It is quite the reality check to spend your whole life reaching up into tall cabinets, squatting over a toilet, hopping out of bed, or stepping in and out of a bathtub.
Then suddenly you’re unable to. As simple as breathing, these tasks are not something you actively think about once you reach the age to crawl and then walk. But then as a senior citizen (or someone who has endured a physical injury) finding the best step stools for the elderly becomes a priority.
Whether it’s a kitchen step stool or bed steps for elderly, finding the perfect step stool to avoid asking for help every single time you want to do everyday activities would be relief.
But what do you look for first? Wood? Plastic? Metal? Rubber? While there are plenty of options for step stools for seniors, your confidence level for balancing and climbing will determine which one is right for you.
Best Step Stools For The Elderly
DMI Step Stool with Handle for Adults and Seniors
$36.99 in stock
- FOOT STEP STOOL provides easy reach for objects out of grasp with the support of a convenient handrail for safety and stability. Step Stool Standing Aid platform is 9.5 inches from the floor.
- MULTIPURPOSE BED STEP, STAIR LIFTS OR BED STOOL to safely step up to high beds, out of tubs or showers, in or out of vehicles and hard to reach cabinets.
- WIDE STEP STOOL features a non-slip textured matting and reinforced rubber tips to enhance stability and provide additional safety.
- PORTABLE STEP is made of heavy duty steel construction with a chrome plated steel frame and wider legs that holds up to 300 pounds
- STEP STOOL SPECS: Step platform measures 10 x 14.5. Height of platform from floor: 9”. Handle height from floor is 34”. Overall dimensions: 17.3”x12.3”x34” . Weight capacity: 300 pounds. Units must be placed on a dry and level surface to ensure stability.
Do you have a senior guest coming over to stay for a few days? Whether they’re pulling a dish out to share a family recipe or need a bed step stool for elderly family to lay down in a high bed, a little boost helps.
- Heavy-duty medical step stool
- Non-slip textured matting
- Step platform: 10 inches x 14.5 inches
- Height from platform to floor: 9.5 inches
The reinforced rubber tips on this step stool with handle for elderly users comes in handy. (The handle height is 34 inches, or almost 3 feet.) In addition to providing a safer step, it has a foam rubber grip on it that may not be found on other step stools.
The chrome-plated steel frame can hold up to 300 pounds and has a slip-resistant textured surface to stand on. The reinforced rubber tips keep the step stool from sliding around while someone is trying to step on top of the surface area.
- Several reviewers found problems with alignment and size for bolt holes
- Several reviewers complained that assembly instructions were hard to follow
Step stools with handles may make seniors who would not normally reach for higher items a bit overly confident. It is always best to check with a physician before ordering this stool. Keep in mind the weight of an object, if using this step stool to pull something from the kitchen cabinet. The person using it must be able to safely lower that item and still be able to use the other hand to step down. Using this 5-pound step stool empty-handed may be less of an issue.
AdjustaStep(tm) Deluxe Step Stool
3 used from $52.84
- Height adjustable- the only height adjustable step stool with handle available. customize both step and handle height in seconds.
- The safer step stool- customize the step height and handle height based on the users physical capability and range of motion.
- The more versatile step stool- customize the step height and handle height based on the task at hand. adjustastep is not made in china and has no offensive off-gassing odors commonly found in made-in-china step stools!
- 2 products in 1- the adjustastep can be switched from a stool with handle to a stool without handle in seconds, no tools required. also allows for easy storage.
- Modern, clean design- modern 2016 white/blue design. no need to settle for old-style, industrial-looking chrome or silver vein finishes.
The step stool’s handle and actual step can be personalized for each person’s physical capability and flexibility to move. This adjustable-step feature also comes in handy in case you don’t need the handle or step to be as tall as its initial height.
- Height-adjustable handle
- Customize step and height handle
- Step platform: 13.75 inches x 11.25 inches
- Height from platform to floor: 8.5 inches, 9.5 inches or 10.5 inches
If you don’t need the handle (that can adjust from 31.5 inches to 33.5 inches), you can remove it without extra tools. This option may also be easier when storing the step stool in a closet or other small space.
The modern white-and-blue design step stool, with rugged all-steel construction, can hold up to 300 pounds. Safely stand on the step stool without risk of slipping; it has a non-slip surface, non-slip hand grips and non-slip foot grips. Assemble the 9-pound step stool in less than three minutes with no tools needed.
- Taller people may have to lean down to touch handle once on platform
If this stool is not for you, there is an unlimited lifetime warranty.
Bath Safety Steps
- QUICK AND EASY BATHROOM SAFETY - Makes bath-time safe and enjoyable again for those with mobility issues. Simple shower steps let you confidently get in and out of your tub. Total height is 10".
This 8-pound step stool may be the answer to your senior family’s concerns about getting in and out of the tub. While a walk-in shower may seem like an easier option, it can also set you back thousands of dollars. Consider one of these step stools first before making the big financial plunge.
- Corrosion-resistant steel frame
- Slip-resistant textured surface
- Step platform: 10 inches x 16 inches x 18 inches
- Height from second step to floor: 10 inches
Either leave the step stool next to the bathtub or move it away when not in use. But with its corrosion-resistant steel frame, it can stay in place with the help of rubber feet that prevents slipping. (The first step is approximately 6 inches.) This stool can hold up to 220 pounds; keep your weight difference in mind when estimating wet weight.
- Gap between two steps
No assembly is required for this handy item. Just unpack the steps, and move them into place.
Support Plus Stackable Bath Step
- 4" BATH STEPS FOR SENIORS - Seniors and individuals with limited mobility often have difficulty stepping into a high sided bathtub. Each handicap step gives you a 4 inch boost wherever you need it. Supports 330 lbs.
- SLIP-RESISTANT SHOWER STEP- The top of the mobility steps have a textured rubber top for secure footing and low-profile rubber feet keep the tough plastic foot stool from sliding on smooth and wet surfaces. Measures 19 1/2" wide x 16" deep x 4" high.
- STACKABLE FOR EXTRA HEIGHT - First step provides an four inches of height. Two stacked together provides is 6" high and stacking three steps gives you 8 inches of height. Sold as a single spa step or as a set of 3.
- MULTI-PURPOSE PORTABLE BATH STEP - In the bathroom use a toilet foot stool for adults & children or a shower step for shaving. Take the portable step to the bedroom, and it's a step stool for bedside for adults, stack a couple as bedside steps for high beds.
- FROM SUPPORT PLUS - Support Plus is an industry leader in medical bed steps, bathroom safety, aids & accessories, bath aids for the elderly, and many more mobility aids & equipment.
This white, plastic step provides a durable, handy way to get in and out of a bathtub. And unlike step stools with gaps in between the stairs or a gap underneath the stool, this one provides height from plastic all the way around on each side.
- Textured rubber for slip resistance
- Lightweight (2.49 pounds)
- Step platform: 19.5 inches x 16 inches x 4 inches
- Height from second step to floor: 10 inches
In addition to 4 inches of extra support getting in and out of the tub, this step stool also has low, rubber feet to keep it from sliding around on a wet floor. The base of it is wide and sturdy enough to prevent it tipping to the side or over when someone steps on it. The step can hold a maximum of 330 pounds.
- Height cannot be adjusted
As with other step stools, the height is what it is. While handles can be adjusted, usually the lowest height of the step stool matters. The person using this stool should be comfortable stepping on and off a 4-inch step onto a lower platform.
EZ-Step Stair Climbing Cane
- Durable ABS plastic step measuring 3.5” high x 9” wide x 9” length
- Lightweight weighing only 2 lbs.
- Aluminum adjustable cane from 29” to 39” with offset ergonomic handle
- Non-skid diamond shaped tread surface with non-slip rubber feet for greater stability
- Base Made in the USA. Weight limit 350 lbs.
Who wants to carry around a cane plus a step stool? No one. With this stair climbing cane, this gadget can work similar to a step stool. It will come in handy when walking up and down steps, in a pool, out of a tub and so forth.
- Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) plastic
- Lightweight (2 pounds)
- Step platform: 3.5 inches x 9 inches x 9 inches
With the help of the offset ergonomic handle, this can can stand anywhere from 29 inches to 39 inches. The aluminum adjustable material has a non-skid, diamond-shaped tread surface, and the rubber feet assist with stability.
The maximum weight for this climbing cane is up to 350 pounds. This 2-pound cane also has an option to maneuver the screw so the surface area is turned however you need, both for left-handed and right-handed users.
- Avoid constantly adjusting the step; reviewers found the surface area may loosen and swirl
- May take additional practice to balance one foot on platform while stepping with the other
Step Stool/Footstool with Handle
- Easily reach objects out of your grasp with the support from a convenient handrail, providing safety and stability.
- Safely step up to higher beds, vehicles, cabinets and much more with this heavy duty medical step stool
- The more versatile step stool- customize the step height and handle height based on the task at hand.
- The only height adjustable step stool with handle available.
- Capacity: 300lbs
With the help of a handrail and a step stool, this height adjustable step stool is flexible for seniors of varying heights. It can go lower or higher, depending on who is using it and the end goal.
- Heavy-duty medical step stool
- Sponge armrest
- Step platform: 16 inches x 11 inches (approximately)
- Height from handle to floor: 37 inches (approximately)
The tricky part about footstools and step stools is entirely too many don’t take into account how tall or short a user is. With this one, both the bottom step (7.87 inches to 9.84) and the handle (22.44 inches to 27.56 inches) can be expanded and lowered, depending on the user. The rubber mats and non-slip surface keep it from sliding.
- Potential falls increase if foot is not placed on the center of the step
In addition to the flexible adjustment, this step stool can hold up to 300 pounds. If used in a bathtub or shower, there are drainage holes to keep out excessive moisture.
Stackable Bath Safety Steps
- QUICK AND EASY BATHROOM SAFETY - Makes bath-time safe and enjoyable again for those with mobility issues.
- DON'T TRIP OR SLIP - A simple shower step lets you confidently get in and out of your tub.
- STACKABLE DESIGN - Steps safely and securely stack to provide added height. First step is 4", then add 2" with each added step.
- LOADED WITH SAFETY FEATURES - Steps feature a slip-resistant textured surface, and rubber feet add stability to help keep steps from sliding. Max weight limit 418 lbs.
- MAKES A GREAT GIFT - Perfect for an elderly parent or anyone with limited mobility due to illness or injury.
Nothing against the Support Plus steps, but if you’re looking for a little color in your bathroom, this stackable bath stool should do the trick. And it comes in a set of two to lead seniors right into the tub.
- 4-inch step, 2-inch step
- Slip-resistant textured surface
- Rubber feet to reduce slippage
- Step platform: 16 inches x 19 inches x 4 inches
The extra-large, non-slip platform can evenly line up against a bathtub. For seniors who are a bit nervous about stepping onto a higher step first, especially ones that don’t adjust, buying a box of two may make it easier.
Stack up the first pair against the tub (4 inches), then two additional 2-inch steps to get a walking start before climbing into the tub.
- Test steps to confirm each height is comfortable without handles
Also different than other stackable steps, this one can hold a heavier weight at 450 pounds.
ResQUp Patient Lift and Mobility Aid
- INCLUDES CUSTOM FITTED DUST COVER
- ACTIVELY RECLAIM YOUR INDEPENDENCE AND DIGNITY! - The ResQUp (“rescue-up") helps youths, adults, the elderly, and disabled persons to safely and simply get up to a seated or standing position after a fall. The ResQUp requires some upper-body strength and should only be used by un-injured persons.
- SOME UPPER BODY STRENGTH is required to use the ResQUp as an “active” fall-recovery device and should only be used by uninjured persons.
- ALWAYS READY WHEN NEEDED – Get up by yourself or with help from a caregiver. Easily move it where you need it. The compact and portable ResQUp folds into itself for storage and requires no assembly, electrical power, or batteries.
- NO CAREGIVER LIFTING REQUIRED - Fallen persons actively participate in their fall recovery. The ResQUp only weighs 15 lbs but supports up to 350 lbs!
Examined and designed by a physical therapist, this lift is intended to lower strain from shoulders, wrists and hands so seniors can stand. It also gives caregivers an option for safe patient handling, specifically for handling.
- Foldable into one unit
- Ergonomic design
- Step platform: 31 inches x 11.5 inches x 13.5 inches
The three horizontal levels stand 4.5 inches apart and are made of durable low-density polyethylene (LDPE). The lift is intended for seniors to use to pull themselves from the floor in small steps. By step three, they should be able to get to a couch or chair with minimal help from a caregiver. With hands and elbows, they can pull themselves up. And unlike lighter couches or chairs, this platform is designed to be sturdy enough to not tip over if someone leans on it. However, for seniors who may be more agile on their feet, this lift can be used as a stool too.
- Heavier than the average step stool (15 pounds)
- Gap between two steps
This lift can hold up to 300 pounds. While, again, it’s not primarily intended as a step stool, the reason this option is significant is it can help seniors get accustomed to moving in a variety of ways. So if there does come a time when a fall happens (whether in the shower or on the living room floor), then seniors will be able to use this lift to stand up as well as step up.
Squatting Folding Toilet Stool
- Our Folding Squatting Toilet Stool allows you an easier and more effective elimination, and relieve you from constipation, hemorrhoids, bladder, IBS & Bowel disease etc.
- FAMILY BATHROOM ACCESSORIES - Folded Size: 40cm (L) x 25cm (W) x 10cm (H) Approx.Unfolded Size: 40cm (L) x 25cm (W) x 17.5cm (H) Approx., With Plastic material, both hardness and flexibility. Adapt to all people, the elderly and children, pregnant women.
- Adopt a natural, squatted position for quick and easy relief, keeping the hygiene of a modern toilet and having the huge health benefits of a natural squat.
- FOLDABLE - foldable designed Toilet Stool can save more space and easier storage. Our toilet foot-rest works with any standard toilet.
- Multipurpose use as a child step stool and great as a potty training aid.
Sometimes that step stool may be necessary for more intimate moments. While step stools are commonly used around kitchen cabinets and bathtubs, what happens when seniors need a little help sitting, balancing and squatting on a tub? And what do you do when there’s a bathroom cabinet directly above the toilet?
- Plastic material
- Step platform: 12.6 inches x 3.9 inches x 3.2 inches
This hard, flexible plastic slides right up against a toilet. It can be used as leverage for better circulation while using bathroom facilities. Or, for bathroom patrons who have wall cabinets installed above the toilet, it can double as a step stool. Multipurpose for seniors, healthy able-bodied adults and seniors, this stool can be used by all to avoid stepping on top of the toilet seat.
- Not ideal for those with squatting/knee issues
With this stool, the puborectalis muscle gets a little extra help. This will improve on the risk against bowel disease, constipation, bladder problems, hemorrhoids and irritable bowel syndrome. So there are health opportunities for using this particular stool. And when the stool isn’t necessarily, simply fold to the side and slip in the corner next to any standard-sized toilet.
Cutestepstools 8 Inch Solid Wood Step Stool
- THE FINEST STEPPING STOOLS ON AMAZON: We take great pride in our stools being handmade from start to finish, with great care and love. Each step stool goes through a 17 step process before it’s complete and this unique process results in the finest and sturdiest stool you can find on Amazon. Packed with unique style, quality and durability, these small works of art, are bound to be your favorite piece of furniture.
- SMOOTH TO THE TOUCH: Each stool is carefully sanded by hand and then a premium quality wax finish is applied. That way our stools are ensured to have no rough edges and remain silky smooth to the touch. Plus, if you feel crafty, you can also feel free to personalize it as you wish!
- UNIVERSAL PROBLEM SOLVER: Our amazing stepping stools can be used for a great variety of purposes. Put them by your kids’ bed to help them get on it easier, put them in your toilet for easy potty time, place them in your kitchen to reach those tall places or place it in your closet! The possibilities are simply endless. Use the 8” inch height to your advantage to reach for things or use it as an ever-handy spare chair when you have many guests!
- QUALITY MADE IN THE USA: CuteStepStools’ products are all the way made in the USA with the highest quality standards possible. Made with sustainably sourced wood in California, we can guarantee its extra durable construction, unlike various imported imitations. This stool won’t tip over no matter what and we promise it will be of assistance for many years on end.
- A SAFE PURCHASE: Here at CuteStepStools we know what our priorities are, and on the very top of that list is you, our customer. While we know you’ll love using our wooden step stool, we want you to buy with confidence. That’s why each stool comes fully backed by a 60 Day Money Back Guarantee. If you for any reason are not satisfied, you can enjoy a full and swift refund, no questions asked. Click Add To Cart Now and grab the most risk-free deal on Amazon!
Sometimes all you need for a little extra pick-me-up is something without the bells and whistles. Check out this handmade step stool that went through a 17-step process to make it the sturdiest step stool it could be.
- Sanded by hand
- Premium quality wax finish
- Step platform: 13 inches x 9 inches x 7.8 inches
Although wood usually looks much heavier, this stool is only 3.4 pounds. Made from sustainably sourced wood in California, this stool is reportedly guaranteed to not tip over. It can be used as a low chair, a step stool or a potential hand for getting off the floor. Available in ebony, natural and provincial wood tones, it can hold up to 250 pounds.
- No rubber feet to reduce slippage
If you’re really feeling creative, this wooden stool can also be painted and personalized to suit the user. Think of it as an empty canvas, which may be especially exciting for seniors who enjoy arts and crafts projects. But before you pull out all of your colors, make sure you pass the 60-day money-back guarantee if there are any issues.
Hopefully one of the 10 options above is suitable for you (or a senior family member’s) step stool needs. Before purchasing any of the above, get familiar with a senior’s agility level.
Some may need something as simple as a wooden stool to decrease strain on the ankles from reaching up for taller items. Others need more support, with canes and handles.
These step stools can be used in just about every area of the home, and sometimes they may come in handy for tasks you wouldn’t expect: putting on socks or sitting on the toilet. Know where the problematic areas are and what everyday tasks would be much easier with a step stool. Then proceed on and step lightly.
Whether for yourself or the elderly person in your life, the team at Ram Research have also reviewed the following posts for seniors:
Best Step Stools For The Elderly
For seniors, many will benefit greatly through the use of step stools around the home.
- DMI Step Stool with Handle for Adults and Seniors
- AdjustaStep(tm) Deluxe Step Stool
- Bath Safety Steps
- Support Plus Stackable Bath Step
- EZ-Step Stair Climbing Cane
- Step Stool/Footstool with Handle
- Stackable Bath Safety Steps
- ResQUp Patient Lift and Mobility Aid
- Squatting Folding Toilet Stool
- Cutestepstools 8 Inch Solid Wood Step Stool