It happens all the time. You get on a step stool or stand near a wall with hammer and nails. Then you hang a photo and step back to look at your masterpiece. And it’s crooked. While there are plentiful opportunities to find the best laser level for hanging pictures, it’s so easy to believe you don’t need one.
Again, that’s until you scowl at that crooked picture and house guests come over to remind you that your photo frames are crooked too. How hard could leveling pictures without a laser level be? Maybe it’s more difficult than you thought.
The good news is that there’s always lightweight spackling to cover up small holes. But at some point, it may just be easier to improve the picture hanging level with a laser picture hanger. Your neighbors will probably appreciate not hearing the excessive banging too. Check out these eight potential options below to find creative ways to hang your paintings and photo frames.
Best Laser Level for Hanging Pictures
Qooltek Laser Level Line Laser Measure
- MULTIFUNCTION LASER LEVEL : Leveler, laser beam and measuring tape 3 in 1, designed for any situation where a straight line or measurements are needed. Such as home-renovation project, hanging pictures,level the nails ✏.
- WITH RETRACTABLE METAL TRIPOD : Combined with a tripod allows laser level to stand on the floor and the laser can easily project to the ceiling.Tripod with retractable legs, easy to adjustable.
- 3-PRONGED APPROACH : The Qooltek Laser Level with one level, one plumb,and one 45° bubble for determining horizontal and vertical plane. To provide more accurate results.
- 8-Foot Measuring Tape : Comes loaded with an 8-foot measure that includes imperial and metric linear measures, with graduations down to 1/32" and 1mm. (Ideal for Father's Day Gift - June 20th!)
- Package Content : 1 x Laser level; 1 x Metal tripod: 1 x Steel ruler;1 x Screwdriver ; 3 x AG 13 backup batteries.
While the Qooltek laser level is not ideal for intermediate to advanced jobs, it is suitable for basic jobs for hanging frames. This three-in-one leveler, laser beam and measuring tape may be all you need for the price it costs.
- Tripod (retractable legs)
- Laser (projects to ceiling)
- Laser control switch
This laser level easily connects to an adjustable tripod that stands on the floor. The three-pronged laser level has the ability to point to its intended target horizontally, vertically and at 45 degrees with accurate results. Use the eight-foot measuring tape for additional needed measurements.
- May need an extra tool to adjust mode lighting
- Must rely on a tripod for crosshair lines
In addition to the metal tripod and the laser level, there’s also a steel ruler, screwdriver and three AG 13 backup batteries for extensive projects. Compact and lightweight, it’s also easy to carry and test out where needed.
SKIL Self-Leveling Red Cross Line Laser
$52.99 in stock
- PROJECTS LINE – The laser level tool projects a bright red horizontal + vertical line onto surfaces up to 50 ft., so you can quickly align/install projects like cabinets, trim, or molding.
- SELF-LEVELING – The laser level automatically levels to cut out any guesswork.
- CONVENIENT CHARGING - The integrated rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery has a convenient micro-USB charging port.
- INTUITIVE INDICATORS – Shows you when your lines aren’t level and how much battery life is left.
- INCLUDES CLAMP – Attach to the top or bottom of the tool for easy, secure placement.
The SKIL laser level helps to take the guesswork out of whether it’s level or not. With intuitive indicators, you’ll know when something is off or needs to be fixed.
- Bright red line projects up to 50 feet
- Automatic self-leveling
- Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery with a micro-USB charging port
- Locking mode for laser
With an included clamp attached to the top or bottom of the laser level, clip to a secure place (ex. ladder) and get to work hammering.
This quality laser level can also use the (previously mentioned) red/yellow/green indicator to let you know when the batteries are running low. In addition to photo frames, this laser level can also be used to line up and hang molding, trim and cabinets.
- Leveling on a tripod requires tripod has minimal disturbances (no rocky surfaces)
- Best when used in smaller rooms to avoid light dimming
You may find that the tripod is unnecessary if used on a flat surface already. This is entirely dependent on what supplies and surfaces are nearby on a house-to-house basis and for each project. Be familiar with potential places to balance the laser level before purchasing this product.
LSR2 Dual Laser Measuring Device
- Bi-Directional Lasers
Say goodbye to the days of climbing on furniture or laying on the floor to get measurements for blinds, furniture, ceilings and more. This dual laser measuring device comes in as handy for lining up pictures as it does measuring the entire room.
- Long-range electronic tape measure
- Dual-direction laser meter
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery (3.7V 850mAH)
- Micro-USB charging cable
With the laser-measuring device on this handheld product, you can see just how much space you have in large rooms (up to 300 feet). With bidirectional lasers (point in opposite directions), this device makes it easier to find the center area of a wall or any room.
So not only is it easier to figure out dimensions but also where exactly you should mount pictures above furniture or on your walls. The shock-mounted casing is built for durability and to avoid internal damage. However, when not in use, just hang onto it in its nylon measuring tape holder/holster.
- Must make sure it is clear of excess dust and smudges for optimal use
This dual laser measuring device will come in as handy for carpenters, painters, interior designers, and real estate agents as it does for homeowners or homebuyers. Get familiar with the measurements of a home, warehouse or tall-ceiling condo unit on your own instead of having to wait for someone else to hold the end of a measuring tape or help balance a laser to hang your photo frames.
BLACK+DECKER BDL170 Bullseye Auto-Leveling Laser With AnglePro
$28.76 in stock
- Laser level tool levels automatically for precise results
- Self leveling laser level projects horizontally or vertically for a variety of projects
- AnglePro pro of construction laser provides automatic reference for angled lines
- Wall mount and attachments included for hands-free convenience
This auto-leveling laser will help you hang photos as far as 10 feet, with horizontal and vertical laser lining options.
- Automatically self-levels without adjustment
- Horizontal and/or vertical laser line
- Rubber overmold
The integrated backlight illuminates various angles, and the bullseye auto-leveling laser comes in handy to make sure lines are straight. (No extra adjustments are needed for the auto-leveling option to work.)
Just use the spike in the back of the device to hang it in place against a wall, or hold it in place, to start the alignment process. If using the laser on staircases or near other hard surfaces, the rubber overmold also protects the laser case of accidental drops. Two AAA batteries and a wall mount are also included.
- Cannot project a horizontal line from two sides
The class II laser also has a two-year limited warranty, giving you time to test out your inner interior designer for enough time to know if this is the laser level for you.
Johnson Level and Tool 9250 Laser Line Level
$19.97 in stock
3 used from $17.57
- Adheres to any surface for hands-free use
- Supersticktm adhesive system is reusable, sticks to any surface and leaves no marks or holes
- Projects a laser line up to 30 ft
- Class II laser with a power output of ≤1mw
With no holes or marks left behind, the Johnson laser level mouse is advertised to be able to stick to any surface while helping you line up your photo frames vertically or horizontally.
- Hands-free use
- SuperstickTM adhesive sticks to any surface
- Laser line stretches up to 30 feet
In addition to the laser, SuperStick adhesive strip, two AA batteries, and instruction manual, there’s also a carrying pouch to keep it safe and protected when not in use.
When you’re ready to use, just attach the reusable adhesive strip to a level surface in an area that you want the line to project, aim and start your house decorating planning. Use the on and off switch to aim the laser beam as needed. When you’re done, lightly pull the unit and the strip off the wall.
- Additional adjustments may need to be made to confirm laser level is straight
- Mixed reviews on whether the adhesive sticks to various paint
- A couple of reviews confirm paint came off from adhesive stick
Johnson brand products are no newbies to the home decoration and carpentry scene. With 70 years in the business, their products have been trusted by worldwide professionals.
BLACK+DECKER BDL220S Laser Level
$14.52 in stock
6 used from $12.78
- Laser level tool comes with two bubble vials with backlights for visibility
- Self leveling laser level features 360-degree rotating wall attachment projects laser line at any angle
- Construction laser can be used to hang pictures, mirrors and shelves or install curtain rods
- This is a Class 3R laser product, Power output ≤ 5mW
- 360-degree rotating wall attachment projects a laser line at any angle
If you’re pondering on installing a new current rod or hanging mirror, or decorating your stairwell with photo frames, this may be the best laser level for all of the above.
- Backlight for increased visibility
- 360-degree rotating wall attachment
- Two XL backlit bubble vials for maximum accuracy
The two-bubble vial has a backlight to make the line easier to see, as well as 360-degree rotating wall attachments to see a laser line horizontally, vertically or diagonally. With two AA batteries (included), this laser level can aim a maximum of 10 feet.
Because there is a nail in the bottom of the laser level, the best way to make use of it without adding additional holes is to use this initial nail for the first hole. After the first nail has been hammered in, aim and continue from there. (You can remove it altogether, but then you lose the initial ability to swivel the laser level around at different angles.)
- Not ideal for outside leveling
- May find nail underneath the laser level unnecessary
- Without nailing in laser level nail, the device is difficult to line up correctly
With a two-year warranty, you’ll have plenty of time to test the Black & Decker Laser Level on various domestic locations.
Huepar Green Laser Level DIY
- ⭐NEW GREEN DIODE TECHNOLOGY - We adopt advanced technology, which is the best green laser unit in the word at present; Green laser is 2 times brighter than red laser with the same light source. When in the cloudy and light intensity is 14000lux environment, but outdoor use is not recommended.
- ⭐COMPACT AND HANDY - With its soft-grip, light weight and PALM-SIZED design, the M-9011G is the most handy and professional laser tool you can think of to carry out work for all trades from drop ceiling installation, lighting fixtures, photo frames aligning and wall tiling down to floor tiling etc. A real dream home improvement tool comes in handy.
- ⭐FINE POSITIONING - Projects a laser cross with an accuracy of 1/9 of an inch at 33 feet and full brightness for optimal visibility; Self-leveling time less than 3 seconds; 1/4 -20 thread mounts allows you to use it with a tripod (not included) and adjust its height easily to make measuring flexible and stable.
- ⭐EASY OPERATION - Simple to use, one switch operation; Simply slide the Pendulum to unlocked position the tool will instantly project a perfectly straight laser cross onto the wall. This sliding switch makes the M-9011G a suitable tool for anyone to use, even those without much previous DIY experience.
- ⭐MANUAL FUNCTION - As well as being self-leveling, the 9011G also has a manual function which means that the cross line locks into position when tilted at an angle to maintain the perfect 90 degree angles. (Ideal for building Festival decorations)
The Huepar palm-sized, lightweight laser level can be used for hanging photo frames, installing drop ceilings or lighting fixtures, and/or aligning wall and floor tiles.
- Green laser two times brighter than the red laser
- Laser cross accuracy of 1/9 of an inch at 33 feet
- Self-leveling in less than three seconds
- Blinks every three to five seconds when not self-leveling
With one switch, you can slide the pendulum lock to make a straight laser cross appear on the wall. (Two AA batteries must be used, which are also included.) The 9011G manual function has a cross-line lock to maintain a 90-degree angle when tilted on an angle.
With green diode technology from Germany, visibility is a maximum of 40 feet. The ¼-20 thread mounts make this device easy to use with a tripod. It’s also flexible and stable enough to make adjustments as needed—with or without a tripod.
- Tripod not included
The Huepar level is also waterproof and dustproof, which may come in handy for outside jobs in rough weather and high temperatures. Additionally, the soft rubber surrounding the laser protects the device from potential drops.
Compact Self-Leveling Cross Line Laser with Clamp
- Projects bright lines; ideal for tile alignment, wall studding, windows, doors, etc.
- Accuracy: 1/4 in. at a range of 30 ft.
- Three laser-line modes: Level, Plumb and Cross-Line
- Self-leveling capability when within 4Degree of level
- Includes easy to adjust clamp for multiple applications
The self-leveling cross line laser is ideal for photo frame alignment, tile alignment, installing windows and doors, and other domestic projects such as these.
- ¼ inch accuracy at a maximum of 30 feet
- Level, plumb and cross-line laser-line modes
- Easy-to-adjust mounting clamp (included)
Self-leveling kicks within four degrees of the level. (The LED indicator will turn red when the device is outside of self-leveling range.)
Bright light lines (with the help of two AA batteries) can aim horizontally, vertically or cross lines on flat surfaces. In its lock mode, the cross line laser can be an alternative for lines that cannot be level or plumb.
- No magnet or magnetic bracket
Because the self-leveling cross-line laser is not meant to be used in bright areas, you may have to get a little creative with the clamp around mirrors, bright windows and anywhere outdoors.
Hopefully one of the laser level suggestions above is right for your home. But before purchasing one of these devices, keep in mind what kinds of needs are suitable for your home. For larger jobs in which you may not want to be as hands-on for measurements, digital lasers may be the way to go. If you know you don’t have the best paint job, to begin with, avoid adhesive strips and any product that may require additional painting.
Laser levels often do better for inside jobs. Make sure the room is as well lit or as dim as needed in order to both be able to see and aim as well as hammer photographs without abusing your thumbs. As with any interior design job, deciding how you want the end goal to look should be planned ahead of time.
You don’t want to get a horizontal or vertical laser level without a 45-degree angle option, and then decide you prefer the step-ladder look later. And if you change your mind along the way, just test out a photo frame or two to avoid unnecessary holes. Remember that Spackling mentioned at the beginning of the post? Keep that handy just in case.
Best Laser Level for Hanging Pictures
Putting unnecessary holes in the wall is just one of the many frustrating things about hanging pictures without a laser level. We have compiled a list of the best brands available.
- Qooltek Laser Level Line Laser Measure
- SKIL Self-Leveling Red Cross Line Laser
- LSR2 Dual Laser Measuring Device
- BLACK+DECKER BDL170 Bullseye Auto-Leveling Laser With AnglePro
- Huepar Green Laser Level DIY
- Compact Self-Leveling Cross Line Laser with Clamp