“Call a plumber” or “call the landlord.” Those are the two phrases that immediately come to mind if you’re a homeowner or a renter who has plumbing issues. And while plumbers make anywhere from $40K to $250K (depending on location and company ownership), there’s an argument to be made that there are a few things you should know about your own bathroom without assistance.
Do you know the best toilet repair kit off the top of your head? Maybe not. Do you know how to turn your hot and cold water off? Do you know how to turn the water off at all in your bathroom? Can you drain the water out of your toilet? Chances are if you can do the last three, then you could probably install a complete toilet repair kit on your own and save yourself some money. Now whether you want to is a question only you can answer. But your checking account, as a homeowner specifically, may thank you later for learning.
Best Toilet Repair Kit
Plumbcraft 7029000 Toilet Repair Kit
1 used from $9.68
- Lower water consumption
- Complete kit-all of the parts you need to completely upgrade your toilet: fill valve, flush valve, tank-to-bowl gasket, bolts & washers, water saving caps, toilet flapper, and flush lever
- Low water consumption–includes (7) color-coded water flow adjustment caps to adjust water savings by up to 40%
- Long lasting– all components constructed of advanced corrosion- resistant materials
- Easy installation– a simple and easy to follow installation manual is included in every kit
Before you use all of the parts in this kit, make sure it’s not just a matter of replacing one part. A common problem with toilets is running water. This video gives a step-by-step tutorial on how to easily fix this within minutes. Whether you just need to pinch the clip on the fill valve to make sure your water isn’t too high or the flapper needs to be changed, this video is pretty simple to follow. As long as you know how to turn your toilet water off, this is just a matter of unhooking and hooking.
- Lower water consumption (color-coded flow adjustment caps)
- Corrosion-resistant material
- Installation manual included
Depending on the age of your toilet or even competing hardware stores around your neighborhood, it may make more economical sense to just buy a toilet tank repair kit with all of the parts included. This way, should another part wear out, you have them on hand. This kit comes with bolts, a fill valve, a flush lever, a flush valve, a tank-to-bowl gasket, a toilet flapper, washers and water-saving caps.
- Reviewers confirm several parts may not work for all toilets (2-inch valve instead of 3-inch valve; overflow pipe not adjustable)
With the caps alone, you can save 40 percent on water usage by lowering the levels. While you may want to replace the part that was broken, perks like the water usage caps may be worth replacing, too. Save yourself more money in the long run while the water is already out of the tank.
Korky 4010PK Universal Complete Toilet Repair
15 used from $19.64
- TOILET REPAIR KIT: Allows for a full overhaul of your toilet & is designed to fix no/slow refilling, running & noisy toilets. It has a universal design to fit all brands & features a wide range of adjustability.
- FIX RUNNING TOILETS: The easy to install 4010 includes fill valve, flapper, refill tube, metal refill tube, hardware, flush valve, bowl gasket & instructions. No hack saw required.
- LONG LASTING CHLORAZONE red rubber resists chlorine, bacteria, city water treatment, hard & well water.
- WHY KORKY: Our high quality toilet products are universal & specific to both older & modern toilet models. Our repair parts are easy to install & made exclusively from long lasting chlorazone red rubber.
- REPLACEMENT TOILET PARTS: Try Korky Toilet Repair because we continue to commit to designing toilet repair parts that are unviersal to fit the majority of toilets. Designed & manufactured in Wisconsin.
This video guiding people through how to replace a fill valve replacement comes in handy for two reasons: You may only need to replace the actual valve instead of the entire part and it gives step-by-step directions if the entire thing needs to come out. If you’re unsure of whether your “base is in good condition,” watch this video to see how a toilet works first.
- Metal and chlorazone rubber is bacteria and chlorine resistant
- Designed to work with 2-inch flush systems
- Designed and manufactured in Wisconsin (United States)
This toilet kit includes a cone washer, coupling nut, universal fill valve, flush valve, gasket, mounting nut, premium flapper, refill tube plus tube clip, tank-to-bowl gasket, other necessary hardware and an instruction manual.
The goal of this kit is to help you avoid common toilet repair problems such as no/slow water refills, constantly running water, a stuck float and noisy toilets. And it does so while also skipping older technology (i.e., ballcocks).
- Will not work on 3-inch flush systems
- One reviewer needed more red washers, flat washers, and six nuts than included in the package; confirm amount needed for your particular toilet before uninstalling toilet repair kit
If you are purchasing this product for an American home and prefer “Made in America” parts, this may be the best toilet fill valve kit for you. If the manufacturer’s home location doesn’t matter, then other perks like the quiet flush or parts made from long-lasting chlorazone red rubber will make the decision for you.
Universal Toilet Fill Valve Kit
- Toilet Tank Fill Valve Replacement, Fix cracked, noisy, slow filling valves with the quietest
- Adjustable fill valve Universal design fits most toilets brand like kohler, toto, American standard and others
- Toilet fill valve height adjusts easily between 7.8inch - 13inch
- Maximize toilet performance and save water.
According to SF Gate, “Toilets manufactured in the 1980s use 3.5 gallons per flush.” Models manufactured before the ‘80s used even more water—between five and seven gallons per flush. Picture the gallon of milk in your fridge or the pitcher you just filled up. Is that not a lot of water each time? And that’s just for one person. So if you have a large family, it’s no wonder your water bill can skyrocket. This is one of many reasons to at least humor the idea of saving more water with your next toilet kit.
- Adjustable fill valve from 7.8 inches to 13 inches
- Universal design
Sometimes buying better products such as these can be all the results you need to improve on your water supply. Or, watch this video to make sure the fill valve is adjusted correctly before replacing it. One reason mentioned for the “leaking water” issues with toilets is potential cracks.
- One user with an older toilet got a longer filler tube to keep it out of the way of the flush lever
Additionally, with the internal filter, this should make the valve easier to keep clean. Best of all, reviewers guesstimate the time to install at 10 to 15 minutes. Although toilet repair kits often say “easy install,” verified users actually confirmed it.
Fluidmaster Universal Toilet Fill Valve and Flapper Repair Kit
$9.97 in stock
6 used from $7.98
- Features the proven 400A anti-siphon toilet fill valve
- High Quality and durable toilet fill valve
- This product has a 5 year warranty and is the solution to fix a noisy and running toilet
- Ideal product for use in 3.5 gallons per flush toilets or larger
- Includes the 400A Fill Valve and the 501 Flapper
One of the strangest problems to have is to be nowhere near your toilet and it flushes. This “ghost flushing” could be a matter of internal or external leaks. Adjust the refill tube in the overflow pipe so it isn’t in there as deep. If that doesn’t work, it may be time to replace the flush valve altogether.
- Flapper fits 2-inch flush valve
- Toilet fill valve adjusts between 9 inches to 14 inches
- Fill valve has anti-siphon design
By choosing a full toilet repair kit such as this one, you can optimize your toilet performance. Upgrading both fill and flush parts at once instead of one-by-one may eliminate your leaking issues or potential cracks altogether at once. If you have the patience for trial-and-error fixes, and potentially draining your water all over again when another part is needed, go for it.
- Works better with 3.5 gallons per flush toilets or larger
If you’re looking for a trusty brand that’s been around for a while, Fluidmaster has been making durable toilet repair parts and kits since 1957.
HydroClean Water-Saving Toilet Fill Valve Repair Kit
$10.00 in stock
5 used from $7.99
- WATER-SAVING toilet fill valve with built-in mini-valve that adjusts tank refill water level
- DETECTS LEAKS: The water-saving toilet fill valve sounds an audible alert when a leak is detected making you aware of any potential issues that must be addressed
- CLEANING JETS: Strong jets stir up debris in toilet tank in order rush any dirt down the drain with every flush keeping your toilet tank cleaner
- EASY ADJUSTMENTS: Shuts off water inside tank making repairs a snap, refills quickly, and has an adjustable height of 11 inches to 13.8 inches
- EASY INSTALLATION: Smart Nut helps with easy installation without tools in most standard toiletes
Unless you keep a constant eye on the inside of your toilet, it can be difficult to keep track of whether your tank has rust, sediment or slime buildup. The cleaning tube jet on this particular fill valve does the monitoring for you.
- Height adjustment from 9 inches to 14 inches with one-fourth turn
- Built-in mini-valve to save on water
- Float lock shuts off the water inside the tank
In addition to the cleaning tube in this kit that flushes dirt down your drain after each flush, this fill valve also detects leaks, has a “Smart Nut” for easy installation (and ideally no tools) and has an audible alert to notify you of leaks.
- Several users complained about leaks from faulty flush valves
Although even the best toilet repair kits are supposed to not need tools, keep tools nearby anyway. You may have to work with older parts that are destined to need a minimum of an adjustable opening wrench and rib joint pliers.
HydroRight Universal Water-Saving Total Toilet Repair Kit
$20.67 in stock
6 used from $15.99
- SAVE WATER and MONEY: Easily converts a standard toilet into a 2-button, dual flush toilet that saves water and eliminates common leaky toilet problems due to a worn out flapper, handle, or faulty flapper chain. Uses up to 70% less water for liquids and paper
- EASY NO-TOOLS REQUIRED INSTALLATION: Installs without tools in 5 to 10 minutes - tank removal not required.
- COMPATIBILITY: Works with standard-flush valves and requires 10-inch minimum clearance from highest point of the flush valve opening to the inside of the tank lid. Not compatible with Mansfield toilets.
- SMART TECH: Detects leaks and signals when a leak is found. Jets clean toilet tank and parts with every flush. LightTouch button
- -DURABLE: Chlorine and chemical resistant and will not warp.
Sometimes just adding something new to your bathroom is all it takes to have a remodel design. In this case, this two-button, dual flush toilet not only has a next-level appearance. It also helps you decrease wasted water by 70 percent with a patented mini valve that will help you control the water levels.
- Tank removal not required
- Jet cleans toilet tank and toilet parts
- LightTouch button
In addition to this toilet repair kit self-cleaning dirt and debris from your toilet, it’s also chlorine and chemical resistant. This means the supplies will not warp. The smart technology on this kit will notify you of leaks via a signal.
- Not compatible with Mansfield toilets
- Requires 10-inch clearance (minimum) from the space between the top of the flush valve opening to the inside of the toilet tank lid
- Reviewer found repair kit incompatible with ‘70s model toilet; water level was too low
- Blue dome gasket may be incompatible with angled flush valves
Ideally, because the dual flush convert sits vertically onto the flush valve, this will seal the area better and eliminate toilet water leaks. How? There is no flapper nor a chain that can possibly wear out or get caught in anything.
HydroStop Toilet Tank Flapper Replacement
$10.40 in stock
- ELIMINATES LEAKY TOILET FLAPPER: Engineered to eliminate the most common toilet problem of a leaky flapper by it's robust design
- COMPATIBILITY: Easily adjust to work with newer and older toilets. Fits most front, side, and angle mount toilets with standard 2" to 2-1/2" flush valves. Does not fit Mansfield toilets.
- STOPS OVERFLOWS: Toilet handle activates spring loaded S.T.O.P. Technology to immediately prevent overflows
- NO-TOOL INSTALLATION: Drop-in installation requires no tools or tank removal needed
- DURABLE MATERIAL: Permafit silicone seal is chemical resistant (avoids warping) and a steel cable stronger than a normal flapper chain
If you’ve had one too many gripes about replacing rubber flappers, it may be time to try something new. The HydroStop may be more reliable than the rubber versions, plus the rubber seal ideally has a better seal on the flush valve opening.
- Fits most front, side and/or angle mount toilets
- Sufficient for 2-inch to 2.5-inch flush valves
- T.O.P. technology to prevent overflows
Engineered to eliminate leaky flappers, this toilet tank flapper replacement has a permafit silicone resistant and avoids warping. The steel cable is stronger than your average flapper chain too. Installing this replacement does not require tank removal. The kit also includes a HydroStop system, chrome finish handle and instructions to add both.
- Does not fit Mansfield toilets
To prevent water overflows, pull the tank lever (handle) up. The spring-loaded seal stops the toilet flush valve immediately.
Universal Toilet Tank Repair Kit
1 used from $11.33
- TOILET REPAIR KIT: The Danco Toilet Repair Kit includes replacement parts for the most common toilet parts that cause a leaky toilet and will restore your toilet to its original working condition.
- TOILET FILL VALVE DIMENSIONS: The fill valve height is approximately 8.5 inches from the bottom of inside the tank.
- TOILET BALL ROD FLOAT & BALL FLOT DIMENSIONS: The length of the brass rod is 7.75” and the length of the float is 5.5”; when the brass road is threaded into both the float and threaded into the fill valve, the total length of the rod and float ends up being about 11.75”.
- TOILET FLAPPER DIMENSIONS: The toilet flapper is ideal to replace worn-out flappers and is designed to fit 2 in. toilet flush valves.
- EASY TO INSTALL: Easy installation instructions with the need for common household tools such as screwdriver and adjustable wrench.
Imagine how much water it would take to fill up a backyard swimming pool? Or, maybe a trillion gallons of milk jugs? That’s how much water the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) speculates is leaking in your home in one year. It’s not just toilets. There’s also leaking pipes and dripping faucets. Finding these water waste issues can save you up approximately $1 for every $10 spent paying for water.
- Plastic construction
- Universal flapper with adapter
- Float ball with rod
Newer toilet repair kits are steadily popping up with alternative options to the float ball and rubber flush valve. Smart technology and vertical flush valve flappers aren’t hard to find online. But if you’re comfortable with tried and true repair kits, or have an older toilet that isn’t compatible with newer technology, this kit (with a ballcock and refill tube included) is easy to recognize.
- Best suited for 2-inch flush valves
Danco is marketed as of the largest plumbing repair, replacement and remodel suppliers in the home improvement industry. The company focuses primarily on empowering DIY consumers with affordable plumbing solutions.
KOHLER GENUINE PART Silent Fill Toilet Fill Valve Kit
$17.34 in stock
6 used from $11.63
- Kohler genuine part
- Silent fill provides a gracious experience by filling the tank quietly
- Multiple fill-rate inserts are provided to optimize performance and conserve water.
- Adjustable to accommodate any height, compatible with various Kohler toilets.
- Confirm shank color to determine correct part; If grey, use this part and if black, use GP1083167.
Are you unsure of whether you have a leak? Use the EPA’s tip of adding a drop of food coloring in the toilet tank. If the color shows up in the actual toilet bowl in 10 minutes or less, without flushing, you have a leak. If not, you are in the clear.
- Silent fill volume to fill tank water
- Multiple fill-rate inserts for water conservation
- Adjustable height
If you notice that this fill valve seems pretty close to Fluidmaster, that’s not a coincidence. According to a toilet repair kit reviewer, this model is similar to the Fluidmaster PerforMax model, along with the click-in restrictors.
However, the Kohler brand clearly confirms which brand you purchased. One of the main differences between the two is the ability to use this fill valve for traditional toilets as well as foam-insulated tanks.
- Cap color may vary from the featured image
- Countless reviewers complained about this item being nonrefundable; only buy with certainty of compatibility
This Kohler Silent Fill Valve Kit is compatible with most, but not all, Kohler toilets. Verify your toilet measurements, as well as the shank color, ahead of time to determine correct parts before purchase.
Plumb Pak/Keeney Toilet Tank Repair Kit
$20.41 in stock
- The product is manufactured in china
Making sure your flush valve is on the up and up should be a priority. Running water wastes more than 200 gallons of water per day. And it can be resolved with kits that are usually somewhere around $20 to $30, not including labor costs—or no extra labor costs if you do it on your own. But pay attention to kits that require the tank to be removed from the bowl, such as this one. Two-piece toilets weigh approximately 55 pounds while one-piece toilets weigh almost 90 pounds. If you are not prepared to support that kind of weight, find a friend who will help with your DIY job or go with the pros.
- Easy push-button for water level adjustment
- Lock ring for height adjustment
- Fast-fill design for tank refill speed
This toilet tank repair kit has a timing cone on its flapper. Choose high performance or the water conservation option to decide on which speed and level you prefer. The complete kit also includes bolts for 2-inch or 3-inch toilets, nuts, a washer and a sponge gasket for a tight seal.
- Must remove tank to assemble the flush valve
This product is manufactured in China. For installation, the manual includes printed instructions, diagrams, and photos to help your DIY project along the way. If video instructions are your preferred way to learn, click here for a visual tutorial.
FLUSH 'N SPARKLE Complete Toilet Repair Kit
- Everything needed to restore and improve your toilet performance Plus keep it clean
- Ez-twist fill valve height adjusts from 9 inch to 14 inch to fit most tanks
- PerforMAX flapper adjusts to optimize performance and fine-tune how much water you flush
- Includes flush 'N sparkle hands-free bowl cleaner
- 5 year
If you’re used to just using the simple circular discs into your toilet for cleaning, you might want to check this toilet repair kit out not just to fix your toilet but also for a unique way that it helps to keep your toilet bowl cleaner longer. There’s a reason that popular toilet tab deodorizers require you to not touch the tablets directly.
Although strong deodorizers and good for keeping your tank clean, they are also flammable, combustible, may burn your eyes, harm your gastrointestinal tract and aggravate asthmatics. You must flush your toilet at least once a week, and be very careful with DIY projects that involve getting tablet water onto your skin. The hands-free bowl cleaner helps you from making direct skin-to-chemical contact with the product and does not touch any of the toilet tank parts, which can malfunction.
- EZ-twist fill valve adjusts from 9 inches to 14 inches
- PerforMAX flapper adjusts for water conservation
- Flush ‘N Sparkle hands-free bowl cleaner
In addition to Fluidmaster being in business since 1957, their product is available in more than 90 countries. This kit includes a 2-inch flush valve, flapper, tank lever, tank-to-bowl hardware, and gaskets. The bleach kit in this product is also included. Do not use it until after the tank repair kit has been properly installed and runs correctly. The bleach Flush ‘N Sparkle hands-free bowl cleaner is included, but you can also buy the blue cleaning cartridges or septic tank cartridges separately.
- Best suited for 2-inch flush valves
Although some toilet kits have no warranty and are nonrefundable, this tank repair kit has a five-year warranty.
Toilet Top Filter Fill Valve
- ✔️High Performance Universal Float Valves - 200,000 flushes. Running smoothly like new even in hard, well or dirty water. Durable seal, robust design & Unique innovative water cut-off structure fix slow, noise, leak
- ✔️Easy Install & Quick Repair Toilet Replacement Kits
- ✔️Fast Filling Up Toilet Tank Repair Valve & Operates in Low and High Pressure Settings - Refill Rate: 5.2L/m (0.5Mpa) & 0.01Mpa - 2.0Mpa wide working pressure toilet valve, which is an improvement for your home's busiest commode guest bathroom or commercial restrooms
- ✔️Save Water Replacement Toilet Parts - Only 35 mm (55mm in market) distance from water level to top of fill valve, easy customizing the fill height for your ideal water line. Perfect for small short and space restricted toilet tanks.
- ✔️ Adjust Height Between 9” – 11.5” : Compatible with Single or Dual flush Valve, Replaces outdated, inefficient, slow, cracked, noisy inlet valves, include the complete sets ( fill valve, mounting nut, cone washer, refill tube, water-saving clamp, hardware and an instruction manual ) a dependable, economical option
If you’ve reached the end of this list, then water conservation is probably on your mind. And if you’re a bidet owner, you may be wondering if owning a hand-held bidet or a bidet toilet seat is making you wastewater more. Actually, it’s not. A bidet reportedly uses about one-eighth of a gallon of water to clean and flush. Meanwhile, a roll of toilet paper uses 12 to 37 gallons of water. And if you have to plunge your toilet from too much toilet paper, keep packing on the gallons. So while you’re looking into repairing your toilet, maybe consider bidet options for water conservation too.
- Top-inserted filter for cleaning
- Suitable for low tanks (shortest distance between working level to top is 35mm)
- Fill valve adjusts for height (9 inches to 11.5 inches)
Whether your actual toilet is narrow, in a dark area of the bathroom or in a confined space, the filter on this fill valve is easy to clean without disassembling, unlike traditional fill valves. Ideally, any future repairs and replacements on a toilet repair kit such as this one can be removed and re-inserted instead of taking everything apart. Although the goal of your toilet is to avoid dirty water, this toilet repair kit has ultra anti-dirty and anti-siphon performance features.
- Not much available information on WillBidet
This fill valve is also compatible with a surface-mounted cistern for a Cistern bottom connection. Now whether you want to invest in a wall-mounted toilet is another post altogether. Click here for general visuals of how it would look.
As with any DIY job, there will be some that are a total breeze and others that are a nightmare. Whether you choose any of the 12 toilet tank repair kits above and try them on your own, it is important to make sure you understand what each part does before attempting to repair your toilet. There are countless images online that will point out each part, if your instructions don’t already. In addition to the (hopefully) helpful videos to make you more familiar with your repairs, make sure you have your tools, towels and a dish handy.
While the goal is to be able to fix your toilet as quickly and easily as possible, always be prepared for the worst-case scenario. And anything water-related should always include a few handy towels during the trial-and-error stages of plumbing. And if all else fails and you realize you’ve gotten in over your head trying to do the plumbing work yourself, call experienced professionals who are used to these kinds of jobs.
This way, you’ll at least know whether you can blame the toilet repairs on the parts long before the warranty expires. Even with the best parts available, keep an eye on your toilet to see if anything strange happens. Because unlike other DIY jobs that you can throw in the recycle bin or trash, your toilet is one of few jobs that has to work regardless.
Best Toilet Repair Kits
Choosing the best toilet repair kits is easy with our comprehensive reviews.
- Plumbcraft 7029000 Toilet Repair Kit
- Korky 4010PK Universal Complete Toilet Repair
- Universal Toilet Fill Valve Kit
- Fluidmaster Universal Toilet Fill Valve and Flapper Repair Kit
- HydroClean Water-Saving Toilet Fill Valve Repair Kit
- HydroRight Universal Water-Saving Total Toilet Repair Kit
- HydroStop Toilet Tank Flapper Replacement
- Universal Toilet Tank Repair Kit
- KOHLER GENUINE PART Silent Fill Toilet Fill Valve Kit
- Plumb Pak/Keeney Toilet Tank Repair Kit
- FLUSH 'N SPARKLE Complete Toilet Repair Kit
- Toilet Top Filter Fill Valve