If you plan to spend a day or days out on the water having a comfortable kayak seat is a must! Learn from my mistake and invest in a quality one from the beginning.
Many kayaks will include a seat but there are some that are pretty average, to be honest! If you are unhappy with the included one then read on for a few alternative options.
If your kayak doesn’t have the best kayak seat then it will really hinder your experience and distract you from the beauty around you.
In the following article, we review the best kayak seats so let’s get into it!
What are The Best Kayak Seats Available
What to Look For
Comfort is key when it comes to a kayak seat so one made from foam cushioning, neoprene, mesh and rubber would be ideal.
A seat that is flexible yet durable is essential here. If you choose a seat with a mesh back panel this also doubles as a great ventilator. A supportive yet breathable backrest is a good choice.
If this is not possible or it doesn’t offer enough support a foam-cushioned one with a water-resistant cover is the best thing.
Adjustability is a good feature allowing multiple people to enjoy the kayak. It also allows you to change the seat while in use so you can switch up your paddling posture.
Lastly, you want to double-check that the kayak seat is compatible with your kayak!
Ocean Plus Back
- The Comfort Zone offers generous back support with its tall height, perfect for a full day on the water.
- Enjoy a softer ride with the extra seat padding, which offers more cushioning than traditional kayak seats.
- Adjustable straps on the sides allow the paddler to fine-tune the seat to a variety of comfort options.
- The tough nylon construction includes a built-in ventilation system to help keep any paddler cool and dry.
- Includes brass swivel buckles for attachment; the Comfort Zone seats are featured on Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra kayaks.
Ocean Kayak is a well-known brand that manufactures high-quality goods. The comfort-plus seatback is one of their best sellers so let’s take a look at why.
- Padded back for comfort
- Heavy-duty clips
- UV-resistant nylon pack cloth
- 4-way mounting-straps
- Reflective logos that illuminate in the dark after exposure to sunlight
This one is designed for long periods of time on the water. The construction and design of this one ensure durability as well as longevity.
The solid brass clips are strong and this along with the stainless steel springs make it easy to attach to your kayak. In addition, the straps are adjustable, 4 different ways meaning you can easily change your positioning and others can use it too.
Extra foam padding appeals the most and the nylon fabric is UV resistant and resistant against wear.
In addition to this, the comfort-plus seat has reflective logos that illuminate in the dark if they are exposed to sunlight. This is an added safety feature that can come in handy if you miscalculate your time on the water!
Ocean Kayak Tech
- This adjustable kayak seat is designed for Ocean Kayak's sit-on-top kayak models.
- Features more padding, added built-in ventilation system, reflective logos, and a taller seat back for additional support.
- A UV-resistant nylon pack cloth construction ensures durability.
- Four-way adjustable mounting straps create perfect seating comfort.
- Reinforced stays add additional back support while a brass swivel buckles for attachment.
The Ocean Tech is another cushioned one suited to a sit on top kayak. This model offers a little more height on the back panel than the previous model.
- Built-in ventilation system
- Reflective logos
- Taller back for additional support
- UV-resistant nylon pack cloth
- Four-way mounting-straps create perfect seating comfort
- Brass swivel buckles for attachment
With a slightly taller back design, this is ideal for those who are quite tall or those who would like a little more support.
There are 4 mounting-straps that make it easy to shape for different users or to adjust while out on the water.
Built-in reflective logos make it easier to be seen out on the water when illuminated and the nylon cloth is UV resistant. Meaning the Ocean Tech is designed to last.
YakPads High-Back Gel Paddle Saddle
- This gel-filled seat cushion allows you to stay on the water longer in comfort.
- YakPads proprietary comfort gel padding is soft enough to provide dramatic improvements in comfort, yet thin enough that it doesn't raise your center of gravity.
- Back rests attach easily using quick snap buckles.
- High backrest best for recreational kayaks.
- Low backrest best for touring kayaks.
YakPads is a high back gel-padding that will sit on top of your current seat. This is a popular choice and comes with positive reviews.
- Cushioning for comfort
- For placement on top of an existing seat
- High backrest
- Soft lycra with neoprene material
- Non-skid design on the bottom
Gel-filled cushioning makes spending time on the water much more comfortable. The seat will improve significantly the comfort level without compromising your stability via the center of gravity.
To attach your seat you will need to use quick snap buckles. This has been made for recreational kayakers and casual use.
Please note that this is made to sit on top of the seat you currently use, this is not the entire seat itself, just the gel padding.
The gel filling used in the YakPak Gel Paddle distributes evenly and not only increases your endurance it also enhances your experience.
GTS Expedition Molded Foam
- Contour molded, 18 in. tall, thermoformed foam backrest
- High quality, long lasting kayak seat with firm comfortable support for hours
- bungee pouch is specially designed to follow the sleek contours of the seat, made from durable, flexible mesh
- 2 in. thick seat bottom has deep comfort channels that also serve as drainage for excess cockpit water
Designed for a sit on top kayak the GTS Expedition is a top of the range seat made for maximum comfort.
- Made from thermoformed foam/plastic/fabric blend
- 18″ tall backrest
- Lumbar support
- Thick bottom
- Fully adjustable
Contour molded the backrest of this seat measures 18″ tall. The foam used for cushioning is thermoformed which includes grooves shaped specifically to hug and support the spine.
In addition, there is a lumbar stability wrap around as well as a 2″ thick bottom. The grooves or channels built into the seat allow for drainage of any liquid that may fill the cockpit.
While this one offers a high level of comfort it also offers flexibility. Made for anti-slip this seat uses a 6 point triangular rear strapping system allowing you to customize the seat to your comfort level.
Forward slippage is also eliminated with the GTS Expedition via the two upper points and two lower points.
Skwoosh High Back Kayak
- Waterproof seat cushion - all waterproof materials and welded construction
- Fluidized Gel Pad seat for comfort
- Comfortable 20 in. padded back rest and adjustable side wings
- Fiberglass battens give additional strength to seatback
- Easy access bungee net on the back to stow essential gear
The Skwoosh offers excellent lumbar and spinal support for lengthy hours on your kayak.
- Reinforced back with 2 battens for structure and strength
- Easy to install
- Waterproof fluidized gel-cushion with welded construction
- Cushion is 1″ thick
- 4 straps for fitting to your kayak with corrosion-resistant swivel clips
- Made with heavy-duty fabrics in the USA
The Skwoosh is a low profile seat that will not compromise your stability while using it. This seat offers a pressure-relieving fluidized gel-cushion that has Air Flo 3D breathable fabric.
The back of this one is 20″ high so if you are tall or need that extra support then this chair is a great choice.
There is also a bungee net on the back of the seat which can also be used for storage as well as a full-sized drainable zipper pocket.
With 4 straps that are corrosion resistant, the Skwoosh is designed to last.
Sportsman Supply Inc
- Built with our proprietary process of layered foam, fabric, and plastic, compression molded at 400 F and 60 tons of pressure
- 4 point adjustable attachment system for customizable comfort
- Comes with a detachable pack for added storage
- Seat Back: 16.5"L x 22"W
- Seat Cushion: 14"L x 16"W x 3/4"H
The Surf to Summit Outfitter kayak is the last one to make the review. Originally made for use at kayak lessons and classes, this one is comfortable.
- Made with high-quality foam and plastic
- 4 point attachment system for customizable comfort
- Comes with a detachable pack for added storage
- Basic yet effective
The Outfitter seat is a very durable one that has been manufactured at high temperatures and pressures resulting in a high-quality product.
Made from layered foam, fabric, and plastic this seat is compressed with the end result being a quality, durable kayak seat.
There are 4 points on the seat making it easy to shape and adjust within your sit on top kayak. This one also incorporates a detachable pack that is great for any extra storage you may need.
The back of the Surf to Sea Outfitter measures at 16.5″ high so if you are looking for something taller than that then try one of the previous models.
Leader Accessories Deluxe
- DURABLE MODELD FOAM -- Made of durable EVA foam interior and 210D polyester exterior. Deluxe molded thick foam cushion can support long-term water sports and add more comfort for all day long.
- EXCELLENT HOOKS -- High-grade hooks are used in our kayak seats, which are dfferent from most of the hooks in the market. The excellent hooks are even more corrosion resistance, long service life.
- ADJUSTABLE STRAPS -- 2 straps in front, 2 straps in rear allowing the seat to be fixed in place according to different needs, give a wide range of adjustability to accommodate most any kayak, very easy to install and removal.
- BETTER DESIGN -- High back desigh and padded supports your back and butt, it is in line with ergonomics and provides incredible comfort in your water trip.
- STORAGE BAG -- Coming with a waterproof detachable storage bag at the back, offering extra storage for other small things.
The Leader Deluxe is an affordable, and comfortable seat that uses molded foam to really fit to the body.
- Molded foam kayak seat
- Marine-grade solid brass connecting snaps
- Straps & Webbing
- Great support
The backrest is 18 inches high and 20 inches wide while the seat part is 15 inches wide and 12 inches long.
Made to last this seat has marine-grade brass straps that ensure the seat remains in place. As the seat is molded it fits nicely to the shape of the back and offers support where needed.
The high backrest of 18 inches makes this seat ideal for taller users. If you have struggled to find a big enough seat then this should do the job.
Interestingly the padding of the seat has deep grooves which some customers don’t like. Deep grooves allow for breathability but some people say it compromises on comfort.
Overall the Leader Deluxe is well priced and highly rated for a larger, comfortable kayak seat!
Vibe Kayaks Deluxe Padded
- SUPERIOR DESIGN | Marine grade solid brass connecting snaps
- VERSATILE USE | 4 adjustable straps to fit most sit-on-top kayaks
- OPTIMIZE STORAGE | Extra storage in the detachable bag
- WATER RESISTANT | Storage pouch is wax coated for water resistance
- COMFORT & SUPPORT | Extra back support and comfort for longer days on the water
Vibe Kayaks offers another very affordable option for a comfortable seat for a day on the water.
- Solid brass connecting snaps
- Four-way strap design
- Detachable bag
- Good level of support
This one includes multi-adjustable UV protected straps both in the front and rear of the seat. The connector snaps are made from marine-grade solid brass so you can rest assured that they aren’t going to break.
The thing that sets this one apart is the rear clip-on bag attachment which gives you an additional dry compartment on the kayak. Great for personal items such as a mobile device, your lunch or even some fishing tackle if that’s part of your plans.
Suitable for taller users the back height is 18 inches and the back width is 19 inches. The seat has a length of 12 inches and an overall total weight of 3 pounds meaning you won’t really notice the additional weight while moving.
Overall the Vibe Kayaks offers another budget-friendly, comfortable and adjustable-kayak-seat for days spent on the water.
Surf To Summit GTS Sport
- MADE IN USA! Enhanced molded in water channeling grooves.
- Built in Tri-laminated backrests structural support.
- Multi-adjustable front and rear straps solidly lock in seat position. Two front attachment straps and two back attachment straps
- Generously sized built in zipper pack.
- Seat Back: 13”L x 24”W. Seat Cushion: 14”L x 14”W x 3/4”H
The Surf to Summit Kayak is a premium one – just look at the amount of cushioning on it! This is a top-quality option if your budget allows.
- Water-channeling grooves
- Tri-laminated backrests
- Built-in zipper pack on the back
This kayak seat is built for comfort for those long days adventuring around on a kayak. The seat is made from a lycra foam laminate making it durable and very comfortable.
In addition, the backrest is tri-laminated for durability and enhanced structural support. This seat has a 12.5 inch high back which suits smaller paddlers and those who don’t want to compromise on agility.
The padding on the lower back is top quality and the panels mold to the back nicely. Due to the laminate, this seat is very durable as is the adjustable-straps.
Grooves in the seat allow for effective drainage if water gets into the kayak as well as ventilation while in use.
Overall the Surf to Summit Kayak is a top-quality one that is built to conform well to your back, offer support and mostly comfort for days spent on the water.
Yak-Gear Manta Ray
- Compatible with sit on top kayaks, sit inside kayaks, and canoes.
- 19 inch tall adjustable back is adjustable, 15 inch wide non-skid bottom
- 1.5 inch thick EVA Foam bottom
- To install the Manta Ray seat on a sit inside kayak, you will need to also purchase the YakGear 5 Piece Pad Eye Kit.
- D-Rings for additional connection capabilities
The Yak Gear Manta Ray Seat offers a 1.5 inch thick EVA foam bottom which offers A LOT of padding where it’s needed.
- 1.5″ thick bottom
- Compatible with most kayaks
- Suited for taller paddlers
- Non-skid bottom
Suitable for use with canoes, sit on top and sit inside kayaks, if you want to use it with a sit inside you’ll also need to purchase the Yak Gear 5 piece pad eye kit.
This seat is suited to taller users or those who like a lot of back support. The backrest is 19 inches tall and adjustable. The bottom of the seat is 15 inches wide and non-skid so if you are sick of slipping and sliding around on your current seat then this could be the answer!
In addition, the bottom has water-gutters that allow for any water that gets taken on board to flow out easily. It also offers ventilation which is important as no one likes a soggy bottom!
Along with the adjustable-straps, this seat includes two built-in D rings which makes it easy to attach other accessories such as a leash to connect your paddle!
Overall the Yak Gear Manta Ray Seat offers excellent cushioning with the thick bottom and great back support.
Surf To Summit Outfitter Series
- Built with our proprietary process of layered foam, fabric, and plastic, compression molded at 400 F and 60 tons of pressure
- 4 point adjustable attachment system for customizable comfort
- Seat Back: 13"L x 20"W
- Seat Cushion: 14"L x 16"W x 3/4"H
- Lifetime Warranty
Another quality product by Surf to Summit, this seat offers a well made and highly durable kayak seat that is very well priced.
- Very well made
- Thermo molded
This one is manufactured with layered foam, fabric, and plastic which is then molded at 400 F and a whopping 60 tons of pressure. Built to last and built for comfort this seat will see you through long days spent outdoors!
The seatback is 13 inches high and 20 inches wide which makes it a good choice for smaller paddlers and those who need agility and flexibility while paddling.
Arguably the most attractive feature is the lifetime warranty included with this purchase. As far as kayak seats go if you are worried about durability it’s nice to see a company back up their product with a solid guarantee.
iGuerburn Adjustable Padded Kayak Boat
- The kayak seat will come with a detachable seat bag in which you can place your personal belongings conveniently.
- After fitting with adjustable front and back straps, the seat can be adjusted to sit sturdily in place.
- This non-slip contoured padded seat surface and a high backrest design adds extra comfort and safety while you're out and about in the waters.
If you are on the hunt for a high-quality kayak seat for an upgrade, this one is an ideal choice. It not only ensures you are comfortable but comes with features that allow you to customize it to meet your needs.
- Detachable seat bag
- Front and back straps
- Non-slip contoured seat
- High backrest-design
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
This seat is the best for regular users that need a comfortable option when out fishing for hours. It is fully adjustable with the front and back straps. With these, you can pull or loosen them to suit your needs and keep the seat steady, secure, and stable.
The seat comes with a detachable seat bag. This comes in handy as an extra storage option to carry your essentials. You can keep the bag handy to carry items that you need to access quickly.
The design features a non-slip contoured padded-seat surface that contributes to the comfort of the seat. Additionally, it has a high backrest that adds extra comfort and supports your back correctly when out and about in the waters. With this kayak seat, you can fish for hours without worrying about straining your back.
Welugnal Kayak Boating
- LIGHTWEIGHT &DURABLE &COMFORTABLE:Made of Neoprene+600D Polyester material.
- CAN BE ADJUSTED:It is designed to fit most kayaks and canoes, this high quality seat is the best one for enhancing comfort while you're paddling away and exploring in the waters.
- NON-SLIP CONTOURED PADDED SEAT SURFACE:This non-slip contoured padded seat surface and a high backrest design adds extra comfort and safety while you're out and about in the waters.
- FITTED WITH FRONT&BACK STRAPS:To sturdily fix the seat in place.After fitting with adjustable front and back straps, the seat can be adjusted to sit sturdily in place.
- THE DETACHABLE SEAT BAG:The seat will come with a FREE detachable seat bag in which you can place your personal belongings conveniently. Get yourself a seat and make every water trip a comfortable and enjoyable one!
This kayak seat is designed to ensure you are comfortable all through. It is built to last and withstand regular use; thanks to the quality of the material.
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Good construction
- Non-slip contoured padded-seat surface
- Fitted with front and back straps
- Detachable seat bag
The seat is made of neoprene and 600D polyester material. This material combination works best for any condition and holds on well despite regular use. The seat is designed to fit most kayaks and canoes. It can be adjusted to ensure a proper fit for ultimate comfort.
The seat comes with a non-slip contoured padded-seat surface t ensure you are comfortable all the time. It features a high backrest that provides the right support to your back when sitting for hours in the kayak. With the quality of the seat, you never have to deal with back strains and pain.
This kayak seat comes with front and back-straps that make it easy to fix it in place. These are adjustable to ensure it fits right and remains stable all through. This feature makes it widely applicable to different types of kayaks.
Fully adjustable Kayak Padded seat
- Adjustable kayak seat for sit-on-top models
- More padding, added built-in ventilation system, and taller seat back for additional support.with a storage bag on the back of the seat
- UV-resistant nylon pack cloth construction ensures durability
- Four-way adjustable mounting straps create perfect seating comfort
- Reinforced stays add additional back support; brass swivel buckles for attachment
This kayak seat is an advanced design of the regular one to provide even more comfort and convenience. It comes with fantastic features that contribute to its functionality for regular users.
- More padding
- Has a ventilation system
- Taller back for more support
- UV-resistant nylon packcloth construction
- Four-way mounting-straps
- Reinforced stays
- Brass swivel buckles
This is the right seat if you are looking for an upgrade. It is an adjustable seat that ensures you enjoy lasting comfort for hours of paddling. It is designed for sit-on-top kayak models and fits easily on any size of such kayaks.
The seat features more padding to enhance comfort for hours of use. More to this, it features a built-in ventilation system that contributes to your comfort. It has a taller one compared to regular seats to enhance back support keeping you comfortable all through.
The kayak seat comes with a storage bag at the back where you can put easy-access essentials. It features UV-resistant nylon packcloth construction to enhance the durability of the seat. With the reinforced stays, this seat is super-supportive to the back.
Pelican Boats - Kayak or SUP
6 used from $29.30
- Universal adjustable kayak seat for sit on top Kayak or Stand Up Paddle Board (SUP)
- Water repellent seat made of durable and resistant nylon
- Multi adjustment web-strap system and articulated design to maximize your comfort
- Easily attaches to D rings - May require the accessory mounting kit PS1015-2
- 19 in X 19 X 8 in
This kayak seat is designed for sit-on-top kayaks and provides a comfortable experience for hours of paddling.
- Universal adjustable-design
- Ideal for sit-on-top kayaks and stand up paddleboards
- Water-repellent seat
- Multi-adjustment web-strap design
- Easily attaches to D-rings
- Measures 19 x 19 x 8 inches
If you are looking for a basic kayak, sit to fit in a sit-on-top kayak, this is one of the best choices. It comes in a universal sizing that allows it to fit most standard sit-on-top kayaks and SUP’s.
The kayak seat is made for durability and convenient use. It features a high-quality, durable nylon material. The material is resistant to water, ensuring you remain dry all through. The back provides adequate support to prevent straining when paddling for long hours. It is super easy to clean as well and dries quickly.
The kayak seat features a multi-adjustment web-strap system that ensures it stays in place. You can pull and fasten the straps easily to secure the seat in place and ensure it is stable all through. The articulated design enhances your comfort for hours of use. It easily attached to D-rings for more security.
Expedition Kayak with High Back Support
- Reinforced back with 2 battens for structure and strength. Easy to install.
- Waterproof fluidized gel seat cushion with welded construction.
- Seat cushion is 1" thick for low profile and better stability. Bungee net on back of seat for gear storage.
- 4 adjustable straps for fitting to your kayak with corrosion resistant swivel clips
- 2 built-in water bottle holders. Made with heavy duty fabrics in the USA
The design of the kayak seat determines how comfortable it is to use for hours. This particular model from Skwoosh is designed to ensure you enjoy lasting comfort; thanks to the quality padding and the high back.
- Reinforced back for more support
- Waterproof fluidized gel-seat cushion
- Welded construction
- 1-inch thick seat cushion
- Four straps
- One built-in water bottle holders
If your seat is not as supportive to your back, it is time you got your hands on this model. It is designed to ensure proper back support and keep you comfortable for hours. It features a reinforced back with two battens for a better structure and lasting strength.
The seat features waterproof fluidized gel-seat cushion with welded construction. This ensures the stability of the seat and contributes to comfort. The cushion is 1-inch thick for low profile and better stability using it for many hours.
At the back of the seat, there is a bungee net that comes in handy as extra storage space. The kayak seat has four adjustable-straps for easy fitting and lasting security. The bottle holders provide a safe place to carry some drinks and keep you hydrated for extended adventures.
KERCO Angler-x Adjustable Sit on Top Kayak
- The Angler-X Adjustable Kayak seat is designed to fit most kayaks and canoes. It is featured with extra thick sitting pad than most of the kayak seats on the market . The softness of the sitting pad is just about right for a long hour paddling trip.
- Anti-Slip contoured padded seat surface with a high backrest design adds extra comfort and safety while you're out in the waters.
- Adjustable front and back straps can sturdily position the seat in place with the marine quality anti-corrosion clips.
- Build Materials(s): Kerco Molded Dura-Foam/Nylon Fabric. Equipped with Detachable Zipped Back Pack for storing your important belongings
- All Kerco Paddling Gears are supported by Kerco ProTeam here in Wolverine Lake,Michigan. Hassle free customer service is guaranteed.
This kayak seat is designed to fit most kayaks and canoes. It is adjustable to ensure you secure it properly and match the size of your kayak for convenient use.
- Extra-thick sitting pad
- Anti-slip contoured surface
- Front and back straps
- Durable foam and nylon construction
The kayak seat is the best if you are looking for a standard seat to put on a sit-on-top kayak. It has adjustable features that ensure you secure it quickly. It is equipped with front and back-straps that can help you keep the seat in place together with the marine quality, anti-corrosion clips.
The seat features an extra-thick sitting pad than most other regular seats on the market. The pad is super soft and provides cushioning to keep you comfortable for hours. The seat surface is contoured and anti-slip for comfort all through.
One of the features you will love about this kayak seat is the high backrest. It is designed to ensure your back gets proper support preventing back strain and pain. It is, therefore, the best for regular use. With the quality materials, this one can last a long time in good condition.
Choosing a Kayak Seat
There are a few key things to consider when it comes to choosing a kayak seat. They include comfort and support, how often and long you plan to use it and any other features such as adjustability.
Definitely the most important thing! If you are planning to put in some hours on your kayak then you want something that offers comfort.
You also want something that has support. As a rule of thumb the higher the back of the chair the more supportive and comfortable it will be.
There are also seats that have lumbar and lower back support which is great for long term spine health.
Honestly, if you are feeling uncomfortable or a bit disgruntled while kayaking perhaps a more cushioned seat is all you need. The only drawback to a thicker seat is how long it takes to dry.
Kayaking can take its toll on the back, both upper and lower so if you know that you need a bit of extra support then opt for a higher backed seat. This is quite important for any long paddle trips where you are seated in the same position for extended periods of time.
There is a drawback to the higher back seats and that is for those who are looking for speed, agility and the ability to squeeze through and navigate tight spaces. If that is the type of kayaking you predominantly do then a lower seatback will be ideal.
Kayak seats are generally made from the same or similar materials so let’s take a look at each one in a little more depth. The materials should all be durable for the outdoors as well as flexible.
There are a couple of different options with the padded part of the kayak seat. They all have different pros and cons but the same goal – offers comfort and cushioning to your backside while kayaking! Typically, there are three main types.
These seats feel squishy and are comfortable to sit on, these are the same types of seats that can be found in bicycle seats. They are really comfortable while they last although the issue with gel is that they break down and wear quite fast.
When the gel does break down, it can create quite a mess too. This is definitely not ideal for the environment and waterways where the seat will be used but if you take care of it, keep it out of the sun and rinse it off then it is a good choice. Gel is very comfortable and nice to use so consider a gel seat for extended time kayaking.
Pressure Molded Foam
For the frequent paddler who needs durability, this type of seat has a very long life span and will offer comfort when you need it. These are the toughest seats out so if you have pets to take kayaking, younger kids who may be a bit rough with the equipment then this type of one is good.
Pressure molded seats aren’t quite as comfortable as gel seats but they offer cushioning at a very affordable price. They can take some a while to ‘break-in’ so if you’ve just purchased one but still finish kayaking with a sore backside, stick with it a little longer.
The other good thing about pressure molded foam is the rigidity yet flexibility in the back support. Higher backs need a bit more firmness in them and these seats offer that.
Thermo Molded Foam
Very similar to the pressure molded foam the foam of these seats are heated and molded to follow the natural curvature of the back and body. This is good for those suffering from back pain as they offer support in the places you need it.
Seat Fabric Types
So now that we have covered the inner foam materials lets take a look at the fabric covering the seat. There are a few different types of fabric options and they should be considered with the area, climate & temperature you plan to use the seat in. For example, if you are paddling in a bathing suit then you want a non-rash inducing material. If you are going to be using the seat in colder climates where you’ll be wearing a wetsuit then this is less important.
There are three main types of materials in kayak seats and they are nylon, polyester and neoprene.
The most popular choice – this material offers great durability for long term use. Nylon is a clear favorite with other marine activities as the fabric is water repellent which further adds to the durability.
As nylon is water repellent this means the seat is quick-drying yet it also means you can’t count on the seat to keep you cool during hot days.
Polyester is ideal for its moisture-wicking capabilities but does not offer the same durability as nylon. It is quite a soft fabric, so it does treat bare skin a lot more nicely than nylon. The moisture-wicking properties means you will be dry and the seat will dry quickly but like the nylon it means you can’t count on it to keep you cool during the hot days.
This is the type of fabric used in wetsuits, it is very comfortable and will absorb some water into it. Neoprene is very durable and will offer a long lifespan, the only issue is if it is ripped then you’ll want to get that fixed straight away before the tear develops further.
Using a Kayak Seat
The most important thing is to check that the seat is going to be compatible with the kayak, some kayaks do not offer an area where you can clip in the seat so be sure to check this out. Most of the models included in this review are suitable for sit on top kayaks. Most sit on top kayaks offer the space and clips for a seat to be added on.
After using the kayak seat many people choose to just leave it attached to their kayak. I highly recommend giving it a thorough wash, especially where the clips are as they can and will get jammed. Especially if you use it in salt water. They tend to fold over themselves and take up very little room, easy to store and very easy to transport.
Size of the Seat
If the seat is only going to be used by yourself or one person in particular then finding the measurements and getting a specific seat is recommended. If multiple people plan on using the kayak and seat then a universal seat is recommended.
Consider how high a normal chair comes up your back and where you like support. If you have lower back pain then a lumbar support would be ideal. Check out the post we shared about back braces if you need support in this area!
If you are in a bit of pain with your back or hips then opt for a seat with a lot of cushioning, don’t compromise as you will likely aggravate the issue and put an end to your kayaking adventures.
For the taller folk reading this post, try to find a high back, around 12-18″ above the seat, however if you are short then 12″ would be plenty.
If you are on the heavier side then a pressure molded foam seat will be ideal as it takes a while to ‘squash’ the foam of these seats.
There are seats for a range of budgets and they do reflect what you are getting. For the occasional or recreational paddler who just wants a little bit of cushioning a cheaper model is fine. If you are into longer trips then do yourself a favor and invest in a quality seat! Your body will thank you.
More expensive seats tend to offer better durability and longevity meaning you’ll be paying a fair bit upfront but likely won’t be replacing the seat anytime soon. The thicker padding is also going to be more expensive but honestly, you can’t afford to skimp on the padding!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How to Attach a Kayak Seat
This is actually a pretty simple and intuitive process and most seats include the how to install instructions. This changes from kayak to kayak but they should all have multiple clip areas where you can attach a seat.
There will be straps at the top and bottom which secures the kayak in place. The top two clip behind you and the bottom two out to the side.
The trickier part is the adjusting process, although you can always adjust the seat as you paddle if you find it isn’t working for you.
Q. How Do I Stop my Kayak Seat from Sliding?
This definitely comes back to the installation process. If you secure the clips and straps in place and they are loose and floppy then you need to tighten them until they are taught. This will keep the seat in place and prevent any sliding action.
If you have done this but can’t seem to stop the sliding then I would recommend trying to find something that you can slide under the seat. Something like a rubber suction devices that you may see in a bathtub for grip.
Q. How to Remove a Kayak Seat
This should be a very simple unclip the latches and go. If your kayak has a fixed seat then contact the manufacturer before you go pulling on it – you don’t want to destroy it!
Q. How to Adjust a Kayak Seat
The straps should all have plastic style buckles on them which you can adjust. In the same way, you can adjust the straps of a backpack or bag. If the straps become stuck, bunch it together so it seems loose around the buckle – this should help.
Q. Will a Seat Really Make a Difference?
Short answer. Yes. Long answer. Yes. If you have ever kayaked for long periods of time without a seat, chances are you behind and tail bottom ached for a few days following! Seats are designed for comfort and paddling and I can assure you a kayak seat will make all the difference in the world!
The difference between a pleasant and a bad day out on your kayak can be as simple as having the right kayak seat. There are many things to consider when choosing the right one for your needs including the cushioning, material and fit for your kayak! By finding the best kayak seat your time spent kayaking will be significantly enhanced! All of the ones included in this article are high quality so take a read through the reviews and our guide before making your decision.
Best Kayak Seat
To further enhance your time on the water we highly recommend buying the best kayak seat! Most kayaks include a seat with the purchase but if not you will definitely need to buy one. There are many on the market so read through our detailed reviews before making your decision.
- Ocean Kayak Comfort Plus Seat Back
- Ocean Kayak Comfort Tech Seat for a sit-on-top Kayak
- YakPads High-Back Gel Paddle Saddle
- GTS Expedition Molded Foam Kayak Seat
- Skwoosh High Back Kayak Seat
- Sportsman Supply Inc
- Leader Accessories Deluxe Kayak Seat
- Vibe Kayaks Deluxe Padded Kayak Seat
- Surf To Summit GTS Sport Sit-On-Top Kayak Seat
- Yak-Gear Manta Ray Seat
- Surf To Summit Outfitter Series
- iGuerburn Adjustable Padded Kayak Boat Seat
- Welugnal Kayak Backrest Boating Seat
- Standard Sit-On-Top Seat Fully adjustable Kayak Padded seat
- Pelican Boats - Sit-on-top Kayak or SUP Seat
- Expedition Kayak Seat with High Back Support
- KERCO Angler-x Adjustable Sit on Top Kayak Seat