The best diving masks are arguably the most important elements of all of your equipment.
Regardless of whether you prefer to snorkel or scuba dive, you are going to want to put a lot of thought into your mask.
I realized this just as soon as I first started snorkeling. Since I had no choice but to rent masks, I quickly realized the disadvantages of using poor quality models.
Saltwater seeping into my eyes completely disrupted my snorkeling trips and took me that much longer to get used to being underwater.
However, by the time that I started scuba diving I realized just how to pick the masks that were right for the task. If you would like to read more about full face snorkel masks check out this link.
Best Scuba and Snorkel Masks
To save you the trouble, here are the best options available to you:
Cressi Pano 3 & Supernova Dry Combo
$49.95 in stock
- A great equipment ready to use to enjoy snorkeling or scuba diving without any trouble. The panoramic masks have been designed to give you great visibility, fit, durability and comfort.
- Mask made of hypoallergenic soft silicone to ensure a perfect sealing. Soft nose pocket for easy equalization. Lenses in tempered glass for safety and easy-to-clean. Push-button buckles to easily adjust strap length.
- The Supernova Dry is the first submersible dry top snorkel of Cressi. Great for anyone from youth to adults, for anyone who wants to feel much safer when they are snorkeling.
- The dry top valve eliminates water entry when submerged. A soft silicone mouthpiece reduced drastically jaw fatigue. Bottom purge valve to blow out the remaining water.
- The Pano 3 & Supernova Dry combo is designed by Cressi and made in Taiwan. Cressi has been an Italian brand pioneer in Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, and Swimming equipment since 1946.
The Cressi Panaromic View mask is labeled as a snorkel mask.
The reason that I choose this mask for the top spot on the best snorkel mask list, however, was that it works well for both occasions.
Now, this for a number of reasons.
First of all, the lens of the mask is made from tempered glass. This makes it resistant to most types of damage and can withstand scratches as well. It is also safe to go scuba diving with.
Due to the durability of the lens, this mask is able to withstand the pressure that is typically created at greater depths.
The mask frame, too, is also quite tough. Composed of polycarbonate material, it is going to last you for quite a while and thus makes this mask a great investment.
Another thing that I noted was that it is actually a comfortable mask to wear, even if you are keeping it on for extended periods of time.
This is due to the soft, silicone skirt around the mask. However, as it is a double edge skirt, you can be quite sure that no water will be finding its way into your mask.
One of the standout features on this mask is the fact that there are four windows instead of just two. As a result, your field of vision gets a whole lot better when you are underwater.
Last but not least, I really appreciated the fact that it was quite easy to tailor the mask to a variety of sizes of heads.
- Polycarbonate frame and tempered glass lens
- Silicone, double edge skirt
- Quick adjusting buckles
Phantom Aquatics Panoramic Scuba Mask Snorkel Set
- EZ Equalize nose pocket
- Patented single-lens design with seamless side window for a panoramic field of vision
- Crystal-clear, double-sealed silicone skirt for superior fit and comfort
- New even Lower-volume styling for a snug fit
- SNORKEL: Large exhaust and purge valve at bottom for easy water clearing
This Phantom Aquatics scuba mask works just as well as a snorkel mask.
Even more so as it comes equipped with its very own snorkel.
What I would say is one of the best parts of this mask is that it is quite strong.
This is quite important for a mask that needs to function both as a scuba and snorkel mask.
This added durability means that both the frame and the lens are capable of standing up to greater pressures, the deeper that you go.
There is one other feature that helps with such a situation. This is the EZ Equalize nose pocket. This is a well-built aspect that allows you to better adjust to the pressure simply by exhaling.
Even those who are new to scuba diving will find it easy to manage with this mask. The mask is lightweight enough to sit on your face comfortably without causing any undue tension to your muscles. The silicone skirt also works quite well.
It has been double sealed and makes for an excellent fit.
If there were to be any complaints about this mask is that it has a tendency to fog up, especially when diving.
However, this is something that is easily remedied with some spit or anti-fogging product.
Apart from this, the Phantom Aquatics mask is a great option for any diver who is looking for a quality mask that fits well.
- Panoramic lenses
- Tempered glass lens and polycarbonate frame
- Double sealed silicone skirt
Cressi Scuba Diving Snorkeling Freediving Mask Snorkel Set
$44.99 in stock
4 used from $39.32
- Frameless mask with single lens design, tempered glass lens for extra durability.
- Ultra clear lens for vivid colors, soft and comfortable mask skirt, low volume design. It features push button buckle for easy strap adjustments, wide field of vision.
- Dry top design snorkel, anti-splash top, special valve seals tube when submerged.
- Corrugated smooth bore lower tube, quick release snorkel keeper, easy clear purge valve.
- The F1 & Supernova Dry is designed in Italy by Cressi and made in Taiwan. Cressi has been an Italian brand pioneer in scuba diving, snorkeling, and swimming equipment since 1946.
There is a lot to like about the Cressi Frameless Snorkel Set.
To start with, this is certainly a reasonably priced offer.
Not only is the most affordable mask on the list, you also get a quality snorkel to boot.
Of course what’s really important is just how well the mask functions.
This is one of my favorite best snorkel masks and this is largely due to the fact that it is frameless.
This means that the soft silicone skirt is attached directly to the lens itself.
Being frameless, this Cressi has lost a lot in terms of weight. This allows me to wear this mask for an extended period of time without feeling the weight of it on my face.
There is also no denying that this mask just fits better. It comfortably attaches to your face and makes sure that absolutely no water gets in at all.
The tempered glass of the lens means that the mask can be used for scuba diving as well.
Nonetheless, it wouldn’t be my first choice. I do like to take it with me when I’m diving, however, to serve as a backup. As it flattens out quite well, it doesn’t take up much room.
Although the lenses may not be panoramic, I do quite like the way that they are designed. You still get to see a lot when you’re underwater and your view is not restricted.
It is also a good option for those who are looking for a good snorkel set.
- Frameless mask
- Tempered glass lens with great view
- Comfortable silicone skirt
- Dry top snorkel
Scuba Choice Blue Diving Prescription Mask
- Available corrective lenses: -1.5, -2.0, -2.5, -3.0, -3.5, -4.0, -4.5, -5.0, -5.5, -6.0
- Tempered glass lenses
- Crystal silicone facial skirt and mask strap.
- Unique buckle design which allows you to adjust the mask easily
My main reasons for including the Scuba Choice Prescription Lens mask brand is two-fold.
The first because it is quite affordable, despite the service that the company is providing.
The second is that I like the variety in the prescription options. Not to mention, you can also have your lenses with two different prescriptions.
As this is something that many people require, it is a valuable feature.
As a scuba mask, it works well, too.
For instance, despite the prescription properties, the lenses are made from tempered glass.
The mask also provides a great fit for even faces that are may be a little bit narrower than usual. This is helped by the silicone facial skirt that lines the mask. This makes it a whole lot more comfortable as well.
The other thing that stood about this mask is that it is easy to adjust the straps and get the right fit. Even if you are bobbing on the surface of the water and have to fix your mask, it is very simple to do. This means that not only do you get to prevent water from leaking in, the mask is not overly tight either.
- Prescription lenses available
- Tempered glass lenses
- Easily adjustable buckles
- Comfortable silicone skirt
Cressi Scuba Diving Big Eyes Evolution Mask
$64.95 in stock
- This revolutionary mask is made of High Seal Silicone, a material that offers unprecedented comfort and a perfect seal ideal for scuba diving, snorkeling, and freediving.
- The raked lenses, with their inverted drop shape (Cressi patent), are quite small and are inclined as close to the eyes as possible to improve the downward visibility. The lenses may be replaced with prescription optical lenses ideal for myopic.
- The frame uses the exclusive patented Cressi system of double injection of an elastomer on a rigid element. The buckles are mounted not on the skirt structure, but on an indestructible element that allows the buckle to tilt and turn without it breaks.
- The mask is made using the IDF system. The Integrated Dual Frame is a technology that consists of the joining of two rigid frames producing a drastic reduction in the internal volume. Patented by Cressi US 20140013494 A1.
- The thickness of the frame has been reduced to such an extent as to make it practically invisible when the mask is being worn.
If you are willing to shell out a decent amount of money, then this Cressi Big Eyes Evolution mask is totally worth it.
In fact, I would argue that it is one of the best scuba masks. Let’s take a look at why this is.
To start with, there is the double-injection silicon skirt.
Yes! it is quite revolutionary. The very first thing that you are going to notice about this skirt is that it hugs your face like a glove. Not only does it create an effective seal, it also offers added comfort.
The strap is also made from silicone, allowing it to rest more easily against your head.
The lenses on this mask are inclined. This causes the lenses to be placed closer to the eyes than with other masks. As a result, you get a fantastic view of the ocean floor beneath you without having to move your head around too much.
The lenses are also great because they help to improve visibility immensely.
It really is quite an experience seeing the underwater world through this lenses.
There are prescription options available for you, if you want.
The other notable feature is the low volume frame on the mask.
This means that you can purge the mask without using up too much of air. It lends a more aerodynamic design to the mask as well.
The buckle system on this mask makes it that much easier to adjust, increasing your level of comfort as you do so.
- Double injected silicone skirt
- Raked lenses
- Low volume frame
- Ultra-clear tempered glass lens
Atomic Aquatics Frameless Mask
- Large lenses and close fitting skirt
- Designed to have a comfortable fit
- Squeeze-to-adjust buckles
- Computer designed to maximize field of vision
From personal experience, I would say that the Atomics Aquatics Frameless Mask works well as both a scuba and a snorkel mask.
There is no denying that this a superior mask in many different aspects.
The quality, in particular, is quite good.
Perhaps what really sets this mask apart from the rest, however, is the quality of the vision.
The size and the design of the lenses mean that you will be able to see everything underwater incredibly clearly. It does not matter which direction that you are looking in, the clarity is quite exemplary.
Of course, it might take a little bit of getting used to as the lenses are quite near to your eyes.
While I am not overly enamored by the skirt, I have to admit that it does its job well and manages to seal the mask against the face.
I also like the fact that it is simple to adjust the buckles as it just involves pressing down on the buttons and working the straps. Since this is the frameless version, you can expect it to be a lot lighter than what you are typically used to.
If you were to think of a disadvantage for this mask, it would be the fit. The experience does differ from person to person but many people have mentioned that the mask fits just a few faces.
Therefore, although the quality is great, you just may not be able to get the mask to fit.
- Large, increased view lenses
- Frameless design
- Easily adjustable buckles
Cressi Liberty Triside Spe Diving Mask
$50.54 in stock
- 3-window mask made with Tempered Glass, Low Volume Design, Easy to Clear. Ideal for Scuba Diving and Snorkeling.
- Skirt & Strap made in 100% Silicone combined for Perfect Fit and Seal on Face.
- Strap Push-Button Swivel Buckles: make Adjustments Easy and Fast.
- Easy Access One-Handed Nose Pocket for Ear Equalization.
- Spray Painted Effect colored frame that makes the mask elegant and beautiful to see.
If you are looking for a low volume design mask, then you can settle on the Cressi Perfect View Scuba Diving Mask. It is designed to suit scuba diving as well as other water sports. It is easy to clean and comes in high quality to withstand regular use. It is designed for a comfortable fit to ensure you can stand wearing it for long hours underwater.
The mask comes with tempered glass for the lens. This quality of glass ensures it does not shatter at the highest water pressure underwater. Also, it provides a clear view of the water environment without fogging up. The skirt comes in 100 % silicone which molds into the shape of the face.
A quality feature that stands out with this mask is the strap. It has push-button swivel buckles which makes it easy to adjust in the shortest time possible. It also features a one-handed nose pocket which is easily accessible for ear equalization. It has a spray-painted effect colored frame to match up to your style.
The mask is indeed a great buy for the price. With the features it comes with, you will get the most out of it. The fit has proven to be comfortable for long hours of scuba diving making it an essential mask for regular divers.
- Low-volume design
- Tempered glass lens
- Adjusting strap
- High-quality silicone
Mpow Dry Snorkel Mask
- Crystal Clean View Underwater. The mask is made of large one-piece and anti-fog glasses that not only provide wide underwater view but also keep lens clean and fog-free after long-time use. It is the ideal connector between you and the colorful underwater world.
- All Dry Snorkel. Compared with half-dry snorkel, it is easier for green hands to get start. The air valve is totally sealed when you are under water, and opened when you extend it up to breathe, reducing the possible of swallowing water.
- Reliable Protection to Eyes. The tempered glass lens is durable and shatter-resistant, protecting you from all sorts of hard or sharp objects in water and withstanding deep water pressure.
- Just Fit the Head. This Snorkeling set comes in one size to fit all. 2 buttons at each side of the mask are used for easily adjusting the strap’s length. The widened strap attaches the mask tightly but softly to your head, causing less pressure to head.
- Perfect for Underwater Adventures. The professional snorkel set is perfect for swimming, snorkeling, diving and other under water activities. It is an ideal equipment for swimmers, divers, photographers and adventurers.
The Mpow Diving Mask and dry snorkel is best suited for scuba diving but can also work for snorkeling and swimming. It features fantastic features that ensure you enjoy underwater exploration. The best part is that it is an excellent choice for someone that needs a quality mask on a budget.
The mask features tempered glass for the lens which withstands water pressure and brings comfort underwater. The lens has a double anti-fog treatment to ensure you have clear vision all through. The waterproof rings made of high-quality silicone are soft and safe on your skin. With this, you will have a perfect and a complete seal to prevent leakages.
The design suits different face shapes. The one-piece lens for adults ensures you get a panoramic view of the underwater environment and can be removed if needed. The mask also has a two side buckle which allows you to adjust the tightness of the strap for a customized fit. You only need to press the fastener to release the belt out.
The overall quality of the mask has proven to work for many users. It is a simple-design mask that delivers the benefits of other expensive models. For the price, users appreciated that it works reasonably well for scuba diving and other water sports. If you are searching for a quality affordable mask, then this Mpow diving mask is the right choice for you.
- Tempered glass lens
- Ergonomic design
- Adjustable strap
- Waterproof rings
- Dry snorkel
TELESIN Silicone Diving Mask
- SNORKEL & DIVE MASK FOR ACTION CAMERAS: Soft, comfortable, anti-fog diving mask with camera mount allows you to capture every amazing view under the water with your action camera or GoPro device.
- INCLUDES ALUMINUM THUMBSCREW AND TRAVEL BAG with your mask to make storing and attaching your GoPro camera a breeze anytime you go scuba diving or snorkeling.
- ULTRA SOFT SILICONE: Focus on your shots, not your goggles. Mask is designed with the highest quality silicone to ensure one of the best fitting masks you have ever had.
- GoPro MOUNT INCLUDED- It comes with a detachable GoPro Camera Mount, so you can easily attach your action camera to capture and share your snorkeling adventure with your friends and family.
- BEGINNER & YOUTH FRIENDLY: This mask is perfect for any skill level. Breathing is easy for kids and novice swimmers so anyone can enjoy the experience and take great underwater photos.
The Telesin Scuba Diving Mask is designed for the stylish diver that likes a pop of color on the gear. Also, it comes with essential features to ensure a seamless diving experience as far as using a mask is concerned. It has a simple yet functional design that is easy to operate for beginners and experienced divers.
The mask comes in high quality and is scratch-resistant to last a long time. It incorporates an anti-fog system for the lens to help eliminate fog and enhance the clarity. Also, the anti-fog coating contributes to the durability of the glass making it suitable for regular divers. Anti-fog inserts increase the defogging effect ensuring you have a clear view all through.
It has an ultra-soft belt that comes from the highest quality of silicone for quality fitting. The silicone molds into the shape of the face giving you a tight yet comfortable seal. More to this, the mask has a GoPro camera mount to provide you with a great underwater experience. With the travel bag and thumbscrew make it easy to attach your camera and store it conveniently.
Some of the qualities users loved about the mask are the fit and anti-fogging feature. The mask seemed to work well for different shapes of faces and held up well. Although it could fit smaller from some people, it still works as expected with a little loosening of the clasp. It is a quality mask for the price and a suitable one for scuba diving.
- Anti-fog system
- Ultra-soft silicone belt
- Comes with a GoPro Mount
- Thumbscrew and travel bag included
Aegend Dry Top Snorkel Set, Anti Fog Clear Vision Diving Mask and Free-Breathing Dry Snorkel, Watertight Dive Mask with Easy Adjustable Strap, for Adult Youth, Scuba Diving Swimming
- ANTI-FOG LENS GIVES CRYSTAL-CLEAR VISION ALL THE TIME! When you're underwater, your breath can fog up the lens of cheaper face masks. But this mask is specially designed to be FOG-FREE - giving you hours of enjoyable swimming, diving, or snorkeling.
- BREATHE-EASY DRY SNORKEL LETS AIR IN, KEEPS WATER OUT! This high-tech, DRY snorkel keeps air out until you're READY to breathe in! No more surprise gulps of water in your mouth when you're trying to breathe!
- PERFECT FIT AND NO LEAKING: Adjust elastic silicone strap to fit snugly and the improved mask fit different face shapes well including men, women, teenagers and so on. This mask has a very soft liquid silicone skirt, reduces face water pressure, seals on your face well without worrying about water leakage.
- HIGH QUALITY AND COMFORTABLE: The materials of this snorkel set are flexible and solid, a durable good quality product. The food-grade silicone mouthpiece is also comfortable for a long periods of time, no jaw fatigue and any peculiar smell. Snorkel set for adult youth perfectly.
- EASY TO USE, A GREAT FOR BEGINNER AND DIVERS: Snorkels have a new type of clip for attaching the snorkel to the face mask strap easily. Perfect for beginners and divers, make your snorkeling experience better. Notes: Aegend product enjoys 12-month worry-free warranty, Satisfaction guarantee!
The quality of the Aegend Scuba Diving Mask and snorkel stands out and lasts a long time. The mask comes in premium food-grade liquid silicone which is soft enough on the skin. Also, it is non-toxic and does not have a peculiar smell when you wear it. It has a comfortable fit and does not press your face when you use for a long session.
It has a 180 degrees panoramic view that is wide and clear. With the tempered glasses lenses, you can see clearly and spot the tiniest object underwater. It is sturdy and does not scratch, and that makes it a super useful mask for regular scuba diving. It resists compression and withstands water pressure well to retain the quality.
With the three-dimensional design, the mask gives you a comfortable fit and a watertight seal. Regardless of the shape of your face, this mask will work well. The quick-adjust buckle system which is compact and lightweight for quick adjustment and a perfect fit.
The mask has a flexible and soft nose part which is comfortable to keep the mask on for hours. The design suits American nose types to give you a tight seal yet comfortable. The nose part provides enough space for a high nose. With this one, you can be sure you are not hurting your nose by keeping the mask on for long.
- Flexible nose part
- High-quality silicone
- Quick-adjust buckle system
- 180 degrees panoramic view
- 3D ergonomic design
- Dry snorkel
COPOZZ Snorkel Mask
- 【Double-Lens Panoramic View】Fashion Integrated frame snorkel mask with double lens offers a 180 degree superior view for underwater exploration. Wide and high-grade soft silicone 3d sealing face gasket which molds perfectly to fit any face shape. Diving in style.
- 【Tempered Glass Lenses】 Scuba mask with shatter-resistant glass lenses to withstand deep water pressure. Scratching resist lens instead of polycarbonate enables you a clearer view under water and hardly to leave any scratches to your lens.
- 【Great Seal Comfortable Skirt】 Diving mask seals great with wide field of view. The silicone would be comfortably soft and seals on your face very well, which is the most important thing for preventing leaks.The frame looks cool.
- 【Fit Different Face Shapes】The goggles strap attaches to the skirt instead of the frame as this allows for a variety of face shapes and the mask should seal very well with many of them. Wider nicely shaped skirt help to seal and prevent leaking. Perfect for both diving pros and beginners.
- 【Adjustable Headband】Simply pull the snorkel mask straps to desired fit and the buckle will hold the straps securely in place. Adjust to fit any swimmer. Perfect for snorkeling, diving, swim training, etc. A great gift for snorkeling lovers.
The Copozz Diving Mask comes with a double lens which offers a 180 degrees panoramic view. It gives a full field of view for underwater exploration making your scuba diving sessions memorable. The tempered glass lenses are shatter-resistant to withstand water pressure. Also, the lenses are scratch-resistant maintaining a clear view of the environment underwater.
The mask has a broad and high-grade silicone face gasket which is soft enough for your skin. It molds into the shape of the face for a perfect fit and a tight yet comfortable seal. It ensures it does not leak water into the mask which can be extremely uncomfortable when diving. The adjustable headband comes in handy in securing the mask around the head allowing a customized fit for different face types.
The mask has one-way purge valves that seal the tube automatically. It ensures no water gets into the snorkel tube to choke. The bottom valve helps to prevent water from entering from below which allows easy breathing underwater. The quick-release buckle easily attaches to the mask to secure. The mouthpiece is ergonomically designed and is comfortable to reduce jaw fatigue.
Users appreciated the simple and comfortable fit of this mask. It has proven to work with different face types and delivers a tight seal but still soft enough to last hours underwater. Indeed, it does provide a full panoramic view which makes it essential for regular divers.
- Double-lens design
- Tempered glass lenses
- One-way purge valves
- Premium quality mouthpiece
- Adjustable headband
AQUA A DIVE SPORTS Scuba Snorkeling Dive Mask
$16.99 in stock
- Anti-fog PC lens,180° wide view
- Soft Silicone Rubber No Leaks
- Ergonomic Design Easy to Adjust
- Free 1 scuba mask box
- 100% satisfaction policy, each meets strict QC standards before shipment. If there is any problem with this diving mask, please contact our AQUA DIVE after-sales service team, we will reply you as soon as possible, and we can provide free replacement, or even a full refund if you are not satisfied.
This high-quality diving mask is designed to suit a variety of water sports including scuba diving. It has the quality to withstand the harsh underwater conditions and give you the best experience as far as wearing a mask goes. The design of this mask prevents leakage, and that makes it suitable for long sessions of scuba diving.
One of the features you will love about this mask is the flexible silicone strap. It is designed to prevent leakage by providing a comfortable and tight seal. The silicone conforms to the shape of your face for a more customized fit. With this mask, you will forget you have one on since the silicone has a lightweight feel on the skin. With the convenient buckle, you can adjust the mask to fit perfectly.
The mask features a one-piece lens which ensures you get unobstructed views of the underwater environment. The lenses play a significant role in ensuring you have a comfortable and memorable moment underwater. These PC-glass lenses are safe and do not fog up or yellow after use. Also, the lenses resist scratches which ensure you get a clear view.
You can expect to love the fit and comfort of this mask. Like other customers, you will have a worthwhile scuba diving experience, thanks to the design of the mask. The mask has shown to work well for scuba diving and did not fog up even after hours underwater.
- Flexible silicone strap
- One-piece lens
- PC-glass lens
- Adjustment buckle
Scuba Diving Mask
- All-Purpose Underwater Scuba Mask – This dive mask offers versatility for divers and snorkelers alike, making it great for pool, lake, ocean, or under water use.
- Multiple Lens Types – The YAM scuba dive mask comes in 2 different variations, including goggles with sun protector UV lenses and one with normal, clear lenses.
- Premium Silicone Seal – Around the front lenses is a flexible, waterproof silicone seal that suctions to the face safely and comfortably to keep water from getting in.
- Includes Storage Box – Every HD scuba mask also includes a clear, heavy-duty storage and carry scuba mask case that makes it easy to store when not in use.
- Guaranteed Satisfaction – Each scuba dive mask is also backed by the YAM refund or replacement 30-day guarantee to ensure your total purchase happiness.
If you are looking for a solid mask for regular scuba diving, this one from Adventure At Nature is a great choice. It is versatile and can work well for a variety of water sports including snorkeling and swimming. The design is simple and easy to figure out making it useful for beginners as well.
The scuba dive mask comes in two variations for the lens. One comes with sun protector UV lenses and the other with standard clear lenses. These come in handy in different situations where you need to keep your diving mask on while ensuring your eyes are well protected.
The premium silicone seal around the front lenses is flexible. Also, it is waterproof to ensure not even a drop of water accesses the inside of the mask. The silicone suctions to the face safely to keep water away and ensure you are safe all through. The mask comes with a heavy-duty storage case for secure storage when not in use.
A reliable mask needs to be waterproof and maintain a seal all through your diving session. This is the quality you get with this mask, and other users can agree to that. It seems to hold up well and is easy to fix and adjust making it a useful mask for regular use. With the two lens types, you can get the most out of this mask.
- Two types of lenses available
- Fog and leak resistant
- Premium quality silicone
- Adjusting strap
What Are The Different Type of Masks
There are several types of scuba and snorkel masks available on the market.
These typically differ in terms of design and features.
One of the ways that masks can vary is whether they have a frame or are frameless.
With frameless, there is no thick frame to contend with and as a result, the lenses are closer to your face than with the framed versions. Here, the skirt is attached to the lenses rather than an outer frame.
Frameless also tends to be lighter than the framed version.
The other way that the masks can be distinguished is through the panes.
There are single pane masks where there is no separation of the lens. It is just one continuous lens. With the double pane, there is a break right where your nose is. This is akin to wearing a pair of glasses. There are also masks with four windows. This is so that you can look straight ahead as well as left and right without moving your head.
Another feature that sets masks apart is whether or not they have a purge valve. The ones without this feature have a simple rubber nose. The ones that do have a purge valve, however, have a feature on the bottom of the mask nose. By exhaling, you are able to expel the water outwards, without breaking the seal.
Another type of mask has also been emerging which are full face snorkel masks. This is when the whole face is engulfed in the mask, which has a dry snorkel attached to the top.
Choosing the Right Mask
Technically, there is no real difference between a scuba mask and a snorkel mask. What really matters here is quality and durability. With snorkeling, you don’t really stray too far from the surface. This means that the mask won’t experience any real pressure. Therefore, strictly speaking, you should be able to get away with using less durable materials, although that is not advised.
Now with scuba diving, you are going to have to account for pressure as well as added risks. This is why it is important to have tempered glass and a tough frame. These higher quality materials will be able to withstand the pressure with ease. Not to mention, if the mask does get damaged, you don’t have to be concerned about getting hurt with the tempered glass.
Aside from these things, there are some common rules that you need to follow, regardless of whether you are buying a scuba or a snorkel mask. Perhaps the most important is regarding the fit. As you can imagine, a poorly fitting mask is going to cause you a lot of problems as it will let the water seep in. This is why you should also measure your face and compare it to the measurements provided by the mask companies. Ideally, you should avoid making decisions based on S, M, L, etc.
Each company has their own way of sizing and so these aren’t really universal measurements.
The other thing that you should pay attention to is the skirt. Masks that have silicone skirts may cost you a little more. Nonetheless, this added cost is well worth it. Not only is silicone a lot more comfortable against your skin, it is longer lasting and more effective as a sealant too.
Last but not least, take a good look at the straps and the buckles that are attached to the mask. You will have to deal with these quite regularly. This means that you should be able to make the necessary adjustments with ease.
How to Use Your Dive Mask
Once you have got your mask, you are going to need to figure out how to use it. Here are some tips on how you can do this:
The first thing that you should be aware of is that fogging can occur when you are underwater. To prevent this, you are going to need to ‘treat’ your mask before putting it on. There are several substances that you can use for this purpose. There are commercial grade de-fogging agents, spit, or baby shampoo. Once you have rubbed this agent into the lens, you will need to thoroughly rinse it out either in saltwater or freshwater. It is important that you do not touch the lens with your fingers while or after you have rinsed the lens.
Slip the mask on and make sure that it is centered on your face. This will go a long way in making sure that the mask will not leak. Then, you are going to need to fix the mask in that position by adjusting the strap that sits around your head. One of the more common mistakes is to fix the strap too tightly to your head. This, however, can cause leakage. Make sure that it is flush against your head but not overly so. It is also important to make sure that the strap sits in the middle of your head rather than lying too high or too low.
You will need to dip your head into the water and adjust it depending on whether or not the water is leaking in. Once you have found the perfect fit, you are reading to go snorkeling or diving.
These are the best scuba and snorkel masks on the market. It is important that you always choose the best possible quality and are aware of how to properly don your new mask.
Best Snorkel Mask
Choosing the best snorkel mask is easy with our detailed reviews!
- Cressi Pano 3 & Supernova Dry Combo
- Phantom Aquatics Panoramic Scuba Mask Snorkel Set
- Cressi Scuba Diving Snorkeling Freediving Mask Snorkel Set
- Scuba Choice Blue Diving Prescription Mask
- Cressi Scuba Diving Big Eyes Evolution Mask
- Atomic Aquatics Frameless Mask
- Cressi Liberty Triside Spe Diving Mask
- Mpow Adult Diving Mask
- TELESIN Silicone Diving Mask
- Aegend Scuba Dive Mask Snorkel Mask
- COPOZZ Snorkel Mask
- AQUA A DIVE SPORTS Scuba Snorkeling Dive Mask
- Scuba Diving Mask