Tandems make kayaking twice the fun! If you want to share the adventure with your family and friends then read on for our detailed reviews about the best value for money tandems on the market.
Why Choose A Tandem?
If you are trying to decide between a standard and a tandem kayak it really comes down to personal preference. If you plan to use this for family vacations or weekends away with friends or you just want enough room for storage on solo trips then a tandem is ideal.
While tandems are a little longer than standard kayaks to account for the extra person they are much easier to transport and store than 2 single kayaks. This is something to consider if you live some distance from where you want to use it.
If you want to take children out for long trips then a tandem vessel is the right decision, they can help with the paddling but rest when tired.
Many tandems also have space to accommodate a pet as well as 2 adults.
The length of these along with twice the paddle power make it easier to gain and build speed.
Top 10 Tandem Kayaks Available
Ocean Kayak Malibu
- Enjoy sun and surf with a friend or a furry companion with the kayak's three seating positions, which support solo, tandem, or tandem paddling with a child or pet.
- A pair of Comfort Plus seats provide four-way adjustability, generating a custom fit and greater slip prevention over molded seats.
- Patented overlapping foot wells allow center-seated paddlers to settle in and brace their feet comfortably. Hatches - None
- The open, sit-on-top hull makes it easy to get on and off the kayak and includes a pair of molded-in handles and skid plate.
- Maximum capacity of 425 pounds; measures 12 feet long and 34 inches wide. Lifetime warranty on the hull.
The Ocean Kayak 12-Feet Malibu Two Tandem Sit-On-Top Recreational Kayak has a capacity of one, two or two and a child. This is a spacious, best tandem kayak that is comfortable and easy to use.
- Capacity for 2 adults and a child or pet
- Lightweight yet sturdy
- Two seat backs included
- 12 foot long
- 3 different colors to choose from
This is one of the most popular, compact, lightweight sit on top kayaks that is stable and durable. It can be paddled by just one person or two as well as enough space for a small child or pet.
Included are two comfort plus seatbacks which will drastically improve the comfort of your kayak. There are also gear straps as well as overlapping footwells, handles and a skid plate.
The design of this kayak makes it easy to dock, store and transport. Measuring at 12 foot this kayak will offer stability and ease to begin your kayak journey.
If you are tall or need a lot of legroom then the Ocean Kayak 12-Feet Malibu Two Tandem Sit-On-Top Recreational Kayak is a good choice. It is available in three different colors – yellow, sunrise and envy.
- THE PERFECT KAYAK FOR OUTDOOR FUN: Our Brooklyn Kayak Company BKC TK219K tandem kayak has extra space to fit 3 - making it ideal for paddling with kids on family adventures and epic fishing trips.
- FULLY LOADED ACCESSORIES: Our kayak comes equipped with 2 soft padded seats, 2 adjustable aluminum paddles, 2 waterproof hatches, 6 built in rod holders, 2 paddle parks, and 1 bungee cargo tie down. We have all the accessories you need for your next excursion.
- CRAFTED FOR STABILITY: Our Roto Molded single Piece High density polyethylene material is superior to inflatable kayaks and a capable craft on ocean, lake, or river, while supporting up to 595 lbs. Our kayak will remain balanced even in choppy waters or swift currents thanks to its 34-inch beam, and it offers superb stability for fishing in all sorts of conditions.
- BUILT-IN FISHING ROD HOLDERS: 4 flush-mount rod holders and 2 articulating rod holders allow you and your fellow fisherman to keep multiple baited lines in the water at once or just keep the rods out of your way during paddling. Whatever your preference, convenience is always an option.
- WATER RESISTANT STORAGE: Keep all your valuables dry inside the BKC TK219K's dual watertight storage hatches. With one for each seat, your gear is always in reach. The rear cargo space with bungee cord will hold all of your fishing stuff and outdoor gear.
The Brooklyn UH-TK219 is a tandem, sit on top kayak that is also equipped with 5 fishing holders.
- 12’3″ long
- Fits 3 people
- Includes 2 paddles
- Includes 2 seats
- 2 cargo hatch areas
- Easy to carry
- 2 paddle parks
The Brooklyn is lightweight and nimble enough to be handled by 1 person but can fit 2 adults comfortably and a child or pet.
With a 34 inch beam, this kayak is virtually capsized proof and it offers a very high level of stability. For this reason, it also doubles as a great fishing kayak.
There is plenty of storage onboard with 2 hatches and a corded bungee area as well.
Measuring in at 12’3″ this kayak has a total weight of 70 pounds and a maximum weight capacity of 440 pounds.
Included are two aluminum paddles and a pair of deluxe kayak seats. It is available in 4 different colors so the question is which one colored Brooklyn UH-TK219 can you see yourself in?
Sea Eagle SE370 Inflatable Sport Kayak
$294.99 in stock
- 3 person/650 lb capacity, weighs 32 lbs, suitable for up to Class III whitewater
- 370 Deluxe Kayak Package features two movable, super comfortable Deluxe Kayak Seats for improved back support and 2 paddles, foot pump, and carry bag
- 2 AB30 7'10"" 4 Part Paddles with asymmetrical blade and aluminum shaft
- 2 skegs on the bottom for better tracking & speed
- Open and close drain valve, 5 deluxe 1-way inflation/deflation valves
The Sea Eagle SE370K_P is an inflatable tandem kayak that is durable and handles well.
- Integral 5-Tube I-beam Floor
- Two Rear Skegs For Tracking And Speed
- Deluxe One-way Valves On All Air Compartments
- NMMA Certified
- Open and close drain valve
- Five deluxe one-way valves
- Sun & saltwater resistant hull material
- Lashed down inflatable spray skirts
- I-beam construction floor
- Bow & Stern Grab Line
The Sea Eagle SE370K_P can easily and comfortably fit 2 adults with a maximum weight capacity of 650 pounds.
Measuring at 12.5 foot it has a total weight of 33 pounds. Deflated it measures 31 inches x 19 inches x 8 inches making it very easy to transport and store.
There are 3 chambers, 5 deluxe one-way air valves and within 8 minutes your kayak will be fully inflated.
The seams of this kayak are high frequency welded and it is constructed from k80PVC making it durable enough for up to Class III whitewater.
Included with the Sea Eagle SE370K_P package are the oars, comfort seat, foot pump and repair kit.
Sevylor Coleman Colorado
$394.90 in stock
- 18-gauge PVC construction is rugged for lake use
- 1000D tarpaulin bottom and 840D nylon cover provide durable protection from punctures
- Multiple air chambers allow another chamber to stay inflated if one is punctured
- International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions.
The Sevylor Coleman is a 2 person, an inflatable fishing kayak that is durable and designed to last.
- 18-gauge PVC construction
- 1000D tarpaulin bottom
- 840D nylon cover
- Multiple air chambers allow another chamber to stay inflated if one is punctured
- Airtight® System is guaranteed not to leak
- Berkley® Quick Set Rod Holders are adjustable for enhanced hands-free fishing
- Sevylor® trolling motor fittings expand your fishing capabilities
- Paddle holders secure your paddles out of the way
With multiple air chambers in the unlikely event of a puncture the other chambers will remain inflated.
Made from PVC this kayak has a solid tarpaulin bottom and nylon cover which add to the durability of this vessel.
Included are adjustable, comfortable seats for your day out on the water. In addition to this, there are holders included as well as the option to add any other fishing accessories.
Storage areas in the mesh pockets allow you to take your must-have items out with you or any tackle you may need.
The Sevylor Coleman kayak does not include a paddle or a pump so you will need to factor this into your purchase.
5. Intex Explorer K2 Kayak, 2-Person Inflatable Kayak Set with Aluminum Oars and High Output Air Pump
Intex Explorer K2 Kayak
$136.99 in stock
2 used from $143.92
- Comfortable for anyone: Kayak includes an adjustable inflatable seat with backrest; Cockpit designed for comfort and space
- Dimensions: Inflated size 10 feet 3 x 3 feet x 1 feet 8 inch; Maximum weight capacity: 400 pounds
- Directional stability: Removable SKEG for directional stability
- Increased visibility: In case of emergency, bright yellow color helps visibility
- Made for smaller bodies of water: Explorer k2 is made for smaller bodies of water including lakes and mild rivers
Intex K2 manufacture inflatable kayaks without a high price tag. The K2 is a tandem kayak this is a popular choice amongst many casual or vacation paddlers.
- 10 ft 3 inches long
- Boston valves for quick deflation
- Inflatable I beam for rigidity
- Made from heavy-duty vinyl
The Intex K2 measure 10’3″ long and 35inches wide with a total weight of 24pounds and a maximum capacity of 400 pounds.
The inflatable seats attach to the floor by velcro strips. The strips at the rear are longer than those of the front and this always you to position the seat wherever you like.
Made from heavy-duty vinyl this kayak is durable and also has a removable skeg for directional stability.
The Intex K2 is made for smaller bodies of water such as lakes and rivers. I wouldn’t be comfortable taking this out on the ocean or in rough conditions.
Vibe Kayaks Yellowfin
- KEY FEATURES | 3-person sit on top fishing kayak - 13ft 80lbs multi-person kayak - perfect for fishing, travel, or family recreation - 500lbs weight capacity
- MOUNT FOR ACCESORIES | 2 flush mount rod holders with caps and 4 Mounting points for Scotty, RAM, or Railblaza mount rod holders
- OPTION TO RIDE SOLO | Optional center paddle position for solo paddling
- MULTIPLE STORAGE OPTIONS | 2 sealed hatches with bag inserts, large bungeed rear tank well and bow cargo bungee system
- EXTRA FEATURES | Adjustable foot rests for customized comfort
The Vibe Yellowfin is a 13 foot tandem kayak that can accommodate 2 to 3 people.
- 13 foot
- 2 Vibe Hero Seats
- 4 easy-grip carrying handles
- 2 built-in cup holders
- Adjustable foot braces
This kayak includes two framed hero seats as well as foot braces for a comfortable experience. Equipped with 3 seating positions, two adults can easily fit and there is also room for a child or pet.
With the included rudder you can maneuver this kayak easily and it tracks exceptionally well.
Measuring 13 feet long and 35 inches wide this kayak is fairly heavy at 80pounds but is extremely stable as a result.
This kayak also includes 2 flush mount holders with caps along with mounting points for other fishing accessories.
Multiple storage options via 2 sealed hatches as well as a rear bungeed tank well and bow cargo bungee system.
The Vibe Yellowfin includes a limited lifetime warranty and is available in 4 different colors.
- Perfect for a team of two without sacrificing performance
- Adjustable seatback positioning for personalized fit and comfort
- Center molded-in seat for a child, pet or paddling solo
- Quick-adjust footrests accommodate paddlers of all sizes
- Storage hatches with protective lids in front of both seats
The Perception Pescador 13T is a tandem kayak that also doubles as a great fishing kayak.
- 13 foot long
- Bow & stern day hatches
- Easy to carry
- Paddle parks
- Molded-in footwells
- Comfort Seating System (CSS)
The Perception Pescador measures in at 13 foot long and 34 inches wide and has a total weight of 69 pounds and a maximum user weight of 500 pounds.
Due to these dimensions, this kayak is versatile and extremely stable making it ideal for anglers as well as recreational paddlers.
There is enough room to comfortably seat 2 adults as well as room for a child or pet. There are also two hatches as well as front and rear bungeed storage areas.
You will need to buy paddles to go with the Perception Pescador 13T and the storage hatches do not include the dry bags. Overall this is a high-quality best tandem kayak that is suited to families, couples and fishermen alike!
Old Town Canoes & Kayaks
- Old Town's innovative Auto Trim hull is designed to prevent the bow from popping up when someone is seated in the stern seat, creating added stability.
- Remove the front seat to store extra hunting or fishing gear or to give your dog plenty of room to ride along.
- The adjustable Comfort Flex seat includes a supportive seat back and extra padding for all-day comfort.
- A Glide Track foot brace system creates a comfortable, stable platform to help you maneuver through rough waters.
- Keep multiple fishing rods positioned for the catch with the six rod-mount receivers and two Cannon rod holders.
The Old Town Kayak is a top-quality tandem that is built for ease of use for both solo and tandem paddling.
- 13’6″ long
- Weighs 62 pounds
- Auto Trim Hull
- Includes 6 Cannon mount receivers, 2 Cannon rod holders, and cup holders
- Glide Track adjustable foot brace system
- Maximum load range is 450 to 500 pounds
This kayak handles very well on lakes and quiet streams and at 60 pounds is fairly easy to transport as well.
Exceptionally stable, this kayak tracks well and the included seats are very comfortable for extended kayaking trips.
There isn’t much in the way of gear space in the cockpit so I’d recommend investing in a dry bag.
Comfortable enough for two dogs many customers agree that there is ample space for a child or 2 small dogs.
At this price, the Old Town Kayak offers excellent value for money. A purchase that you won’t regret!
ADVANCED ELEMENTS Inflatable Kayak
$597.00 in stock
- Built-in aluminum ribs define the bow and stern and improves tracking
- Three layers of material for extreme puncture resistance.Folded size 35 X 21 X 12 inches. Max Weight-550 pounds. Weight-52 pounds
- Pre-assembled at the factory; simply unfold, inflate, and attach the seats
- High support, adjustable padded seats provide comfort for hours of paddling
- Three seat locations allow for paddling solo or tandem
The Advanced Elements is a tandem inflatable kayak that performs exceptionally well.
- Built-in aluminum ribs
- Good tracking
- Three layers of material for extreme puncture resistance
- High support, adjustable padded seats
- An integrated pressure relief valve in the floor
- D-ring tie-downs
- Paddle holders
- 6 chambers & deck lacing
- Folded Size 35″x21″x12
Measuring 15 feet long and 32inches wide, as this is an inflatable it is lightweight at only 52 pounds. The next great factor is that the maximum user weight is 550pounds!
Pre-assembled in the factory to use this kayak simply unfold, inflate and attach the seats – simple as that!
The kayak is made from highly durable material but it does come with a repair kit in the unlikely event you’ll need it.
A good level of adjustability, there are three different locations to be positioned for solo paddling and tandem paddling. Another great feature is that the user can have the deck of the Advanced Elements open or close.
Lifetime Sport Fisher Single or Tandem Kayak
- Blow molded from High Density Polyethylene for superior strength and durability; Backed by a 5-year limited manufacturer warranty
- Designed to seat up to 3 people; 500 lb. weight capacity
- Hull design provides ultra stability and great trackingDurable High-Density UV-Protected Polyethylene HDPE Construction Resists Fading, Cracking, and Peeling
- Multiple footrest positions for different size riders
- Includes: 2 double-sided paddles, paddle clips, 2 padded backrests, 3 fishing pole holders, and a 6’ storage hatch
The Lifetime Sport Tandem Kayak is a specifically designed fishing kayak but is worthy of a mention for the best tandem kayak!
- Durable- made from High-Density Polyethylene
- Designed to seat up to 3 people
- Ultra stable
- Great tracking
- Multiple footrest positions for different size riders
- 2 double-sided paddles, paddle clips
- 2 padded backrests
- 3 pole holders
- 6’ storage hatch
- 5-year limited manufacturer warranty
A great option for those wanting a tandem kayak that can also be used for fishing or taking kids or pets along for a ride.
This kayak is 10 feet long which means it’s small enough to store and transport easily but still offers a solid amount of stability while using it.
Manufactured using high-quality materials this kayak is definitely built to last. The design is built to resist fading, cracking and peeling.
Ample storage this is a 6′ hatch along with pole holders as well as 2 double-sided paddles and 2 padded backrests.
The final feature to seal the deal is a 5-year warranty with the purchase of a Lifetime Sport Tandem Kayak.
Key Features to Consider
When choosing the best tandem kayak you’ll need to take into account a few key things. Depending on your budget will change how many extra features or a more enhanced quality kayak you will get.
As mentioned a tandem is much longer than a standard kayak and they are also quite a bit heavier. A tandem will generally range from 75 pounds to 100 pounds meaning you’ll need a few hands to help you carry one.
Another thing to consider would be investing in a kayak trolley but you’ll also need to think about transporting the kayak to the waterway. Access to the roof racks of your car or sliding it onto a kayak trailer will both need to be considered.
Tandem kayaks will range anywhere from 10 feet to 20 feet so logistics will also need to factor this in. The length of the kayak will also relate to stability.
A longer kayak will displace more water making it more stable. This is a big feature many newbies to the sport look for. No one wants to be flipping out on their first go!
Having said that, longer kayaks make it more difficult to maneuver so there is a trade-off you must decide upon with length and the stability vs maneuverability.
Let me just say right now that when you purchase your kayak do yourself a favor and purchase a comfortable kayak seat.
If you plan to kayak for long periods of time you will begin to feel uncomfortable pretty quick into the journey without a seat.
Another thing to consider is the legroom and then any other comforts you may like such as drink holders.
For long trips, storage is definitely needed and even on short trips if you’re carrying a mobile you’ll probably want a dry storage area to store it. Watertight and dry compartments will give you peace of mind that any belongings you want to take will remain safe and secure.
Even if the kayak were to tip over, any stored belongings will be securely stowed. If you do choose to skip the storage compartments, consider investing in a dry bag and a bungee cord. Attaching the dry bag via the bungee to the front of the kayak will be great for the minimalistic kayaker.
A kayak can be a large investment and although they are built to withstand a lot, consider purchasing one with a lengthy and solid warranty.
Tandem kayaks are great fun and are a fantastic way to include the whole family. A must-have for families with young kids as well as for group adventures. The design of these vessels is more stable to account for multiple people and they can fit up to 3 people although they are most comfortable with 2 adults. There are many on the market so read through the reviews and take your pick!
Still haven’t found what you’re looking for? We’ve compiled a detailed list of the best kayak brands –(click here) available. Also, don’t forget, you’ll need a seat, paddle and cover for you new purchase!
Best Tandem Kayaks Available
Tandem kayaks are a great investment if you spend a lot of time near the water but don't want to carry two single kayaks everywhere. They are also fantastic with kids and even have space for a pet to come onboard. The models reviewed in this post are all high quality so read through the key features and make your decision.
- Ocean Kayak Malibu
- Brooklyn Kayak
- Sea Eagle SE370 Inflatable Sport Kayak
- Sevylor Coleman Colorado
- Intex Explorer K2 Kayak
- Vibe Kayaks Yellowfin
- Perception Kayak
- Old Town Canoes & Kayaks
- ADVANCED ELEMENTS Inflatable Kayak
- Lifetime Sport Fisher Single or Tandem Kayak