Regular oil filter and oil changes are important for maintaining a smooth running engine. To get the most out of your car be sure to service it regularly.
Things like oil changes and oil filter changes can be easily done by yourself. The following post will cover the best oil filters on the market as well as key features of each.
When to Buy a New Oil Filter?
If you notice your car is a bit sluggish or not as responsive as it should be then try changing your oil filter.
If you can, purchase a premium fully synthetic motor oil to go with the filter.
The better the oil the less frequently you’ll have to change the filter.
Generally you can get anywhere from 7,000 to 25,000 miles before the oil filter needs changing.
Best Oil Filters on the Market
Royal Purple 341777 341777 Extended Life Oil Filter
- Thicker shell for extra strength
- Metal end-caps provide positive seal for filter element assembly
- Center tube prevents filter element collapse
- 100 per cent screen-back synthetic media provides superior filtration
- Heavy gauge steel back plate for higher burst strength
The Royal Purple 341777 Extended Life Oil Filter is arguable the best synthetic oil filter on the market. The shell of this oil filter is thicker for added strength.
The metal end-caps provide a good seal and the centre tube prevents filter collapse. It also features a heavy gauge steel back plate for additional strength.
The gasket is manufactured from premium nitrile rubber with a special lubricity compound which works to reduce torque while installing and removing.
Royal Purple 341777 Extended Life Oil Filter features a 100% synthetic micro-glass media you can rest assured knowing this is the best filtration you can get.
Lastly, the anti-drain back valve is made from silicon and works to prevent dry starts by eliminating oil drain back.
The silicon is the best material for this job withstanding both extreme cold and hot oil.
- Fully synthetic
- Efficient filtration
- Strong design and build
- On the more expensive side
Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Performance Oil Filter
- Provides long-life performance for today's longer drain intervals
- Effectively removes contaminants, with a 99.6 percentage Multi-Pass Efficiency Rating and an advanced synthetic fiber blend media
- Holds double the contaminants compared to other filters, with 28.0 grams of total capacity
- Withstands nine times normal system operating pressure, for exceptional protection up to 615 pascals per square inch
- Prevents dry starts by eliminating internal leakage during shutdown through the use of a silicone anti-drain back valve (where required by OEM)
The Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Performance Oil Filter is another great choice in synthetic oil filters. If you use Mobil M1 oil then I recommend using the same filter.
This filter has a 28 gram total capacity and can withstand 9 times the normal system operating pressure.
This filter is made for high performance engines so it comes as no surprise that the filter performs exceptionally well under high pressures.
Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Performance Oil Filter also prevents dry starts through the use of a silicone anti-drain back valve.
Mobil are huge in the automotive industry and their range of oil filters covers 97% of vehicles so it’s a matter of finding the right fit for you car.
- High performance oil filter
- 28 gram capacity
- Synthetic media
- Huge range of filters for almost every car out there
- Media is not reinforced
Bosch 3330 Premium FILTECH Oil Filter
- Exclusive FILTECH media technology screens out more harmful contaminants for greater engine protection
- Strong steel base plates and housings prevent warpage, leaks and poor fit
- Silicone anti-drain back valve ensures a supply of clean oil when the car is started
- High lubricity gasket design provides a tight seal, yet easy removal
- Double-locked rolled seam forms a leak free canister
The Bosch 3330 Premium FILTECH Oil Filter is one of the best selling filters. This is likely due to the inexpensive price yet quality oil filter.
Bosch use Filtech media which is a blend. This isn’t as high performing as a full synthetic oil filter yet still really effective.
The Bosch 3330 Premium FILTECH Oil Filter has an increased surface area which ensures its filtration is still efficient and comparable with full synthetic filters.
With a 14gram capacity this is half the capacity of the Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Performance Oil Filter but then again this is for the everyday car as opposed to high performance vehicles.
The Bosch 3330 Premium FILTECH Oil Filter has strong steel base plates and housing which prevents warpage and leaks.
- Low price
- Durable design
- Blended media
FRAM PH7317 Extra Guard Passenger Car Spin-On Oil Filter
- Proven protection for up to 5,000 miles
- Engineered for use with conventional oil
- Ideal balance of dirt-trapping efficiency and dirt-holding capacity
- Designed for everyday drivers who perform frequent maintenance on their vehicles
- 95% dirt-trapping efficiency
The FRAM PH7317 Extra Guard Passenger Car Spin-On Oil Filter is one of the cheapest oil filters to make the list.
Proven to work for up to 5,000 miles this oil filter is engineering for use with a conventional oil. This filter has a 95% efficiency.
If you don’t use your car too frequently then the FRAM PH7317 Extra Guard Passenger Car Spin-On Oil Filter is a good option.
Works effectively without the high price tag from a reputable brand.
- Blend media
- 95% efficiency for filtration
- Limited milage
WIX Filters - 51348 Spin-On Lube Filter, Pack of 1
1 used from $ 20.00
- Includes gasket, mounting plate, center tube and inner element tube
- Increased dirt-holding capacity
- High particle size retention
- Low oil flow restriction
- Highly durable and reliable
WIX Filters – 51348 Spin-On Lube Filter is highly recommended for vehicles who have long idle times and lots of highway driving. For this reason it is a favorite with a lot of trucks.
Wix make filters to accommodate a wide range of cars so there is something that will fit. It is a bit of a unique shape so installing can be problematic for some.
The filter includes the gasket, mounting plate, centre tube and inner tube. It hs a high particle size retention with a low oil flow restriction.
The media is synthetic and premium quality, with 99% efficiency. The WIX Filters – 51348 Spin-On Lube Filter also has a wired back for extra strength and durability.
- Durable and reliable
- 99% efficient
- Synthetic media
- Different shape can cause installation difficulties
Purolator PL14610 PurolatorONE Oil Filter
- Up to 10,000 miles; 99% Dirt Removal Power
- High-density synthetic blend media
- Silicone anti-drainback valve that lasts longer than traditional nitrile to protect against dry starts and oil leaks
- Metal end caps provide stability and integrity for greater wear resistance
- Long-lasting, PTFE coated gasket for easy installation and removal
The Purolator PL14610 PurolatorONE Oil Filter is designed with a high density synthetic blend media. The oil filter has a 99% dirt removal efficiency.
Built for up to 10,000miles (when used with synthetic oil) this filter is strong and durable with a long-lasting PTFE coated gasket and metal end caps for stability.
Maximum oil flow rate will be compromised slightly due to the high density of the media. This is only an issue if you have a high performance vehicle so for most cars this will work fine.
Suited to a wide range of driving conditions including towing, stop and go traffic, commuting and harsh weather conditions.
The Purolator PL14610 PurolatorONE Oil Filter offers advanced engine protection.
- Quality synthetic blend keeps the price down
- 99% efficiency
- Durable and sturdy oil filter
- Reputable brand
- Not suited to higher performance vehicles
ACDelco PF2232 Professional Engine Oil Filter
- Equipped with 98% multi-pass filtering efficiency at 25-30 microns for excellent filtering capabilities
- Has a cellulose media that traps particles 1/3 the width of human hair to help ensure a clean supply of oil to engine components
- Has a thermosetting adhesive seal to hold filtering media in place for consistent, dependable filtration
- Equipped with superior filter capacity, enhanced efficiency, consistent flow management, and a high durability design to provide exceptional filtering performance
- Has a burst-strength five times greater than most engine oil operating pressures after the oil reaches operating temperatures (as long as the normal engine oil operating pressure is not greater than 51psi), for enhanced durability
The ACDelco PF2232 Professional Engine Oil Filter is a quality build oil filter made with cellulose media.
Cellulose isn’t a preferred media for the oil filters but it is a lot cheaper. It has a 98% filtration efficiency which is actually really impressive.
Featuring a thermosetting adhesive seal which works to hold the filtering media in place making it very reliable.
The strength of the ACDelco PF2232 Professional Engine Oil Filter is good, it has a high burst strength and can withstand hot and cold engine oil well.
- Reliable and sturdy
- Well built
- Cellulose media not as good as synthetic or blend
- Better filters for around the same price
[content-egg module=Amazon template=item next=1
The Baldwin BT223 Heavy Duty Lube Spin-On Filter is the last filter to make the list. This filter is designed for heavy vehicles and is a popular choice with trucks.
With a robust spring loaded metal bypass valve the oil is still able to pass through the filter even if it is at capacity.
The efficiency of this filter is quite low at 85% which is why it is the bottom of the list from me. Still a good consideration if you tend to forgot to change your filter or maintain your car.
- Highly durable and reliable
- Oil still passes through when filter is at capacity
- Low efficiency
Oil Filter Media
There are 3 types of media to choose from, this is the material inside the filter that does the actual filtering. The material, the surface area and the amount of pleats work together to make the filter efficient.
Synthetic media can be made from nylon, glass or polyester and is said to be capable of trapping smaller contaminants over a longer period of time.
Which does result in more miles. Some synthetic filters also has longer bodies and therefore more capacity.
The additional benefits of synthetic oil filters does increase the price.
Cellulose is a plant based fiber which is cheaper than synthetic but you do lose a lot of the efficient features. They can, however, be manufactured to a high filtration efficiency.
As the name suggests this oil filter is a blend of synthetic and cellulose fibers bringing the price down without compromising too much on quality.
Choosing the Right Oil Filter
There are plenty of online resources to use to check which oil filter is right for you car.
There is one built into Amazon although I recommend checking a few resources!
As long as you know the year, make, model and engine of your car you should be able to find the correct filter for it.
When it comes to selecting the best oil filter for you car I hope you found this review helpful. If you can opt for a fully synthetic filter- you will get more miles out of it and your car will run a lot smoother. My personal choice is the Royal Purple 341777 Extended Life Oil Filter but if you have a high performance car then I suggest the Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Performance Oil Filter.
Best Oil Filters
Everytime your car is due for an oil change you need to change the oil filter as well. These are generally inexpensive so I have reviewed and listed the best oil filters in this post.
Royal Purple 341777 Extended Life Oil Filter
Mobil 1 M1-110 Extended Performance Oil Filter.
Purolator PL14610 PurolatorONE Oil Filter