Stud finders are a handy tool to have around the home. If you want to hang a shelf or even picture frames it can be very important to ensure you nail it into the wall stud or wall anchor point.
Wall studs are the 2 x 4 wood framing that supports the house. So when it comes to doing anything to your walls it is very important to know where the studs are.
Say you want to hang a large mirror, bookcases, shelving or any type of heavy item then you must use a stud finder.
Types of Stud Finders
Electronic Stud Finders
These are the most popular stud finders and work by measuring the relative density of the wall area.
If a higher density is detected it will light up which shows there is a stud there.
Magnetic Stud Finders
The cheaper version of electronic stud finders. As the name suggests it uses magnetism to identify if there are any nails or screws in the studs.
They aren’t as accurate or as quick to find studs as electronic ones but still work. The other issue with magnetic stud finders is they will pick up any product in the wall that is magnetic.
This includes any piping or metal conduits so make sure you keep that in mind.
Best Stud Finder
CH Hanson 03040 Magnetic Stud Finder
1 used from $ 28.09
- Small and compact, easily fits in pocket
- Powerful magnets allows hands free use
- 2 way level for ease of marking
- No batteries required
- Soft grip for easy grabbing and gentle touch
The CH Hanson 03040 Magnetic Stud Finder is the cheapest stud finder to make the review and as a result is one of the most popular.
If you are looking for a basic stud finder and you rarely use one then this is a good choice.
The stud finder uses magnetism to locate the wall stud which as I mentioned earlier isn’t the best.
The concern is for the other metallic objects that may be present and therefore not give an accurate reading of the wall stud location.
The CH Hanson 03040 Magnetic Stud Finder has a scan depth of 1inch and boasts an accuracy of +-0.5 inches. There is a bubble level as well.
It is small and compact and easily stored away or in the tool box. Due to the magnetism this stud finder is essentially hands free when in use.
- Small and compact
- Easy to use
- Hands free due to magnetism
- No batteries needed
- Comfortable to use
- Detects all types metals – not just nails and screws in the wall
For those who don’t use stud finders all that frequently the CH Hanson 03040 Magnetic Stud Finder is an inexpensive tool to have. The popularity of this stud finder and glowing reviews speaks volumes for the product.
ProSensor 710 Franklin Sensors ProSensor 710 Precision Stud Finder
- Advanced Multi-Sense Technology senses the wall in multiple locations simultaneously
- Bright LEDs lights illuminate to indicate the position of hidden objects - making it very easy to visualize the position of studs
- Identifies the width of hidden objects so that you not only know the position of hidden objects, but so you also know the size of them
- Can identify the position of multiple studs simultaneously
- Deep Scanning is always active (up to 1.5")
The ProSensor 710 Franklin Sensors ProSensor 710 Precision Stud Finder is also very popular and used by home owners to professionals in the industry. This stud finder is designed and assembled in the USA.
The stud sensing technology instantly finds studs without needing to slide the stud finder around. Through LED lights the detector senses the wall in 13 locations and then lights up where the elements in front of the stud.
Stud finder reads double and triple studs making it very effective and efficient at finding studs.
Fast and easy to use the ProSensor 710 Franklin Sensors ProSensor 710 Precision Stud Finder can be easily held and used in one hand and is available in yellow and blue.
- Efficient and very reliable
- Ergonomic handle
- Easy to use
- LED lights to show where the stud is
- Available in yellow or blue
If you want a high quality, highly accurate stud finder then the ProSensor 710 Franklin Sensors ProSensor 710 Precision Stud Finder is the stud finder for you!
Zircon StudSensor e50-FFP Edge Finding Stud Finder
- The Zircon SS e50 electronic stud scanner detects the edges of wood and metal studs and alerts you of live AC wires helping you easily find studs and avoid hazards while mounting a TV, hanging cabinets, installing garage shelving and more
- StudScan mode locates the edges of wood or metal studs up to 0.75 inches (19 mm) deep while DeepScan mode locates targets up to 1.5 inches (38 mm) deep
- WireWarning Detection indicates the presence of live, unshielded electrical AC wiring while scanning in StudScan and DeepScan modes
- Patented "Over the Stud" Indicator and SpotLite Pointing System ensure the e50 provides trustworthy results while the ergonomic grip design allows for comfortable use regardless of hand size
- One fully charged 9V battery, not included, is required for the stud scanner to run at optimal performance
The Zircon StudSensor e50-FFP Edge Finding Stud Finder is a budget friendly yet still highly accurate stud finder.
Featuring electronic scanning the stud finder detects the edges of the wood and metal studs. It also alerts you of live AC wires which is extremely helpful when it comes to mounting a TV, cabinets etc.
The StudScan mode detects up to 0.75inches deep and there is also a DeepScan mode which locates targets up to 1.5inches deep.
The Zircon StudSensor e50-FFP Edge Finding Stud Finder requires one 9V battery which isn’t included with the purchase.
With an easy to read LCD display there is also a SpotLite Pointer which shines an arrow shaped light onto the wall which marks the target.
- Ergonomic, comfortable handle
- Easy to use
- Scans 0.75 to 1.5inches deep depending on mode
- Easy marking with the SpotLite Pointer
- Not too consistent with locating studs
The Zircon StudSensor e50-FFP Edge Finding Stud Finder has two different scanning modes giving it a deep reading from 0.75 to 1.5inches. Quite a popular stud finder but I think there are better ones on the market.
ProSensor T6 Professional Stud Finder
- Quick and Easy
- Instantly Finds Studs - No Calibration Required
- Displays Stud Center and Edges Simultaneously. Detects Wood and Metal
- Accurate and Deep Sensing
- 6 Precision Sensors, Always on Deep Scanning, Multi-Sense Technology
The ProSensor T6 Professional Stud Finder is the smaller more compact version of the Franklin ProSensor earlier in the review.
Comprising of 6 sensors this stud finder is accurate and can detect studs in a wider area. There is no calibration required and it is very easy to use.
The LED lights iluminate when the centre and edge of the studs are located.
ProSensor T6 Professional Stud Finder is highly accurate and will get the job done efficiently and effectively.
- Accurate and easy to use
- 6 sensors
- LED lights to show the stud location
- Comfortable to use
- Not as reliable as the full version – ProSensor 710 Franklin Sensors ProSensor 710 Precision Stud Finder
Overall the ProSensor T6 Professional Stud Finder is a great stud finder that is compact yet effective.
Zircon MetalliScanner m40- FFP Handheld Electronic Metal Detector
- Zircon's MetalliScanner m40 metal detector locates ferrous (magnetic) metal and non-ferrous (non-magnetic) metal
- Quickly and easily detects metal in wood, drywall, paneling, tile, stucco, plaster, concrete and other non-metallic surfaces
- Works as a great stud finder for plaster walls, as well as finding rebar in concrete
- Easily finds plumbing, ductwork, rebar, nails and screws in your walls, floors and ceilings
- Now in easy open packaging, 9 volt battery included
The Zircon MetalliScanner m40- FFP Handheld Electronic Metal Detector is highly effective at detecting both magnetic metal and non-magnetic material.
Due to this it can detect very easily metal in wood, drywall, paneling, tile, stucco, plaster, concrete and other non metallic surfaces as well. This is a very versatile stud finder!
The Zircon MetalliScanner m40- FFP Handheld Electronic Metal Detector runs off a 9 volt battery which is included with the purchase.
It can detect metal behind walls up to 4 inches deep and for non- ferrous or non-magnetic up to 2 inches deep.
- 40 functions
- Easy to use
- Handle is easy to hold and grip
- LED lights to indicate signal strength
- Requires calibration
The Zircon MetalliScanner m40- FFP Handheld Electronic Metal Detector is very multi functional device that will find just about anything in your walls!
Precision Sensor ProFinder 6000+ Professional Stud Finder
- Just press and scan to find studs instantly. You can measure, mark, and level with one tool.
- Built-in Bubble level. Integrated Ruler. Convenient Pencil Caddy.
- 13 sensors provide up to 1.7 inches detection depth.
- Detects wood and metal.
- Includes ProFinder 6000+ Stud Finder, 2 Duracell "AA" Batteries and 3 Pencils.
The Precision Sensor ProFinder 6000+ Professional Stud Finder is the last stud finder to make the list! The updated or newer version of the 5000+ stud finder, this one is highly accurate and efficient.
Simple to use, just press and scan and the device does the rest for you. There is also a built in bubble level, integrated ruler and convenient pencil caddy.
There are a total of 13 sensors on this device which can detect up to 1.7inches deep. It can detect both wood and metal.
The Precision Sensor ProFinder 6000+ Professional Stud Finder needs 2 AA batteries to operated and they are included with the purchase.
When it comes to buying a stud finder there are many to choose from. The key thing to consider is the accuracy of the device. There are two methods of detection – electronic which measures density of magnetic which detects metal in the walls. When it comes to the best stud finder I recommend the ProSensor 710 Franklin Sensors ProSensor 710 Precision Stud Finder. If you are budget restricted and don’t need to use a stud finder regularly then the CH Hanson 03040 Magnetic Stud Finder is a great choice.