Avid gardeners know that a garden plagued with weeds will be unhealthy and unattractive. Our research tells us that the most enthusiastic gardeners are already planning for those first days of spring and a new planting season to begin. Perhaps a new pump sprayer is on your must-have list for next season. We are here to help you find the best garden sprayer.
The most popular garden sprayers for home use are the pump hand sprayer, the pump backpack sprayer, and the battery backpack sprayer.
To help you determine which will be the best garden sprayer for you, let’s look first at some types of sprayers before we share our garden sprayer reviews.
Types of Garden Sprayers
Hand Pump Sprayer
A small cylinder holds the weed spray. You pump it up and down and spray with your dominant hand, and you carry it with your weaker hand. They come in various sizes.
The larger capacity sprayers require less refilling, but they’re heavier to carry. The best pump sprayer for you will be the one that combines the right amount of volume without excessive weight for your fitness level. These are best used for smaller gardens or projects.
Pump Backpack Sprayer
The pump backpack sprayer attaches to your back and leaves you relatively hands-free. You pull a lever forward to pump the spray and use your dominant hand to spray the weeds.
They typically have a larger capacity than hand pump sprayer models, as you will comfortably distribute the weight across your back. Be careful not to choose one so large that you can’t easily shrug into it and lift. You’ll want this type of sprayer with a larger garden.
Battery Operated Backpack Sprayer
This unit is similar in structure to the pump backpack sprayer, with one big added convenience. You don’t need to pull a lever to pump the sprayer as you’re using it. It the sprayer is battery-operated and the electric pump springs to life when you depress the trigger on the nozzle.
This makes it much easier to use, and the style is widely considered the best weed sprayer all-around. However, remember that you’re dependent on battery power, so keep backup batteries charging so you don’t get left hanging mid-chores! For a large yard, or whole-yard use, this is the unit that will be the most useful.
Now that you have an overview of the kinds of garden sprayers, let’s move on to garden sprayer reviews.
Best Garden Sprayer Reviews
Smith Performance R200 Compression Sprayer
- Professional grade sprayer and components built to withstand harsh agricultural chemicals along with rugged transport and use
- Durable, 21 inch stainless steel wand with exclusive poly lining and the highest quality Viton seals for maximum chemical resistance
- Highly efficient pump requires 25% fewer pumps per gallon than leading competitor
- In-line, easy-to-access filter has more surface area than leading competitors which reduces clogging and minimizes cleaning
- Faster, easier repair - pump seals can be changed within minutes without tools, which equals less downtime
Whether you need to kill weeds, nourish your plants with liquid fertilizer, or exterminate invasive bugs around your yard, the Smith Performance Sprayer R200 is a great all-around sprayer. It has a smaller, 2 gallon tank to accommodate quick, small jobs. It’s also perfect for those who can’t lift a heavy sprayer.
- 2-gallon tank
- Pump sprayer
- 21” stainless steel wand
- Pump seals are easy to access
- Filter to help avoid clogging
- 4 nozzles included
- Nylon shoulder strap
The Smith Performance Sprayer is a favorite for anyone who needs to be mindful of how much weight they should lift, as the 2-gallon capacity is one of the smallest sized pump sprayers.
- Small 2-gallon tank ensures light in weight
- High-efficiency pump means you need to pump the sprayer less times per gallon
- Contains a filter to help avoid clogging that can slow you down
- Pump seals are easy to access, making them easy to replace in just a few minutes
- Change the spray pattern by changing nozzles
- Small capacity means more refills
- The liquid continues to slowly drip after releasing the trigger
For a good, general sprayer that will serve you well for many types of gardening tasks, consider the Smith Performance Sprayer. You will get a lot of bang for your buck with this sprayer.
TABOR TOOLS N-80 Garden Pump Pressure Sprayer
- PRACTICAL PUMP SPRAYER: 2-gallon compression sprayer for indoor and outdoor use. This sturdy sprayer is compatible with most commercial liquid fertilizers, weed killers, herbicides & fungicides. This product is also suitable for spraying water up to 131°F and for solvent-free mild pest control chemicals (PH range 5-8). NOT suitable for caustic or acidic (vinegar) solutions.
- EASY FILLING. Funnel top opening allows for easy no-mess filling. Simply unscrew, fill up the bottle, and close the lid. Pump up the pressure and you are ready to go!
- TRANSPARENT BOTTLE. Check the fluid level is visible through the translucent bottle. You will know exactly when to refill.
- SPRAYING WAND. Enjoy a better reach and work standing up straight with the help of the sprayer wand. The sprayer comes with shoulder strap, so you can save your back. The comfort-grip handle has a shut-off valve, so you can rest your hand while keeping a constant flow.
- ORDER WITH CONFIDENCE. The TABOR TOOLS customer satisfaction guarantee means exactly that. We will fix any problems quickly and answer to your need every time. We are always available to help our customers; our service record is unmatched!
Some sprayers aren’t indicated for use with household cleansers or bleach. The Tabor Tools N-80, however, is safe to use with cleaning products. One note of caution is warranted. If you use your sprayer for bleach, never mix any other solutions in it again. Bleach is an unstable product and can emit toxic fumes when mixed with other chemicals.
- 2 gallon tank size
- Long wand with auto shut off
- Translucent tank
- Shoulder strap for easy carrying
- Easy to pump handle
- Suitable for household cleansers
Tabor Tools also offers their customer a satisfaction guarantee. They want customers happy, and that explains why so many customers use Tabor exclusively for their sprayer needs.
- Nicely sized 2 gallon tank is easy for most to tote
- The long wand length allow you to spray higher places
- Translucent tank allows you to see when it’s time for a refill
- Shoulder strap makes carrying the tank convenient
- Trigger allows you to lock it into place for continual spraying without hand fatigue
- While it accommodates household cleaners, you may not use vinegar in this unit
- Narrow opening, might require a funnel rather than direct pour
For a solidly performing sprayer, you can trust Tabor Tools. Remember, they do have a satisfaction guarantee to allow you to confidently buy now.
Roundup PRO 190410 Sprayer
- Shut-off includes a 'lock-on' feature to reduce hand fatigue; a nickel-plated brass poppet for strength and precision; and an easy-to-clean, in-line filter to reduce clogging
- Commercial grade stainless steel wand with Viton seals throughout pump and shut-off for long-term resistance to chemicals
- The highly efficient pump requires 25% fewer strokes - saving you time and energy.
- Pull-button pressure release valve safely releases pressure before opening the tank
- 5 nozzles included for ultimate versatility: brass adjustable, poly adjustable, 2 flat fans, and foaming nozzle
Roundup is a long-trusted name in home lawn and garden care. When you invest in Roundup products, you know you’re spending money with a company that is committed to effective products. The Roundup Pro 2-Gallon Sprayer is no exception to this rule, as it reflects attention to comfort and other sprayers forget. This makes this model the best pump sprayer for many gardeners.
- 2 gallon sprayer
- Ergonomic trigger
- 36” Stainless steel wand
- High efficiency pump
- Includes 5 nozzles
- Shoulder strap
- Base constructed to sit without tipping
When you are in the market for the best garden sprayer, you know you can turn to the lawn care experts at Roundup.
- Base sits on the ground securely and resists tipping over when sat down
- Nylon carrying strap aids you in use
- Ergonomic trigger reduces fatigued hands and fingers
- 2 gallon size is easy to carry
- Stainless steel wand resists corrosion from chemicals used
- 5 nozzles are included for customized application
- 2 gallon size might be too small for some users
- The force of the spray is not enough to spray from far away
For a reliable and trusted product from a company that you know, choose the Roundup Pro 2 gallon sprayer to use for all your weed control and bug spraying needs.
Field King Professional No Leak Pump Backpack Sprayer
$76.73 in stock
- Internal No Leak Pump design is safer to use chemicals will not drip down your back. Internal piston pump delivers up to 150 PSI
- Durable, 21 inch poly wand with the highest quality Viton seals can be used with Wet table powders and liquids for all applications does the work of both a piston and diaphragm backpack
- Premium, lockable shut off with brass components and an in-line filter.
- Easy access pump allows changing of seals in just minutes with no tools
- 4 nozzles included: brass adjustable, 2 flat fans, and foaming nozzle. Also accepts Tee Jet nozzles.
We are including the Field King Professional No Leak Pump Backpack sprayer on our garden sprayer reviews because its “Amazon’s Choice” designation caught our attention. The Amazon’s Choice designation is only awarded to the products with the best value and all indications point to highly satisfied customers.
- No Leak Pump
- 4 gallon capacity
- 21” wand
- In-line filter
- Internal paddles
- 4 nozzles
- One way valve
- Reversible pump handle
- Wand storage notch
- Lightly padded shoulder straps
Literally, hundreds of Amazon users have given the Field King Professional No Lead Backpack Sprayer a seal of approval. You know you’re getting a quality item with the Amazon’s Choice designation.
- In-line filter prevents clogging
- Internal paddles keep product mixed throughout use
- One way valve prevents product from spilling out if tipped over
- Pump handle can be used by either right- or left-handed gardeners
- When not in use, the wand stores in a notch on the unit to keep it free of crimps
- No lead pump deters leakage of chemicals down your back as you are spraying
- 4 nozzles for custom product application
- Safe for herbicides, pest control, or liquid fertilizers
- Pumping with one hand while spraying with the other takes getting used to
- Handle does not fold for storage
- Hard to tell how the tank is due to opaque white color
When you’re trying to determine the best weed sprayer, it can be confusing. Trust the Amazon’s Choice approval and you’re assured of a product you’ll love.
Chapin International 61500 Chapin Euro Style Backpack Sprayer
$52.99 in stock
- 4-Gallon 4-inch wide mouth opening, translucent tank for easy filling and cleaning
- Compatible with common fertilizers, weed killers and pesticides
- 2-Stage filtration system, one filter at the top and another filter at shut-off
- Poly shut-off with 2 nozzles: adjustable poly cone and fan tip
- Padded shoulder straps to accommodate a full backpack for hours. Seal Material - Nitrile
If you prefer to shop for products that are Made in the USA, the Chapin International 61500 Euro Style Backpack sprayer could be the best pump sprayer for you. It is 100% assembled in the United States but built attractively with European styling. This means you get the best of both worlds with this sprayer.
- 4 gallon capacity
- Translucent color
- 2 adjustable nozzles
- Lightly padded shoulder straps
- 4” opening on top of the sprayer
- Filter to prevent clogging
- Attractive Euro styling
In addition to being able to spray weeds, bugs, and fertilizers with this, it’s also indicated for safe use with common household cleansers. You can use it to pre-apply cleansers to your home or sidewalk to cut the grime before pressure washing.
- 4 gallon capacity is “just right” for most homeowners and gardeners
- Translucent color allows you to see how much product is in the sprayer
- Comes with two nozzles, each one easily twists to adjust
- Shoulder straps are lightly padded for your comfort
- Two filter ensure clog-free use
- Carry handle on the top allows you to hang it when not in use or stabilize it as you pull on the shoulder straps
- Automatic shut off prevents dripping
- Left hand only pump, it’s not reversible and is intended for right-handed people
For Made in the USA quality, purchase the Chapin Euro Style Backpack Sprayer. You won’t be disappointed in the performance.
Roundup 190314 Backpack Sprayer
$65.98 in stock
- 4-Gallon sprayer meets all your spraying needs (controlling weeds and pests, growing flowers and vegetables and cleaning decks and siding)
- Heavy-duty poly wand with shut-off featuring a comfort grip, lock for continuous spraying and an in-line filter
- Viton seals and gaskets throughout the pump and shut-off for long lasting chemical resistance
- Adjustable padded straps with waist belt and built-in lumbar support
- Includes 3 nozzles for versatility: poly adjustable, high volume fan, and low volume fan
The Roundup 490314 five gallon backpack sprayer is hailed a multi-tasking powerhouse by many users and lands on our garden sprayer reviews list. You can use this spray to apply liquid fertilizers or herbicides in your garden, insecticides around your home’s foundation, and to apply liquid cleaners to your patio, deck, or driveway.
- 5 gallon capacity
- Heavy duty wand
- Automatic shut off
- Padded shoulder straps
- Added lumbar support
- Includes 3 nozzles
- Ergonomic trigger/grip
- Reversible pump handle
Having a sprayer that can assist you with tackling your largest gardening and household chores will help complete your work efficiently.
- 5 gallon capacity
- Wand has auto shut-off, so you won’t dribble product
- Choose from 3 nozzles for custom application
- The wand is ergonomic to reduce stress on your hand and fingers
- Padded shoulder straps and added lumbar support ensure comfort during use
- Pump handle is reversible to either left or right
- 5 gallon capacity makes this fairly hefty when full
- Must pump frequently to keep the pressure strong
When you need to accomplish large jobs and don’t want to stop to refill your products, the Roundup Pro Backpack Sprayer is up for the job. In fact, the supersized capacity make many gardeners dub it the best garden sprayer overall.
Field King 190515 Professionals Battery Powered Backpack Sprayer
- No pumping required while using with liquids and water soluble solutions
- Up to 4 hours of spray duration on a single charge or 50 gallons of liquid (with 8002 nozzle)
- 18 volt Lithium-Ion 2.1 Ah Battery charges in 3.5 hours (charger included). interchangeable Battery system.
- Pre-set spraying pressure at 40 psi, 0.2 GPM, for typical landscape applications (with 8002 nozzle)
- Powder-coated Steel frame for durability and chemical resistance
Not only does Field King hold the Amazon’s Choice pick for pump backpack sprayer, but they also hold the same coveted award in the battery-powered backpack sprayer category. Their commitment to great design, ergonomic features, and product that are built to last translates is evident in the battery powered backpack sprayer.
- 4 gallon capacity
- Battery powered pump, no manual pumping
- 18 volt battery with 3.5 hours
- Battery charger included
- Pressure pre-set at 40 psi
- Padded shoulder straps
- Triple filtration to avoid clogs
- Carrying handle
- On board wand storage
- 4 nozzles
- Drip free shut off
When you are seeking guidance on the weed sprayer that will work best in your own garden, trust the garden sprayer reviews on Amazon. You’ll find honest feedback from others who have purchased the same items that you’re considering.
- Shoulder and back straps are padded for comfort
- No manual pumping, battery powered
- Battery stores housed internally. No worry about spilling liquids or an unexpected rain shower damaging them.
- Comes with 4 nozzles for customize use
- No-drip spray handle
- Three filters to help avoid the frustration of clogged spray
- Battery takes 3.5 hours to charge
- Pre-set pressure
When you have uncertainty about what to purchase, Amazon’s Choice products are always a great bet! You can purchase this garden sprayer confident in the knowledge that it’s Amazon-approved.
My 4 Sons 4-Gallon Battery Powered Backpack Sprayer
- SAME DAY SHIPPING, Call Lance at 707-478-2162 with any questions.INCLUDES SPECIALLY DESIGNED ROLLING CART, Includes 13 Gallon Accessory/Tool Bag With Three Outside Pockets. Cart Can Be Used For Gardening, Shopping, Hardware, etc. EXTENDED 15FT HOSE AND SPRAY PISTOL AND A HD STAINLESS STEEL WAND
- Automatic 60 PSI Pump With Adjustable output, The Most POWERFUL 4 GALLON SPRAYER ON AMAZON! The M4 Will spray up to 30 feet! THE SPRAY PISTOL Dynamically variable Spray pattern. Goes from fine midst to super long distance jet depending on trigger pressure.
- Never needs pumping! Sprays For 8 hours on a single Battery Charge. Includes AC charger that completely charges battery in 8 hours
- Large Wide Mouth opening allows for easy filling and features a screen filter to keep dirt/debris out of tank. On/Off switch is accessible while wearing. Battery life indicator lights.
- BONUS QUICK RELEASE FOR PISTOL SPRAYER. Locking trigger for improved ergonomics. Bonus adjustable BRASS nozzle included. Heavy duty shoulder straps bolted to to sprayer to prevent disconnection and dropping. Adjustable steel wand with curved tip for on-target spraying. Final assembly and quality tested in the USA.
The My 4 Sons 4-Gallon Battery Powered Backpack sprayer comes with this comprehensive kit that includes extra goodies like a 15 foot hose, wheeled cart, and a pistol grip nozzle. This allows you the ultimate in comfort and flexibility when you’re in for a day-long gardening project.
- 4 Gallon tank capacity
- Includes rolling cart and pocketed accessory bag
- Adjustable pressure up to 60 PSI
- Runs for 8 hours when fully charged
- Wide mouth opening
- Battery life indicator
- Adjustable wand and nozzles
- 15 foot hose upgrade
The owners of My 4 Sons are so confident in the quality of their unit that they put their cell phone number and direct email address in the package. No other manufacturers that we’ve seen have offered that assurance. This fact, along with the great accessory kit, is the reason that the My 4 Sons Backpack Sprayer makes the best garden sprayer list.
- Generously equipped accessory pack: 15 foot hose, pistol grip nozzle, rolling cart, accessory storage
- You decide on the pressure, up to 60 PSI
- Large mouth opening for easy filling
- Battery life indicator so you don’t get caught by surprise
- Comfortable shoulder straps to ease tension
- The battery takes 8 hours to fully charge
Because the owner gives his personal word, and his cell phone number, to every customer (plus published it on Amazon), we are certain that you will find the My 4 Sons Backpack sprayer a wise investment.
Solo 417 Battery Powered Backpack Sprayer
- Impressive spraying performance with a 12V Electric Pump
- No maintenance 12V Lead-gel Battery, 7.2 Ah
- 4.75 US Gallon HDPE, translucent, UV resistant Formula Tank
- Adjust pressure with two-step Toggle Switch: 36 psi and 62 psi
- Padded Shoulder Straps
When you invest in a battery backpack sprayer, you expect great performance. That’s exactly what you’ll get with the Solo 4.5 Gallon Battery Powered Backpack Sprayer. This allow you to choose between two pre-set pressures, so you can master and gardening task.
- 5 gallon tank capacity
- Translucent tank
- Uses 12 volt lead gel battery
- Padded shoulder straps
- Toggle between two pressures
- Stand holds unit upright when you need to set it down
Being able to toggle between two pressures, pre-set at 36 PSI or 62 PSI allows you an uncomplicated user experience.
- 5 gallon is a nice, large capacity for large gardens
- Translucent tank allows you to see exactly how much solution remains
- Padded shoulder straps allow for greater comfort
- Maintenance free battery
- Easy to toggle between the two pressures for any job
- Take the weight off your back and rest! The metal stand will hold the unit upright for you while you continue to spray away.
- Pressure is not completely customizable or adjustable, only partially
- Unit is very heavy when filled with solution, might be too heavy for some to lift onto their backs
The Solo Sprayer is one of the easiest to use battery backpack sprayers available in the market today. If you are new to battery-operated units, this could be the best weed sprayer for you.
10. Chapin International Sure Spray 20000 Garden Sprayer
For gardeners who require the lightest weight of sprayer, the Chapin International 20000 Garden Sprayer is the best weed sprayer for you.
While some gardeners choose the Chapin International Sure Spray for its tiny weight, others choose it because they like to have multiple sprayers filled with multiple chemicals. For example, they may purchase one to fill with weed control product and the other with insect control spray.
- Translucent finish
- Includes filter
- Ergonomic spray nozzle
- Ergonomic pump handle
- Wide mouth opening
This sprayer is meant for use! Purchase multiple 1 gallon sprayers so you can have the flexibility of using two sprayers for multiple uses throughout your gardening projects.
- Filter ensures spraying without clogging
- Ergonomic handles make both pumping and spraying easier
- Shut-off built into trigger to keep your hand comfortable
- Translucent color allows you to see when filling the sprayer, no overflows!
- Wide mouth opening accommodates easier filling
- Very small in size
- Not as ruggedly constructed as some others in our garden sprayer reviews
For the convenience and flexibility in use of having multiple, smaller sprayers, this is a great unit for the job. Or, if you are absolutely not able to lift a larger tank, this is the best weed sprayer for you to select.
Cleaning and Maintaining Your Garden Sprayer
The key to a long-lasting and well-functioning sprayer that will last you for many years is proper cleaning and maintenance. Here are a few tips.
- Clean the sprayer after every use. Fill the tank with water, swoosh it around, and fill it about ¼ of the way again. Run the water through the spray hose until you empty the tank again. Repeat if there’s still any residue.
- Never put your sprayer away dirty. It’s tempting to skip those above-listed steps, but it’s sure disaster for your sprayer.
- Let the tank dry before you cap it for storage. Putting it away wet can cause damage.
- Inspect and replace filters, nozzles, and nozzles when needed. Forgetting to do so can affect the performance.
- Even though practically everyone does it at one time or another, you’re really not supposed to store your chemicals in your tank. It can wear down the tank and is dangerous if someone else isn’t aware of the danger.
The best garden sprayer for you is the one that works best for your gardening needs. If you need a lightweight unit for a small yard, choose a hand pump sprayer. Or, choose a backpack sprayer for larger needs.
Check out Ram Research’s detailed garden care products here:
Best Garden Sprayer
Choosing the best garden sprayer is made easier with these detailed reviews!
- Smith Performance R200 Compression Sprayer
- TABOR TOOLS N-80 Garden Pump Pressure Sprayer
- Roundup PRO 190410 Sprayer
- Field King Professional No Leak Pump Backpack Sprayer
- Chapin International 61500 Chapin Euro Style Backpack Sprayer
- Roundup 190314 Backpack Sprayer
- Field King 190515 Professionals Battery Powered Backpack Sprayer
- My 4 Sons 4-Gallon Battery Powered Backpack Sprayer
- Solo 417 Battery Powered Backpack Sprayer
- Chapin Garden Sprayer