight Pen (Pink, Blue,Champagne and Gray)|
When New York state Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis encountered an 18-year-old during voter registration writing his signature in block letters, that was the turning point in which she realized how important handwriting is for future generations. Handwriting can be useful and a fun experience, with these four cool colors.
- Stainless steel
- Fine nib
- Metallic colors: pink, champagne, blue, gray
These disposable fountain pens are made of plastic with metallic colors on the outside. Should you choose to purchase ink that matches the pens, you may have a bit of a challenge on your hands for this make.
However, the ergonomic design has a comfortable grip for long letter-writing. A refillable converter for ink bottles is included.
- Ink not included
- Compatible ink cartridges do not match metallic pen covers: ink only available in blue or black
Make the most of these colorful pens and only use on special occasions. While election coordinators will probably have their own pens for you to sign forms, these pens are sleeker.
Moonman Wancai Mini Transparent Pocket-Size Eyedropper Fountain Pen
- Story->This pen be designed by a fountain pen fan on 2016, but because of various reasons, until today just be produced. It's a great pen, when you colse the cap, looked like a lipstick, but when you put the cap screw in the end of pen body, it become an normal size fountain pen, easy to carry in the journey. And this pen can use the ink cartridges also can use the eye dropper filling.
- Materials->Pen body made of high quality acrylic, showed colorful pattern and matte effects, very beauful and durable. And export quality gold plated iridium fountain pen nib, bring you a perfect writing experience, very smooth.
- Content->Eyedropper fountain pen with a large ink capacity, and you also can use the ink cartridges for this pen, easy to use in the journey.
- Packaging->Beautiful PP plastic original box insure the pen safe and come with a box of ink cartridges, is the perfect gift for everyone.
- Promise->We offer the 100% guarantee for this pen, if you find this pen is not meet your requirement, you can ask the full refund. And we also offer the lifetime warranty, if any problems caused, just please contact us, and we will try our best to help you solve the problems.
Paying $20 for a pen isn’t going to break the bank, but it will certainly hurt if the pen goes missing. Especially when dollar stores can sell packages of them for only $1. Keep in mind they won’t have the same quality writing options or durability as a fountain pen. So how do you make sure to keep your fountain pen safe? Try finding one small enough to carry around in your pocket or purse like lipstick or a pocketknife.
- High-quality acrylic pen material
- Gold-plated iridium
- Eyedropper for refilling ink cartridges (included)
If the idea of writing with a small pen makes you mildly concerned, no worries. Once you put the cap on the end of the pen, it’ll be about the same size as a general pen. And unlike some other fountain pens, this cap does stay in place.
In addition to the fine nib pen, the set also includes a polypropylene (PP) plastic box, a box of ink cartridges and an eyedropper.
- May not be ideal for larger hands
If this pen is not for you, there is a 100 percent money-back guarantee. Additionally, there is also a lifetime warranty if problems arise. Contact customer service to resolve any potential issues.
Visconti Rembrandt Blue Fountain Pen
- Design inspired by one of the world's greatest artists
- Delicate chiaroscuro details echoed in the finish
- Rounded resin barrels are comfortable in hand
- Restyled Visconti clip with a virtually indestructible spring mechanism
- Magnetic lock snaps the cap and barrel together
While handwriting courses took a nosedive in schools (before the popularity started to return), art teachers haven’t quite made the same kind of comeback. In Chicago alone, more than 1,000 teachers were laid off in 2016. And from that group, approximately 105 teachers taught art and music. So that means there will more than likely be students who have never heard of quite a few legendary artists. Ones like Vincent van Gogh may have left a lasting impression in art classes for cutting off part of his left ear. But there were others with a less startling past, including Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn.
- Replicates Rembrandt’s chiaroscuro (a painting technique)
- Engraved metal ring
- Finely engraved steel nib
Handmade in Florence, Italy, the Visconti Rembrandt Collection was voted “Most Incredible Value” in the Pen World Reader’s Choice Awards. For the selfie lover, learning more about the Dutch storyteller and painter who seemed to enjoy painting self-portraits should be interesting in itself. And should you ever forget the artistic inspiration for this pen, there are ornamental motifs used by Rembrandt engraved into the pen.
- One reviewer was very vocal about “baby’s bottom” with three different pens (when the nib area doesn’t meet the paper to write consistent marks)
Although the pen may be cool enough to keep as decor should it ever stop working, it does have a two-year manufacturer warranty. Use it often to make sure the pen fits your writing needs. And if you want to collect other artistic pens, check out ones by van Gogh, although they are on the pricier side.
Pelikan Twist Fountain Pen
$19.17 in stock
- Trendy fountain pens in a twisted design
- Twist pens lie comfortably in the hand due to its ergonomic shape
- Suitable for both right and left-handed writers
- Stainless steel medium nib
- Pelikan #4001 refill cartridges are easy to replace
The papal secretary was the highest position an everyday person could get during medieval Europe. Knowing several different scripts and being a note-taker was valuable then, and it’s still valuable now. Dare to disagree? Take a casual scroll through the amount of job interview posts that highly encourage handwritten notes thanking employers for speaking with them. And one of the most stand-out pieces of advice is this: “Use a good pen.”
- Twisted design
- Ergonomic shape
- Stainless steel nib
A sight to behold when you pull it out of your purse or pocket, this rose gold pen comes in a twisted design that snaps closed when not in use. The ergonomic shape makes it easy to write with the medium nib, no matter how strange the twisted shape may be.
- Pen cap does not lock into place on top of pen
If certain pens feel better than others, depending on whether you’re left-handed or right-handed, this pen ideally is useful for both groups. If you prefer neon plum more than rose gold, here’s another color option.
Fuliwen Fountain Pen
- The unique cap design combines cute and vivid elephant head pattern, meaning auspicious ,wishful, lucky and wealthy. Highlighting fashion and simplicity.
- Using advanced environmentally friendly materials, made of fully silver colored metal, we provide you with quality writing tools.
- Hand-polished pen nib and comfortable pen grip section give you an enjoyable writing experience. It is ideal for signing documents, taking notes, correcting or editing articles, completing assignments, etc. It is your wise choice whether you are in the workplace, in life or in teaching/school.
- Awesome fountain pen but civilian price!Perfect gift for your friends,families,lovers,teachers,students,children,etc.Buy it now and send him/her a festival blessing!
- We are the professional pen store, any problems please don’t hesitate to contact us, we will try our best to help you solve the problems as soon as quickly.
Imagine a world where punctuation and standardized spelling was not regularly used, and when it was, it was a roll of the dice on consistency. If you’re the Grammar Police on social media now, it’d be tough living pre-18th century. Even more fascinating, wealthy Europeans would reportedly use one script for personal writing and a completely different style of writing for legal and business documents. It was a little bit like code-switching. If you weren’t trained to read or write that style of writing, the same person’s documents could be incoherent to one person and perfectly legible to another. Good luck trying to figure both out!
- Elephant head pattern
- Silver metal
- Hand-polished pen nib
Available in two varying versions of silver and black (a total of four different pens), this medium nib pen set also includes an ink refill converter (in the pen holder).
- Ink cartridges not included
Speaking of the luck that readers had to have in order to read personal, business and legal documents, pens like these also increase chances for luck. That is if you believe in the superstition that the angle of an elephant’s trunk will affect your luck. Some believe the trunk must be up. Others believe the site of an elephant is lucky enough. Either way, for an elephant lover, this is a cool gift.
By now you should’ve learned quite a few fun facts about the perks of handwriting, fountain pen features and ways to enjoy using these supplies. If you’re a novice to fountain pen converters, this JetPens video will help you learn how to properly fill ink for first-time use and how to refill ink once the pen has been used. Take note of ways refilling an ink converter can go wrong, including not lowering the nib down enough, wiping the nib off completely to avoid leaks and learning when/why your converter won’t draw ink. Make sure you’re troubleshooting all of these issues before sending your pens back.
For pro hand writers, which nib you choose is a personal decision depending on what you would use these pens for and how your handwriting looks with them. Beginner hand writers may want to play around with various nibs to decide which pens fit the handwriting appearance you’re going for. Just make sure that your signature matches with both, especially if you plan to carry these pens around to sign official documents. Write on!
For more arts & craft supplies Ram Research have reviewed the following:
Best Fountain Pens
Choosing the best fountain pen is easier with our detailed reviews!
- Parker Sonnet Black Lacquer Fountain Pen
- 4 PCS in Set Gullor 450 Fountain Pen
- Fountain Pen Set
- Edesa Fountain Pen Set
- HENZIN Fountain Pen
- 4 PCS Wingsung Fountain Pen
- Moonman Wancai Mini Transparent Pocket-Size Eyedropper Fountain Pen
- Visconti Rembrandt Blue Fountain Pen
- Pelikan Twist Fountain Pen
- Fuliwen Fountain Pen