Baby monitors can be hacked, there are many incidences where this has, sadly, occurred. Are there more secure baby monitors than others? Yes! In the following article, I will explain how baby monitors are hacked and what the most secure baby monitors are!
What are the Most Secure Baby Monitors?
Digital Baby Monitors
Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor
9 used from $94.10
- 2020 Award Winner: Babylist Best Baby Monitors Of 2020 *(Awarded On January 8, 2020)
- Perfect Size & Weight Ratio - No Large Batteries To Power Energy-Hungry Large Screens. The Dxr-8 Is Light-Weight And Portable, Designed For True Mobility Around The House. 10-Hr Battery Life On Power-Saving Mode, 6-Hr With Screen On.Care & Cleaning: Spot or Wipe Clean
- Full Viewing Control - The Dxr-8 Is A Baby Monitor With Camera Features Such As Pan/Tilt/Digital Zoom And Interchangeable Lens. Fit The Zoom Lens To See Even Closer, Or Zoom Out With The Wide Angle Lens. Expandable Up To 4 Cameras
- Robust And Mature Hardware - The Dxr-8 Is Fine Tuned And Refined Over Years Of Iteration From Feedback Of Real Users. Trusted By Over A Million Parents, Our Award Winning Monitor Is Backed By Vigorous Testing And Quality Control
- Range Up to 700 feet (line of sight, no obstruction)
A digital monitor cannot be viewed on smartphones, tablets, and anything that needs a WiFi connection. This makes them much safer than other cameras using a WiFi network.
There are many digital baby monitors on the market but I highly recommend the Infant Optics DXR8. This is a popular choice amongst many parents looking for a reliable and secure baby monitor.
In a nutshell, this is a closed-circuit camera system that is virtually hack-proof.
Nest Cam Security Camera
Nest Security Camera
4 used from $126.64
- 24/7 live stream video in full 1080p HD over Wi-Fi. Check in from anywhere at anytime. Send clips to family or friends in 1920x1080 resolution.
- Night vision featuring 8 high-power infrared LEDs provide light for clear video in the darkest conditions.
- Mobile alerts and notifications let you know as soon as your camera spots activity. Take action or save the event for sharing later. 3-hour snapshot history makes sure you don't miss a thing.
- Industry-leading security means that your video feed and information is well protected. Enable two-factor authentication and take your account protection to the next level.
- Free trial of Nest Aware for 30-days. Experience 10-day video history intelligent alerts and activity zones. Keep the service starting at $6 per month for your Nest devices after the trial ends.
The Nest Cam is actually a home monitoring unit but can also work as a stationary baby monitor. This system uses WiFi to connect to your smart device for remote viewing.
There have been a few tests where people have failed to hack their live, online feed. It is possible for others to take the files stored within the system, however, they need to take the camera completely.
In terms of being hack-proof, this is the best choice although it may not be the best baby monitor choice. You will need to pay for a subscription with the company as well as experience slight delays.
This also means you don’t have the pan, tilt and rotate options nor the other features specific to a baby monitor. If you are happy with that though then the Nest Cam is a good choice.
Levana Baby Monitors
Levana Jena Digital Baby Video Monitor
- 1 Night Vision Camera & 1 Monitor
- Rechargeable Battery
- 2 Power Adapters
- Instruction Manual
- 1-year Warranty
Levana equips all their cameras with a ClearVu signal developed and used only with Levana. This is a closed-circuit or digital monitor meaning no one can see the camera video aside from the user. I recommend the Levana Jena but there are many other models by this company.
How are Baby Monitors ‘Hacked’
Via Hidden Accounts
Within baby monitors, there are ‘hidden accounts’ which are essentially a back door into the system. These are used by support staff and administrators of the company you bought the monitor through. It may seem like a secure system but to a hacker getting in through this portal can be easy.
Security Flaws- No Encryption and Default Passwords
If you use WiFi to access your baby monitor via a smartphone or tablet then you are at risk. Internet connections offer the ability for passwords to be hacked via the serial number of the device.
You want to change any passwords that come with the device and make them secure. Use a password generator if you are unsure of a complex password. The harder the password the harder it is to hack.
Ways to Increase the Security of Your Baby Monitor
There are a few ways you can increase the security of your baby monitor so let’s take a look.
- Buy a New monitor as opposed to a second-hand monitor
- Register your monitor with the company, this means you will be informed of security updates and software updates
- Change the password if there is one. Use a very challenging password, the more difficult the harder it is to hack.
- Secure your home WiFi connection
- When not in use, turn off your baby monitor.
Install a FireWall
You can check if your router is secure and you can install a firewall, have a professional do this if you are unsure.
That way you can create an extra wall of security between your home WiFi and any devices using it.
Secure Baby Monitor
Finding a secure baby monitor should be high on your priority list as a new parent. There are, sadly, many cases of baby monitors being hacked. There are a few models that are virtually hack proof so try one of those listed above.
- Levana Jena Digital Baby Video Monitor
- Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor
- Nest Security Camera