Lawn mowers are some of the most important machines than any homeowner can have. But they’re important even if you just rent, as maintaining your lawn properly throughout the spring and summer will provide your home with aesthetic value and make it easier to enjoy time outside.
But not all lawn mowers are built alike. Some are definitely superior to others, while many lawn mowers are about as different as they can come despite sharing the same major function. In this guide, we’ll look at the best lawn mowers overall and provide you with a great guide so you can determine how to find the ideal lawn mower for your needs. Let’s get started.
Top-Rated Lawn Mowers
EGO Power+ LM2000-S
- Battery and Charger Not Included
- True 3-In-1 Function: Superior mulching, rear bagging and side discharge performance
- 20" Cut Capacity: Cut more grass in less time
- 600W, High-Torque, Magnetic Motor: Designed for gas like power at 3300RPM
- Folds quickly and easily for compact, upright storage
This Ego lawn mower is a fantastic choice if you need something high-powered but mobile.
- 20-inch blades
- uses 56 V lithium battery
- No cord used
It’s made with weather-resistant materials, so it’ll continue to operate even after lots of wear and tear and it doesn’t need a cord to function. Even better, it includes a 3-in-1 design that allows it to mulch, bag, or side discharge according to your needs.
It can also be folded easily for compact storage. This is partially due to its small wheels and 20-inch cutting capacity, which should be enough for most homeowners and typical lawns. Be advised that the battery and charger are not included by default, so you have to pay a little extra to get everything you need to begin mowing. Once it starts, it barely needs a push to keep rolling.
- Very easy to use on rough terrain
- Very durable
- Can mulch, bag, or side discharge
- Batteries recharge quickly
- A bit expensive as the battery is not included
It’s a great electric lawn mower that provides power and maneuverability when you need it, plus plenty of durability and grass disposal versatility.
3 used from $160.99
- Electric corded mower with a powerful 12 Amp motor (extension cord not included)
- Durable 20-Inch Steel Deck
- 3-In-1 (Mulching, Side Discharge, and Rear Bag)
- 7-position height adjustment offers a range of cutting height from 1-1/2 to 3-3/4 inches for all grass types
- Push button start. Drive system: Manual
This is one of the best cheap lawn mowers and is electric like the last pick, though it’s much lighter in weight and uses a cord rather than portable batteries. This does limit your cutting potential somewhat, but the rest of the mower makes up for this downside. It also has a 3-in-1 mulching, bagging, and side discharging system.
- 20-inch cutting blades
- powered by 12 amp motor
- 10/7 inch rear and front wheels
But it can also be adjusted between seven different height ranges for the cutting blades, allowing you to use this mower for all grass types. It can be folded by the handles for compact storage and is very easy to start with a single button. An additional for your tool warranty can protect your purchase, and you can buy an extra extension cord if you want to push out the range of its cutting power.
- Very easy to use overall
- Can work for any type of grass
- Can be folded by the handle for storage
- Has 3-in-1 grass disposal
- Limited by a relatively short cord
It’s an affordable and easy to use small lawn mower that’s perfect for residences and beginners that don’t need to reach far-away places on their property. It’s the best lawn mower for small yards, by far.
American Lawn Mower Company
$62.42 in stock
- 14" Cutting width, polymer wheels with a 4-blade ball bearing reel, and 8.5" Composite wheels
- Adjustable cutting Height of 0.5"-1.75" For a clean, scissor-like cut every time
- Blades are made of quality, heat-treated alloy steel for staying sharp longer
- Eco-friendly alternative to gas-powered lawn mowers; no oil, low maintenance, easy assembly
- 4-Blade reel offers supreme versatility for multiple Common grass types- Fescue, Bluegrass, Rye, and mixed weed/crab grass
This is one of the few manual lawn mowers you can find on the market these days, with 14-inch blades that can be swapped within adjustable heights of 0.5 inches to 1.75 inches. This allows you to tackle several species of grass without having to use different mowing machines; just raise the blades if you need to cut down tall or grass or lower than if you want to really keep things trim over the long-term.
- Manual mower
- No oil or electricity
- 14-inch blades
Each of the blades is also made with heat-treated alloy steel that allows them to stay sharp for longer and even hit certain rocks without cracking. Ultimately, much of this mower’s value comes from its eco-friendliness as it doesn’t use gas or electricity. It’s still very easy to use with a pair of comfortable handles and 8.5-inch wheels that easily roll over most terrain.
- Can be run anytime and anywhere
- Blades are relatively durable
- Very affordable compared to most other mowers
- Good for the environment
- Very quiet compared to other mowers
- Mows less quickly than other types
- Requires physical exertion
This manual lawn mower will be a favorite for those who aren’t afraid of getting a workout or who want a particularly quiet mowing experience.
4 used from $118.68
- Improved ergonomics: Comfort grip handle makes the lawn mower easy to maneuver
- Better clipping collection: Our winged blade achieves 30 % better clipping collection
- No more pull cords: Push button start makes starting the lawn mower a breeze
- Easy to adjust: 6 height adjustments from 1 inch to 3 inches. Ideal for 1/8 acre. No Mulching Capability
- Better control: Rugged wheel treads designed for control in thick grass
This is an electric motor with 15-inch blades and a special wing to blade design. This allows the cutters to clip about 30% better than the competition. You can also adjust the blade between six height settings between 1 inch and 3 inches.
- Electric, powered by 10 amp motor
- 15-inch cutting blades
- 2 styles of handles available
The mower uses rugged wheels with excellent treads that allow you to maintain control even in thick grass. This is also great if you need to mow the lawn after it rained the night before and made the grass all slippery.
It’s a corded mower that uses a simple push button start to get things going. The handles are ergonomic and comfortable, and you can choose between regular bike-style handles or a pivoting handle that affords you even better control. The mower uses a bagging system to collect grass trimmings, which can be easily detached and replaced with one hand.
- Very affordable
- Easy to maneuver in tough grass
- Cord length is decent
- Blades are very effective
- Fairly loud compared to other electric models
This is another great electric mower that’s a good choice for wider lawns or lawns with particularly scrubby and tough grass that grows every year.
Sun Joe MJ403E
$137.36 in stock
- POWERFUL: 13-amp motor cuts a 17-inch wide path
- HEIGHT CONTROL: Tailor cutting Height with 7-position Height control
- CONVERTIBLE: Mulching + mowing function. Size of Yard - 1/4 - 1/2 Acre. No Load Speed (rpm)- 3500
- GRASS COLLECTOR: Detachable grass collection bag for easy disposal
- WE’VE GOT YOU COVERED!: Your new lawn mower is backed by the Snow Joe + Sun Joe Customer Promise. We will warrant new, powered products for two years from the date of purchase. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Contact Snow Joe + Sun Joe customer support at 1-866-766-9563 for further assistance.
This electric mower features a convertibility that makes it stand out from the competition. By default, it uses a detachable grass collection bag for easy disposal. But it also has a mulching mode you can engage whenever you want to restore nitrogen-rich grass clippings to your lawn for better health. This is all controlled from the handles, meaning you don’t need to kneel or fiddle with any controls near the blades or motor to change things up.
- 17-inch cutting blades
- 13 amp motor
The blades are 17 inches across to mow wide lawns relatively quickly. There are seven height positions you can control with buttons on the handles. All customers will also appreciate the two-year warranty that covers the lawn mower and any parts that may be needed for repair. However, it doesn’t cover any damage from catastrophe: just regular wear and tear from normal operation.
- Can mulch if you desire
- Lots of cutting ability
- Great warranty included with purchase
- Also has grass collection bag
- Casing isn’t that durable
- Wheels don’t have the best traction
All in all, this electric lawn mower is a good choice if you have a big yard that needs lots of clipping and plenty of power to spare; use the mulching feature for better results.
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, and may arrive in a generic box
This Ryobi electric mower is a great choice if you need to take your machine with you to multiple lawns throughout the day.
- 0Ah battery
- rechargeable electric
- 17-inch cutting blades
It features a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that is powerful enough to get most jobs done and benefit the 17-inch cutting blades at the bottom of the chassis. The mower is made in the USA, providing it with great durability and long-lasting performance. It also means you should be able to find replacement parts, like the bag if the original rips, in the United States as well.
The wheels are made with big treads to afford superior maneuverability even in muddy conditions. It uses a grass collection bag to get rid of trimmings and it’s not too loud compared to most gas mowers. We also really like that the battery and charger needed are included with the purchase, driving the asking price down.
- Very durable overall
- Has good wheels for trudging through grass
- Great cutting capability
- Sound isn’t too loud
- Limited to one battery’s life at a time
This electric mower is a good portable pick and includes enough cutting power to get most jobs done without too much trouble.
- Toro Recycler 22 in. High and Front Wheel Drive Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Lawn Mower with Kohler Engine
This Toro lawn mower makes chopping down even thicker grass relatively easy thanks to its self-propelling design. Just set the lawn mower to go and let it pull you along as you cut down all the grass in your yard.
- 22-inch blades
It makes mowing your lawn a lot easier in hot summer weather when you don’t have to strain yourself. The 22-inch blades should make short work out of even larger grass swaths, and the expansive bag at the back will let you collect most of the grass clippings before needing to empty it.
This self-mowing lawn mower also features excellent wheels that are well-suited for traction even in slippery environments. The gas power does make quite a racket, but it also prevents the motor from sputtering out or jamming too easily. Variable speed settings allow you to go faster or slower depending on how much control you like.
- Speed can be easily controlled
- Great for muddy or slippery environments
- Has very high cutting ability/power
- Pretty loud compared to other mowers
- Handles aren’t very comfortable
This Toro push lawn mower is a great example of this type of machine, featuring excellent cutting ability and great speed in exchange for a louder racket.
- Kobalt 80-volt cordless mower offers up to 80 minutes runtime on a fully charged 5.0 Ah battery. Sturdy 21-in steel deck ensures toughness and tenacity for the life of the mower
- Auto-sensing technology automatically adjusts motor performance for greater power or runtime based on changing grass conditions from area to area
- Single-lever height adjustment lets you conveniently choose from 7 separate height adjustments
- On-board indicator helps you monitor remaining battery charge; collapsible handle for convenient vertical storage
- Brushless motor delivers more power and torque to help cut through the thickest grass. 5.0 Ah battery and charger included
This cordless mower has a motor with a detachable 5.0Ah battery. The battery is powerful enough to run for up to 80 minutes before needing to be recharged, which works well with the wide, 21 inch blades. Even better, the mower has a single lever height adjustment tool to let you pick between seven separate height levels.
- 80 V motor
- 21-inch blades
An automatic sensor within the mower adjusts the performance for more power or longer runtime depending on how thick the grass is in your current area. An onboard indicator near the handles will also let you keep an eye on how much battery charge you have left so you don’t run out at an inconvenient moment. The handle can be collapsed so you can store the mower vertically if needed.
- Includes an automatic sensor for better performance
- Always tells you how much battery charge is remaining
- Good battery life overall
- Relatively durable steel deck
- In high power mode, battery doesn’t last long at all
- Very expensive compared to most mowers
This Kobalt electric mower does a great job of providing excellent utility and information to the user, which offsets some of the weaknesses from this mower type. It’s the best battery-powered lawn mower on our list.
- Your purchase includes One Craftsman M105 140cc Gas powered Push Lawn Mower, One bagger and engine oil
- Lawn Mower width – 21” | Weight – 65 lbs. | Minimum Cutting Height – 1.25” | Maximum Cutting Height – 3.75” | Front wheel size – 7” | Rear wheel size – 8” | Engine – 140cc Briggs and Stratton
- 3 in 1 Capabilities: Unit has side discharge, rear discharge, and mulching
- Minor assembly is required but is easily accomplished with little to no mechanical experience
- Engine comes equipped with recoil and auto choke. No more fussing with a primer or choke - just pull to start. Unit is gas-powered and not self-propelled. Product folds for storage
This is a gas-powered motor with 3-in-1 grass disposal options ranging from side or rear discharge for mulching, plus an additional disposal bag located at the back. This lets you choose how to get rid of grass depending on your preferences.
- 21-inch blades
- 140cc engine
The motor is another solid point; the engine is equipped with auto choke and recoil innovations so it’s easy to start without needing to worry about a primer.
The mower is also great because of its excellent blades and the six height settings you can choose between. The 7/8 inch wheels at the front or back are treaded for better maneuvering in slippery conditions or wet grass. The handles are very thin and can become uncomfortable as the mower vibrates for many minutes, so you may want to wear gloves when operating this machine.
- Very easy to use or start
- Has multiple grass disposal options
- Wheels are durable and well-suited for tallgrass
- Relatively loud
- Handles aren’t very comfortable
This Craftsman push mower provides good performance for typical lawns or for larger, tougher grass that needs a bit more juice to cut down effectively.
This is a phenomenal electric lawn mower through and through. Not only does the auto choke system prevent your mower from sputtering out but it also has a rechargeable battery that can hold enough power for an entire season consistently.
- Uses rechargeable battery
- 18 Inch blades
- Rear-wheel drive
Additional features include a cruise control and an easy ignite speed control with levels between zero and 4 miles per hour. These are all controlled from the main handles and can be swapped between as many times as you like.
We also really like the blade brake clutch system, that stops or starts the blades on the engine is running. Speaking of blades, this mower benefits from four cutting surfaces, allowing it to easily cut grass of various species. The mower is built with impact-resistant Nexite that won’t dent easily or rust. Finally, the handles can be folded in three positions for easy storage.
- Has automatic choke
- Has blade stop system for safety
- Battery can be recharged and lasts for a long time
- Variable speed settings
- A bit louder than most other electric mowers
This Honda lawn mower is durable and long-lasting and is designed for heavy-duty chopping work and safety in equal measure.
Types of Lawn Mowers
There are multiple types of lawn mowers you will be able to choose between.
The first major categorical difference is between riding lawn mowers and walk-behind mowers. As the name suggests, riding mowers have you ride in a seat on the top of the machine as you mow the grass. They are also sometimes called a “lawn tractor”.
These mowers are usually gasoline-powered because of the extra energy needed to move both you and the heavier lawn mowing machinery; they’re also usually larger than the a walk behind mower. Walk-behind mowers use your physical strength with a smaller motor to move across a yard or lawn.
Walk-behind mowers come with several different types of drive, which can help you push them across rough terrain. Front-wheel-drive mowers are excellent for getting over obstacles while rear-wheel drive mowers are great for uphill or sidehill mowing. All-wheel-drive mowers are more expensive but can tackle almost any type of terrain.
Some of the best push mowers are even self-propelled lawn mowers, meaning they don’t usually need any assistance to crawl over a lawn. These are easier to use but need to be watched carefully, as stopping them may take another couple of seconds.
The next mower category deals with how they dispose of grass. A lawn mower with a bag collects grass shavings to be disposed of later. Mulching mowers are healthier for the lawn overall as they replenish the nitrogen-rich grass into the ground. Side discharging mowers spit grass shavings out to the side and may be used in conjunction with a mulching system for maximum benefit.
You can also potentially get a reel lawn mower. These don’t use any engine and use physical pushing power from yourself to clip grass. These are very quiet and environmentally friendly, and you’ll stay physically active all while taking care of your lawn.
Another odd type of mower is the hover mower. These perform slightly differently from regular wheeled lawn mowers and can move side to side in addition to front and back. This makes them a great choice if you have an oddly shaped yard or grass spots that may need a little creative maneuvering to reach effectively.
Electric vs Gas Lawn Mowers
Of course, you can also choose between electric or gas lawn mowers. Both types have advantages and disadvantages.
The best electric lawn mowers are usually smaller and less powerful, but they are better for the environment and don’t smell nearly as bad. They’re also very easy to start provided you remember to recharge their batteries after every use. They’re typically purchasable for cheaper asking prices, especially in the long run as you won’t need to constantly purchase new gas to keep them running.
Gas lawn mowers are more powerful and are better suited for chopping down tall or grass and wild brush. They’re louder and not as healthy for the environment but are best if you need to get a lot of lawn mowing done in difficult terrain. They’re also helpful because you aren’t tied to an electrical socket or a battery like with an electric mower. So long as you have gas, you can bring this mower anywhere in your truck and take care of business.
So which is better? It really depends on your needs. Go with an electric mower if your lawn is smaller and you aren’t too concerned about being tied to a cord. Go with a gas mower if you need more power or need to mow for several hours on end without being tethered to your house.
Top-Rated Lawn Mowers
It’s always a good idea to pick out top-rated lawn mowers overall. Ratings give you an idea of what people really think about certain mower machines. Real-world experience is a far better indicator of actual quality than any advertisement. Electric lawn mower reviews can tell you how a battery really works, for instance.
The Ego Power+ LM2000-S 20-Inch Lawn Mower is a great example of the mower that has fantastic user ratings and lots of confidence. The Craftsman M105 Gas Powered Lawn Mower is another safe bet, particularly because it’s from a generally trusted brand.
In fact, paying attention to brand is a smart idea. Many top-tier brands only become that way for many successful years or decades of service and manufacturing. Thus, it’s almost always better to pick from a reliable brand and take a risk on a mower from a brand that has a bad reputation.
Lawn Mower Brands to Avoid
While the actual performance of any lawn mower will vary, there are a few brands to keep away from if you can afford to. Those brands are:
- Troy Bilt
- Some Craftsmen, depending on the year of manufacture
Best Time to Buy a Lawn Mower
The best time to buy a lawn mower is usually September or so. This is when the demand for new lawn mowers will go down and when suppliers will lower their prices in order to offset any surplus lawn mowers and have ordered for the prior summer season.
When Do Lawn Mowers Go On Sale?
Because lawn mowers are seasonal machines and are mostly used in the spring and summer months, their demand goes sharply down as soon as fall kicks in. Therefore, starting in August or September after summer weather subsides, you can expect lawn mower prices to drop accordingly. This will be true for every outlet and there may be price variations for a few weeks, but by October of the latest lawn mowers should be at their cheapest prices.
Winter usually sees lawn mower prices rise again as people purchase the machines in anticipation of the spring growing throughout their lawns.
Lawn Mower Storage and Maintenance
Keeping your lawn mower stored correctly and properly maintained will end up saving you money in the long run. Well-maintained lawn mowers will last much longer and will continue to trim your lawn for years on end, meaning you want me to purchase a new one every spring season.
When you want to store or “winterize” your lawn mower, there are a few things you should do. First off, make sure to remove the battery. This lets you store the battery in a cool and dry place where it won’t suffer damage from moisture or from heating implements. Next, be sure to clean your lawn mower thoroughly. This involves washing down the outside and/or interior. Make sure to spray the underbody of the mower to clear away any debris and prevent it from rotting over the winter months.
Next, be sure to add some stabilizing fuel if you use a gas lawn mower. Regular gas will start to degrade in about a month which can cause the fuel system to clog and make it difficult to start the mower next spring season. Using a fuel stabilizer will let you start the mower quickly and easily in a few months. Make sure your fuel tank is full, as it’ll stop moisture from condensing within the tank and forming rust that might break away and clog your carburetor.
When it comes time to store your lawn mower, store it in a similar space as you with the battery: someplace cool and dry. Garden sheds or garages are great ideas so long as you don’t place the mower next to a furnace or another appliance with a pilot light. Keep it away from your water heater, as well.
It may be a good idea to place a tarp or some other hover over the lawn mower to protect its exterior.
Best Oil for Lawn Mower
The best type of oil for your lawn mower depends on the mower use. Most mowers need their oil replaced after every 20 to 50 hours of running, so it may happen only a few times a year or multiple. Make sure to check your oil every time you use the mower after you go over the 20-hour mark to know when it’s time to change.
Regular motor oil is fine if your lawn mower has a four-cycle or four-stroke motor. These are usually found in larger or riding lawn mowers, particularly gas-powered ones. On the other hand, small engine oil is better for two-cycle or two-stroke motors. This is ideal for smaller lawn mowers overall, though they’re also found with particularly powerful push motors that continue running even over rough or hilly terrain.
Lawn Mower Battery Care
Caring for your lawn mower battery will help you get the most out of whatever mower you choose. Most lawn mower batteries last for about three years, although you can stretch this lifespan out with the following tips.
For starters, most lawn mower batteries are flooded lead-acid types. This means that they should be plugged into a maintenance charger to keep a regular charge cycle going to prevent them from crystallizing over time. Next, make sure that you clean your battery every once in a while to prevent corrosion from building up.
You may occasionally need to check your battery and make sure that the water inside is at the proper level. If you do need to refill the water of your battery, use distilled water. Also double-check that terminal connections are tight; loose connections can lead to lower charge rates and corrosion.
Ultimately, the best lawn mower for your needs will depend on the size of your yard, whether you prefer gas or electric mowers (or some other type), and how big of blades you need for efficiency. You should always try to determine which mower will work within your budget and provide you with the best results rather than going for the most expensive option.
Hopefully one of the above options works for you. If not, the team at Ram Research have compiled detailed reviews of the following lawn mowers:
And for general garden & lawn care:
Whether you need a gas, electric, robot or riding mower we have you covered!
EGO Power+ LM2000-S
American Lawn Mower Company
Sun Joe MJ403E